Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What fish is this?

Options
  • 30-05-2008 6:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I got this last week, its some type of sucker fish. Im guessing a catfish...because I was doing a waterchange, making sure he didnt get out. I left the tank with the lid on etc..for about 15 mins, then came to make sure he was still there. Couldnt find him...i eventually did behind the fish tank on the floor (the only way he could have got out is got into the filter, and then out through the hole where the wires come out... And somehow...he was still alive after this?! Now he has stopped sucking on the glass / and is constantly hiding in the tank. He is still alive as he has changed places a few times, but is he just scared?

Image029.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

royster wrote: »
    I got this last week, its some type of sucker fish. Im guessing a catfish...because I was doing a waterchange, making sure he didnt get out. I left the tank with the lid on etc..for about 15 mins, then came to make sure he was still there. Couldnt find him...i eventually did behind the fish tank on the floor (the only way he could have got out is got into the filter, and then out through the hole where the wires come out... And somehow...he was still alive after this?! Now he has stopped sucking on the glass / and is constantly hiding in the tank. He is still alive as he has changed places a few times, but is he just scared?

Image029.jpg
    can ye post a better pic as its not great?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

The photo isn't really clear enough for us to see.
    What other fish you you have in the tank - what size is your tank?
    Sucker fish tend to be shy and very discreet in a tank ; they start being active at night when the lights are out.
    The www.irishfishkeepers.com is an Irish based discussion forum and the members might be able to help you better identify what it is ! :-)
    ValerieR

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

The picture is brutal. It looks like a type of Hillstream Loach or some type of Goby, but the markings don't look familiar. I'll see if i can find out. Any chance of a better picture.

Why would you buy a fish without even knowing what type of fish it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

definatly a Loach ...Looks like Botia Species, Maybia Botia histrionica. Most likely Botia anyway, definatly a Loach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

Then again if you say hes sucks on the glass he may be some sort of otocinclus, Post a few better pics and i'll tell ya 100%

• Advertisement
Advertisement