Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you usually do better in the Leaving Cert than in the mocks?

Options
  • 30-05-2008 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

I got 380 points in the pres but got 35% in Maths.
    I've done no work.

Should I get around the same?

To those of you who have completed the L.C.: Did you do better in the actuals than in the mocks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I got 80 points more in the LC than the pres. I'd imagine most people do better in the actual exams because they've had more time to study and are more used to the outlay of the paper.If you've done absolutely no work, I would say:
    1. you're very silly ,and
    2. do as much as you can until the actual exam. If by then you don't think you'll be able to pass, then dropping down a level would probably be your best option. Better to pass at a lower level than fail at a higher one.

Having said that, if you got 35% with no work, another 5% shouldn't be impossible to get that extra 5% with a bit of hard work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

How long is a piece of string tbh. My mocks were about 150 points less but then they were corrected mostly by our own teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Got 480 in my mocks, 580 in the real thing.

I did do some work between my mocks and the real thing, however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

I went up 90/95

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

i got complacent and made stupid mistakes meaning i went down by about 60.

was lucky that i still got what i wanted.

get the head down kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

If you work between the pres and the LC then up, if not could go either way. Unless you cheated by finding out what was on the mocks ¬_¬

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

It depends how much work you did for the mocks tbh. I did ****-all for mine, and a lot of work for the actual leaving so there was a difference of 95 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

Nah barrett we're all gona fail n go to CTI like losers... :P got 35 percent on the maths meself...

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

id say 99 per cent of people would do better in the real thing. went up from about 450 to 545 i think.

DEFINITELY the best preparation you can do is past papers and thats what most people start doing after the mocks so thats why

and you most likely wernt even finished the maths course before the mocks so you cant be expected to have done well!!

good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I got 380 points in the pres but got 35% in Maths.
    I've done no work.

Should I get around the same?

To those of you who have completed the L.C.: Did you do better in the actuals than in the mocks?
    Well coming up 5% in the maths would meaqn coming up 45 points...
    I'm in the same position for biology actually.
    Got 370 in the pre and need 405. But I failed biology (got 35%) so I had to use pass irish for points which I got 10 points from...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭gaz d

got 265 in the mock and my requirement of a oc3 in maths. i have done a bit of work so hopefully i should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭JMB88

I went up about 100 points from my mocks to the actual LC, along as you've put in the hours since you've recieved your mocks results .... there's no reason why you should'nt improve on your mock results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭xxGalwayGirlxx

well im hoping I do better in my LC than in the Mocks because done nothing for the mocks and got around 120 I think, so hoping for around 250 in the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It depends on your school a bit. Some schools mark the mocks reallly hard so as to scare students into studying more, which is what my school did. Others mark them fairly or generously, which often results in students getting lazy and then performing worse in the LC.

I went up 100 points, so did most people I know. It wouldn't be difficult to go up 5% in Maths, attempt marks etc. and there's also a 2% leeway isn't there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

and there's also a 2% leeway isn't there?

?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Last year I went up 50 points in the real thing to get 320. I failed biology in the mocks so it helped alot to get a C1 in the real thing! Got 395 in the mocks this year so here's to hoping for 400!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭RedXIV

didn't do work for either and went up 210 points. mocks scared the sh1t out of me but i still forgot to study

It depends on how much work youve done since your mocks.

But, last year in my mocks I failed FOUR subjects.. So my mock total came to like.. 150 points. In my leavin I got 350..

So went up 200 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Saam

I went from 490 to 530, not a huge jump but I was expecting to have done worse than the mocks when I walked out of the exams, I thought I had gotten like a C2 or something in Geography, ended up doing the best in my year! Was really bizarre, shows how you can do completely different than how you think you did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Got 375 in Mocks without doing much study, ended up getting 440 in the LC by doing a good couple of weeks of cramming. They say that, on average, you go up about a grade from the results you got in the Mocks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Steveo12345youg

ya i came out with 410 in pres to be honest did a bit of work

i did fail accounting tho!

i need 460/470 at least for primary teaching. need to go up 50/6o therefore

Possible ye reckon?

cheers nd best of luck wed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭whatsyourquota

I went down 20 points but it was all from one subject!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

I went up 80 but it's exactly like everyone says, if you worked between them you'll go up, if not then it's hard to say, I would guess down because you'll have forgotten stuff you knew for the mocks but the exams are kind of unpredictable...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Well one thing is that our teachers gave us a idea what was coming up in a few exams so we don't have the same luxery in the real thing.

Advertisement