Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish & French questions =)

Options
  • 29-05-2008 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Thanks to anyone who can help me with these problems. One is a question, the other is sort of..well..asking for some help? :P

French
    1) Is the subjunctive tense for the reaction questions sought after by examiners? My teacher only briefly went through it cover us for our comprehensions. She said it's not expected from us?

Irish
    1) I might seem a bit late here, but I'm trying to vary my phrases, especially with regards to Paper 2. My own vocab. is strongly linked with the Ceapadóireacht, but I've not really dug deep with regards to talking about Poetry/An Triail/Story questions. Any general/useful phrases which might help me string my answers together?

~Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Ino112 wrote: »
    French
    1) Is the subjunctive tense for the reaction questions sought after by examiners? My teacher only briefly went through it cover us for our comprehensions. She said it's not expected from us?
    It would be worth knowing one or two phrases using the subjunctive, such as "il faut que" (it is necessary). Its not compulsory but would look good. I wouldn't sweat too much if you don't use it though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Ino112

Thank you for the reply. I'll take note :P

I must add another question, nothing too serious though. It's regarding english.

For writing essays, answers etc. instead of the paragraphing in the usual fashion, (new line, indent said line), I skip a line and carry on. Would this be penalized in the exam? I think it makes it a lot easier to read/write, but I woudn't trade it for thiose extra marks I might lose :(

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭armbruster

what are supposed to talk about if a special olympics question comes up?
    Benefits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭lovechem

They came up recently so I doubt they would again, but who's to say? I suppose ya you would talk about the benefits, achievements etc.

My faveeeeeeeee subjunctive sentence:

On doit agir contre ce probleme avant qu'ils ne soit trop tard.
    (We must act against this problem before its too late)

or

Bien que je comprenne parfaitement les causes de....... je regrette que mon gouvernment ne prenne pas de mesure pour supprimer ce phenomene.
    (Even though I understand the causes of this problem(insert prob)I regret that my government is not taking the measuring to supress this phenomenon)

then for journals when complaining bout whatever your problem is

Il faut que je fasse avec
    (its nessecary that I get on with it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Il faut que le gouverement prenne des mevres - It's necessary that the government take steps.

Pour - In order to

Mener - to lead

On doit - One should

J'aime mon petit fromage :D et toi?

I had my french summer test yesterday. Quite easy, probably got an A, B at worst, however, I did crap in the aural!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nerd3000

No, You won't lose marks for skipping a line. But YOU WILL lose marks skipping AND indenting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

lovechem wrote: »
    On doit agir contre ce probleme avant qu'ils ne soit trop tard.
    (We must act against this problem before its too late)

or

Bien que je comprenne parfaitement les causes de....... je regrette que mon gouvernment ne prenne pas de mesure pour supprimer ce phenomene.
    (Even though I understand the causes of this problem(insert prob)I regret that my government is not taking the measuring to supress this phenomenon)
    the first
    we must act against this proble before that they are not too late?!?!?!?
    you mean
    On doit agir contre ce problème avant il soit trop tard :)

you spent goverment wrong gouvernement and it's des mesures, otherwise ur just saying a measure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭lovechem

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    the first
    you mean

you spent goverment wrong gouvernement and it's des mesures, otherwise ur just saying a measure!

ah yes posting at 20 past 12 is never good. Thankfully I'll be doing french at 9.30. Regarding the first one, I was thinking ces problemes ;) oh my. Yes I did leave out an e how silly of me thank you for informing me. One could argue tho that 'de mesure' is acceptable. Like people would say a measure, it doesn't nessecarily need to be plural. Besides I wrote it in my pre(question on the environment) and got 30/30 :D

More sub cause its FUN!!! :D

Uniforms, secularisations etc
    Il faut que nous portions un uniforme.
    (It is necessary that we wear a uniform)

Je ne pense pas que ma vie sait vivable sans le soutien de mes parents.
    (I don't think life would be liveable without the support of my parents)

Journal

Alors il faut que je prenne a temoin. J'avais du mal a m'en dormir, j'ai donc decide d'ecrire un petit peu...............
    (blah blah I have to spill my heart out-Ok not really but yknow the kinda thing. I was having trouble sleeping so I decided to write a little bit)

Bien que la barre est tres haute, il faut que je fasse de mon mieux pour atteindre mon but
    (Even though the bar is high, it is nessecary that I do my best to achieve my goal)

Il faut que je dise que
    (It is necessary that I say that)

Any mistakes sure just let me know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daggy

Irish
    1) I might seem a bit late here, but I'm trying to vary my phrases, especially with regards to Paper 2. My own vocab. is strongly linked with the Ceapadóireacht, but I've not really dug deep with regards to talking about Poetry/An Triail/Story questions. Any general/useful phrases which might help me string my answers together?

~Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Start off your question with an explicit:.
    Aontaim go huile is go hiomlan leis and raiteas thuas.(or something like that)
    and Close it with an explicit :
    Ta siul agam, on meid thuas/on meid ata scriofa agam thuas go bhfuil se soileir gurb i blah blah blah.
    And then your typical --S'eard is teama an dan ann na..-- spiel.

When askes to explain lines:
    An rud ata i gceist sna linti seo na..
    Gan dabht, ta ana bhri ag baint leis na linti seo.

When answering poetry/prois questions and you mention the poet/writer..
    • Nochtann an t-udar duinn conas..
    • Leiritear duinn anseo
    • Leanann an t-udar ar aghaidh leis an teama agus e a fhorbairt.
    • Is leir on meid seo gurb i bron agus dearoil na mothuchain is cumhachtai/eifeachtacht in san dan/ursceal seo.(or whatever)
    • Feictear anseo, an sli is a chuireann an fhile an teama os ar gcomhar.
    • Usaideann an fhile friotal a oireann teama an dan.
    • Is teicnic thar a bheith oiriunach i an teicnic seo, dar liom..

You'll want vocab like:
    Friotal neamchasta, gonnta, cruinn , cumhachtach, laidir.. etc etc.
    Iomhanna, meafar, fuaim, samhail, uaim, aicil, pearsanu, siombaili, meadaireacht.

Doubt that's of much use to you, but it was good practice for me :o haha.Hope you get something out of it.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    the first
    you mean

Actually, on doit agir contre ce problème avant qu'il soit trop tard.

Regards the "de mesure" bit, des mesures would be correct, but you can't say "pas des/un(e)", it's always "pas de". It's like beaucoup de, as well as a lot of others. Not knowing those doesn't look great.

If I remember the LC French curriculum, they love you using lequel/auquel/dont and their relevant forms, I would go over kill on the subjunctive mood, and if possible, use a subjunctive construction that introduces a "stylistic 'ne'", eg J'ai peur que l'on ne soit en retard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 delighted.

question!
    with assez and trop, is it always de that follows, or can it be des?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Ino112

Sorry delighted. I don't know the answer, just have to post to those that replied: Thank you!!! :P

It means alot! ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

obl wrote: »
    Actually, on doit agir contre ce problème avant qu'il soit trop tard.

Regards the "de mesure" bit, des mesures would be correct, but you can't say "pas des/un(e)", it's always "pas de". It's like beaucoup de, as well as a lot of others. Not knowing those doesn't look great.

If I remember the LC French curriculum, they love you using lequel/auquel/dont and their relevant forms, I would go over kill on the subjunctive mood, and if possible, use a subjunctive construction that introduces a "stylistic 'ne'", eg J'ai peur que l'on ne soit en retard.
    woops:)
    thanks for correcting me!!

Advertisement