Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Online Web Storage?

Options
  • 30-05-2008 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm interested in storing all my files on the web.

What /who is the best
    What are the Pro's and con's

Is there a limit to the amount of space

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Do you mean as a backup?

Carbonite are pretty good. They charge $50/year for unlimited storage. The user interface is very good also.

It wouldn't be suitable for anything other than a backup though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tanora78

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,709 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

For just a few critical documents (product keys etc) I go with gmail.

For the $50 a year you will want to be backing up a lot of data, frequently. Otherwise you may as well burn to a DVD or purchase an external hard drive. In terms of Memory/Cost ratio, hard drives are by far the cheapest media.

Medium size file storage (say 1/2gb for your work files) thats a good question. And would seem to merit an online server.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

i use mediafire.
    havent had any problems but i suppose you need something bigger thats free

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

DFS UTD wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm interested in storing all my files on the web.

What /who is the best
    What are the Pro's and con's

Is there a limit to the amount of space

thanks

www.humyo.com

25gb free - never let me down...ever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

jimbo78 wrote: »
    Do you mean as a backup?

Carbonite are pretty good. They charge $50/year for unlimited storage. The user interface is very good also.

It wouldn't be suitable for anything other than a backup though

+1 for Carbonite

I use them to backup photos.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

http://www.jungledisk.com/

Unlimited bandwidth/storage space, pay for what you use, uses Amazon datacentres, replicates your files across datacentres in different continents, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Havent tried it myself but I've heard good things about Windows Skydrive. 5GB online storage for free but you can't upload any file bigger than 50MB which is pretty crap

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

CuLT wrote: »
    http://www.jungledisk.com/

Unlimited bandwidth/storage space, pay for what you use, uses Amazon datacentres, replicates your files across datacentres in different continents, etc.

Haven't tried them but only limit I see if a 5gb max file-size. Seems fine besides that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Overheal wrote: »
    For just a few critical documents (product keys etc) I go with gmail.

For the $50 a year you will want to be backing up a lot of data, frequently. Otherwise you may as well burn to a DVD or purchase an external hard drive. In terms of Memory/Cost ratio, hard drives are by far the cheapest media.

Medium size file storage (say 1/2gb for your work files) thats a good question. And would seem to merit an online server.

mozy provides a free 2gb account, pretty good and solid reviews.

Mozy Unlimited for one desktop is 4.95$ p/month unlimited - however if you reinstall your OS on the mozy backed up PC (unless you do a restore from an image which includes their client software), their servers will not recognise your new install as the same computer and you won't be able to restore your backed up files. (!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement