Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yaris, Corsa, Micra or Aygo ??????

Options
  • 30-05-2008 9:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

What is the best overall new car in terms of price (July), performance, mpg, resale value etc ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Had the pleasure of driving a 07 corsa last weekend for the weekend and i have to say that it was very nice indeed. Good handling and was fairly economical. Was fairly easy to drive also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Yaris or micra.... yaris are cheaply designed , cheaply put together but with decent quality parts, as is the aygo.

The micra is the same but meh if you looking for parts and stuff like that to help out your bhp the micra is the cheap.... all you need is a new exhaust as the current one on all the models seems a bit restrictive....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

S.I.R wrote: »
    The micra is the same but meh if you looking for parts and stuff like that to help out your bhp the micra is the cheap.... all you need is a new exhaust as the current one on all the models seems a bit restrictive....
    I'm confused. Are you saying that If someone were to buy a Micra today, they should also order a new exhaust? Why? What do you mean by 'restrictive'? Why on earth would anyone who buys a new car also pay for a new exhaust for it? Explain please.

Also, OP, what about the Renault Clio or Ford Fiesta? You could also consider the Fiat 500, European Car of the Year! Of the models you've listed I would say the Corsa is a fun, comfortable drive but the Yaris will probably go further without needing a refill. Don't know about the Micra, except that personally, I don't like the shape of it.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I'm confused. Are you saying that If someone were to buy a Micra today, they should also order a new exhaust? Why? What do you mean by 'restrictive'? Why on earth would anyone who buys a new car also pay for a new exhaust for it? Explain please.

Also, OP, what about the Renault Clio or Ford Fiesta? You could also consider the Fiat 500, European Car of the Year! Of the models you've listed I would say the Corsa is a fun, comfortable drive but the Yaris will probably go further without needing a refill. Don't know about the Micra, except that personally, I don't like the shape of it.

the exhaust seems a bit small , or judging by the manifold and piping....

imo: get the exhaust manifold drilled out ( 2-3 mm atleast ) and bolt her back on.... larger bore pipe...

it just seems that the only thing letting it down is the exhaust.... this problem was sorted on the R models butthere rare as f***....

S.I.R wrote: »
    the exhaust seems a bit small , or judging by the manifold and piping....

imo: get the exhaust manifold drilled out ( 2-3 mm atleast ) and bolt her back on.... larger bore pipe...

Okay, but what effect will this have on the performance, efficiency of the car? That's not a rhetorical question, I don't know enough about cars to see what effect this would have but imo, it would want to seriously improve performance or efficiency to be worth doing that to a new car. If it just makes it noisier then 'pffft'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Why not wait for the all new Ford Fiesta, looks really good

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/217407/ford_fiesta.html

Restricted exhaust on a Micra.....nonsense.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

I saw Micra review on top gear and I was actually impressed with the standard features, auto wipers, keyless entry and starting couple of other things I cant think of. Not bad I suppose for a small car.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Okay, but what effect will this have on the performance, efficiency of the car? That's not a rhetorical question, I don't know enough about cars to see what effect this would have but imo, it would want to seriously improve performance or efficiency to be worth doing that to a new car. If it just makes it noisier then 'pffft'!

oh lord no it just free's up the power that is there in the engine that isnt being used...

though id say for arg8uements sake you may lose a 1-2 mpg but gain back the original qouted power of the engine.

a decent exhaust is a must for any car, be it a ricer crappy car or a fully blown race car....

Dromcill, have a look at the Parkers Reviews and download the free information pack for the specific model of each car you are thinking of (at the end of each review, on the Facts and Figures tab).

Bear in mind that the figures and prices are British Sterling and that resale values in the UK and Ireland differ dramatically, some cars that 'don't rate' in Ireland are valued in the UK and vice-versa. The specifications on models will also be different (generally better in the UK) but the overall review on comfort, practicality, drivers experience, handling etc should be much the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I wouldn't worry about price/performance/economy until you've been to look at them and driven the ones you can stand to sit into.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

Had the pleasure of driving a 07 corsa last weekend for the weekend and i have to say that it was very nice indeed. Good handling and was fairly economical. Was fairly easy to drive also.

+1 this is the one id recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The new Corsa is nice alright. And you can get them with a built-in bike rack :)

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Tony H

my wife has a yaris , the plus points are 50mpg , great resale value, very easy to drive ,lots of storage on the dash ,under the seats and in the doors ,lots of airbags on the top models so in theory safer than most and very comfortable in the front and back , but to be quite honest its a boring car to drive so if the drive itself is important forget the yaris ,i have driven an aygo and they are really nippy in and around town but on an open road you are blown all over the place , as zube said above ,drive them all before you make your choice .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

my wife has the current model fiesta - its got plenty of room, it handles great and is well put together, but the road noise is a bit much.

I had the latest clio last week for a few days in france - it handles fairly ok (not sporty at all) but the road noise and comfort levels are at a level that could only have been dreamed of in cars such as big mercs and limo's only 10 years ago.

I have driven a few Yaris's - I must say they come across to me as really way behind the current standard for this class. Reliable probably but totally substandard everywhere else.

A friend has the current corsa - I was well impressed with it as far as ride comfort and road noise is concerned ( sorry did'nt drive it )

The Micra too is old enough now - thats why you'll get shed loads of free stuff with it ( run out model )

The Aygo is a class below the rest - and I have never been in one so don't know.

the grande punto should get a shout in too - it would certainly show up the Japs for dynamic abilities

but if I was you I would wait for the new Fiesta - it will be better than the rest - new Fords of the last few years have generally failed to disappoint dynamically and generally raise the bar for a sector when released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

The current Suzuki Swift is a good little car, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I have 05 micra and absolutelly love it. It feels very spacious inside due to the high roof, loads of storage space around, it's easy and confortable to drive. The minus points are that the is only 1 litre and it's a little bit gutless and fuel economy is poor. I tried to calcute this recently and it came out 8.8ltr/100km for a city driving. Also it's not very great for fast cornering because of its height and suspension is set high too. But I'm a slow driver so it doesn't dissapoint me too much.
    I'll be looking into replacing this one with the newer version of it (bigger engine of course) the next year. I love them in beige colour with cream interior :p Loads of people think micras look funny but here I'll quote some review I've read before: "Girls can see a prince in every frog" :D so do I :D

I rented out renault clio last weekend. It was quite nice to drive but I was dissapointed with interior. It felt cheap somehow. And the windscreen pillars were blocking half on the view!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

suzuki swift is the best of them all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I'd go with either the Corsa or Aygo, probably leaning towards the Corsa.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

the new corsa is a nice car but somethings up with the driving postion

if youre looking at the aygo check out the french versions

forget about the exhausts its a new car

there is a new fiesta out this year which I can see being very popular so Id say wait a while and buy something cheap to tide you over till then
    weigh up youre options then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Micra is possibly the ugliest car ever built. Aygo is a rebadged Citroen /Peugeot hybrid - Opels have always been and still are badly built and unreliable cars (from both personal experience and dealing with the trade) - I'd go with the Yaris.

Mind you I've been looking at the Fiat 500 more and more these days it's a lovely car and great value and I'm not normally one for recommending Fiats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,394 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Aygo will have the cheapest feeling cabin, the least amount of boot space, and a seat less than the rest.

The Corsa is the biggest of the 4, and also the newest design. It'd be either that or the Yaris IMO.

The Micra is the oldest, ugliest, and has a flimsy feel to the cabin, it also doesn't have a 5 star safety rating, like the Yaris and Corsa do. Resale is also dismal on them due to the number of pre regs and hire cars that Nissan Ireland put out, and the (correct) perception that it's not as well built as the older model Micra.

So it's down to Corsa or Yaris:

The Yaris is a good all rounder, like the Corsa, the 1.0 engine is 3 cylinder, the Yaris's being substantially nippier to drive, the Corsas 1.2 engine has the same annual tax rate of €150, unfortunately, the Yaris 1.3 falls into the tax category above the 1.0 (unless you go for the MM auto box, then it stays at €150 per year)

Both cars would be on a par safety wise.

The Yaris has 3 years warranty as opposed to 2 years on the Corsa.

The Yaris has always had a very high resale value (as evidenced by the prices of 8 year old Yaris's at the moment) and a huge following in Ireland. Corsa has never had the same resale values despite being a popular car.

I'd probably go Yaris, based on what I've seen of them over the years, they rarely go wrong, and are very well built. I'm not as familiar with the new model Corsa as with the previous generations, but i'd definately have it before the Micra or Aygo. (if money wasn't a factor)

Also consider the Mazda2 and Suzuki Swift.
    eamon234 wrote:
    Aygo is a rebadged Citroen /Peugeot hybrid

The Aygo is a joint venture between Toyota and PSA, all the cars are the same underneath, the car was developed by Toyota, and made up mostly of Toyota parts. The Aygo isn't really a rebadged Peugeot/Citroen, sure there are visible PSA parts in the Aygo (door locks and keys, aeriels, mirrors, some switches) but most of the car is made up of Toyota bits. All 3 cars have proved to be very reliable.

Advertisement