Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sugestions for sealing a hair line crack in rad

Options
  • 30-05-2008 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭

Before I head off to the motor factors has anyone any idea whats good for sealing a hairline crack at the top of a rad on a 96 carina-e. Those ones you pour into your cooling system do they still cause clogging these days??. Is there a simple/cheap soloution that will seal the crack from the out side, something I can put on and leave it to harden

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I don't know of anything that would harden and seal the crack yet still resist the temperature that the rad works at. Something like Radseal might do it, and not cause problems with the cooling system, but whether or not it could fill a crack (that may flex under temperature changes) is another matter. You might be able to braze the crack if you have the means, or get someone to do it if they have a suitable oxy torch. Otherwise it does sound like a trip to the factors since you don't want to risk a blown engine and a roadside breakdown for the cost of a rad?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Recommend you try Novastop. It's about €20 a tin, but you don't need to use a whole tin, so you should have plenty left over. I know Consort have it, probably other motor factors too.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

Cheers lads,Esel seen that stuff and it did say on the in that it doesnt clog. Will give it a try;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

There is that stuff called Rad Weld by holts or Wynns I think. our it in and it seals the crack I have used it in the past with no problems at all. Great stuff.

Advertisement