Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boland's Last Year

Options
  • 30-05-2008 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Is that a fact!?Because if so she'll definitely come up as she's due anyway(02 05 ...). The other poet I'm doing is Rich (my teacher says she's 99.9% she'll come up in her first year on the course BUT it took 6 years for Montague to show up)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I hope she comes up...

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Rich and Boland all the way, maybe a bit of Mahon Frost on the side, but yeah, I think one of the other two will come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 DancingRainDrop

I heard that too
    And my teacher thinks Rich is most likely to come up
    But wasn't it meant to be Plaths last year last year?And she is still on the couse

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

Well i hope that Boland + Mahon + Rich come up but particularly Boland because her themes are simple to learn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

OP, What makes you think this is Boland's last year? On the front of my poety book there is a page that shows which poets are prescribed from '07 - '10 and according to that Boland is on the syllabus again for 2010..

Im studying Mahon/Rich/Boland anyway. I just hope Mahon comes up, he is really easy to spoof about (managed to get 82% on him off the top of my head in the pre). Im also just going reading over sample answers from those poets from the like of e-xamit.ie.
    When people say they are studying poetry I sometimes wonder what people are doing.. I mean, your not expected to know poems off by heart, you have no idea what question is going to come up..
    I don't know, I think im just going to write down key themes/points about all the poems then learn them off. I may do a sample answer or two then Monday or Tuesday. Although for me Chemistry > English so I know what im going to be concentrating on night before the exam..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Adventure

Rich will definitely come up!

And the question will most likely be:

" Write an introduction to the poetry of Adrienne Rich for new readers.
    In your introduction mention the following points:
    • Her use of language and imagery
    • The ideas that were most important to her "

This type of question always comes up the year a new poet starts.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Adventure wrote: »
    Rich will definitely come up!

And the question will most likely be:

" Write an introduction to the poetry of Adrienne Rich for new readers.
    In your introduction mention the following points:
    • Her use of language and imagery
    • The ideas that were most important to her "
    This type of question always comes up the year a new poet starts.:pac:
    I don't understand that type of question. If they're new readers you could basically tell them anything because they haven't read her poems and therefore cannot disagree with you?

It could start something like this:
    Adrienne Rich is a remarkable poet who dealt with the vast theme of Computers. In her poem Boards.ie Rich invites the reader into the fascinating mind of a Leaving Cert Student....

Ah well, back to study methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Ya I would very much like it if she came up, but all the same I'd rather Donne. Find it so easy to talk about his themes... stuff you have a interest in is always better and I like the way he challenges religion and how woman are apparently ''perfect''

Advertisement