Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping a dog in an apartment??

Options
  • 30-05-2008 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I recently posted about a dog found and now its in the pound. If no one claims him I'm gonna take him, dunno how long for yet - will either find him good home or keep him :)

I live in an apartment though? Is that really cruel?
    Our balcony is huge... would it be mean if I got a kennel and had that on the balcony for when we're at work?
    We live right beside the park and will have time to bring him on walks and play with him, it's just the matter of going to work and going out at the weekend and stuff and leaving him there.

Any suggestions, opinions, experiences??

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Hi Michelle, what breed of dog did you find, and how old is he or she?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 michelle66

He's small enough, I think a Jack Russell cross. Have no idea how old he is. Not a pup anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Doh! Sorry just saw your other thread. You'll probably get a million different opinions about this - personally I wouldn't like to leave a dog on a balcony, no matter how big it is, and especially during the winter. It's possibly quite windswept. Could you perhaps leave him inside? And would you be able to get home to him or get someone else to drop in on him while you're at work?

Yeah I know, it's not ideal is it!
    Nah don't think I could get anyone to drop in.
    He could stay inside, the place is big enough but I'm thinking about his poor little bladder. Like I'd have him indoors with us when we're in!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

michelle66 wrote: »
    I recently posted about a dog found and now its in the pound. If no one claims him I'm gonna take him, dunno how long for yet - will either find him good home or keep him :)

I live in an apartment though? Is that really cruel?
    Our balcony is huge... would it be mean if I got a kennel and had that on the balcony for when we're at work?
    We live right beside the park and will have time to bring him on walks and play with him, it's just the matter of going to work and going out at the weekend and stuff and leaving him there.

Any suggestions, opinions, experiences??

Cheers!

Chances are that it's against the Management Co rules to keep a dog in your apartment. If it is then you'll be in contravention of your lease by keeping one and they can make you get rid of the dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Dogs in Distress (DID) work out of Ashton Pound so they should be able to sort him out. I wouldn't recommend leaving a dog out on a balcony all day while you're at work. It is imo cruel and I know that any of the rescues I deal with would not rehome a dog to someone who was going to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

I wouldn't leave a dog on a balcony either. Apart from the cold, it's the best way to get in trouble with your neighbours if the dog happens to be a barker ! ;-)
    I know leaving a dog indoors while you are at work isn't ideal but he should be ok if you get him out for a play just before you leave and when you come back.
    ValerieR

Nah dogs are allowed, plenty of people have them in our apartments.

Thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

It depends how long your at work for really.....ideally they need to go to the toilet about every 4 hours, so if your working from say 9-5 you could take him out for a short walk (15 mins?) before work, get a dog walker to come in at about 1pm or come home for lunch and take him out and then he could go out for his proper walk (about an hr) when you'd be home after work.

You could also get him a companion so he wouldn't be lonely. dog's are pack animals so like to have company of another dog usually. (if he gets on well with other dogs)

Personally, I think if you're not willing to pay for a dog walker or possibly get him a companion then you should try and find him a home with more company.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

Hi Michelle

I lived with my dog in an apartment for 2 years but either my boyfriend or i went home to her at lunch time to bring her out for toilets. Also I brought her for at least a half an hour walk before work to tire her out so that she would have a good sleep while we were at work and then she had a good walk in the evening to get her out and about. I think the key is to give them good walks so that they are perfectly happy to sleep when you're not there but being out all day wouldn't be good really. The dog may start getting very frustrated and take it out on your apartment. You're very good for looking after the dog though.

• Advertisement

Sorry Michelle I meant to say I definitely don't think the kennel on the balcony is a good idea.

I lived in Madrid last year and the place is mostly apartments and there are alot of dogs as pets. Its going to start happening more and more now .

I think given the right amount of time and training with the dog and so on. All will be fine.

Toulouse !!!! there is a blast from the past .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bainne2

Is it just me that seems to be worrying about the dog jumping off the balcony after a bird or something?:eek: Adding a kennel to that would just give him a launching pad!!

Perhaps you could ask a neighbour to come in and let him out for a toilet break for ten mins?

Toulouse !!!! there is a blast from the past .

O/T Hey Dre, long time no hear, how goes? :)

OP: I would make contact with DID and see if he has a rescue space or foster offered. http://www.dogsindistress.org He'll be in the urgent action needed section.

I agree with Bainne, I'd be terrified he'd jump off the balcony. Long walk in the morning, toilet break at lunch and then walk in the evening would be the way to go if worst comes to worst and you have to take him back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 entershikarisim

some dogs are suited to apartments... i dont think jack russell types are though, terriers love to dig, play etc.. if i were in your situation i'd probably bring him to the DSPCA where they dont have that silly 5 day death penalty thing or else find a home for him myself in a friend, or find another No kill shelter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

michelle66 wrote: »
    Nah dogs are allowed, plenty of people have them in our apartments.

Thanks for your help.

Really? I'd be very surprised if they were, it's a standard provision put into practically leases that there are no dogs allowed. Just because loads of folk have them doesn't mean that they are allowed.

Loads of folk have satellite dishes in my complex and they ain't allowed!

You do live there though so I'm sure you know the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Overdraft

Really? I'd be very surprised if they were

I'd hazard a guess Michelle knows her own apartments' rules.

Michelle, you're great to consider taking this dog in but I'd definitely think twice about it unless you can find someone to take him out for a walk during the day. I'm not even keen on people leaving a dog in a garden all day on his own but a balcony (or even inside in the apartment) is, I think, a no-no.

Whatever you decide, though, good on you for giving it all some thought. Best of luck.

Yeah I knew it wasn't the best of ideas, but I just had to confirm it and you're all right!

Thanks a million!

The pound is ridiculous, I was ringing them all weekend as their hours are 10-2 and when I called they had an answering machine saying that their offices are open between 10-2 on the weekend, that's when I was bloody well ringing!
    Then they rang me this morning saying that the dogs time is up and they close at 5pm, i dont finish work til 5.30.

They are useless and have no consideration for dogs in the slightest.

Grrrr!!!

Michelle, I'm PMing you a few numbers of girls who work with the rescue group who work out of Ashton. Will you please make contact with them to see what the story is?

I'm guessing this is him http://www.dogsindistress.org/node/2582

you are a little star, thanks!!

for some reason I couldn't get onto that site!

• Advertisement

No problem, I hope it's good news!

Michelle, won't you please keep us posted as to what you're gonna do with the little fella? I hope he'll be ok and find a good home and family for his little self. You're fantastic for doing what you've done so far and he's lucky to have had you.

Advertisement