Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tech Graph

Options
  • 29-05-2008 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

For people doing Tg, i was wondering if anyone has a clear understanding of 1(c) on paper 1 and the second or third part of mining geometry sometimes where you need to find true angles between boreholes, because the rest of the course seems to just be learning methods but these 2 parts dont have any real standard way of going about it, the 1(c) part in particular

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

its different every year....

In general throw a cone in somewhere and you're sorted :)

hope that helped

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Decerto wrote:
    For people doing Tg, i was wondering if anyone has a clear understanding of 1(c) on paper 1

Which types of questions? They ask quite a few different things there.
    Decerto wrote:
    the second or third part of mining geometry sometimes where you need to find true angles between boreholes,

What is it that you have difficulty with there? Essentially it's a matter of taking the bore-holes and turning them so that they lie on the horizontal axis/vertical axis so that you have a normal view of them. At least that's how I always did em.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

What are the most important things to know for the ordinary level course?
    I'm doing paper 2(b)...

do they ever ask logarithmic spiral?...auxilary vanishing pts? anything abstract I could be missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Which types of questions? They ask quite a few different things there.

Thats what im asking about really, is there certain questions they ask you here? or is it just a question to test your conceptual understanding of what your actually doing?

Decerto wrote: »
    Thats what im asking about really, is there certain questions they ask you here? or is it just a question to test your conceptual understanding of what your actually doing?

Yup that's it exactly, apparently they refer to is as your 'spatial understanding'.

They usually ask something different each year, though one of the more common ones is simply drawing in a line given some info about ie at angle X to some line Y, a distance X from some point Y, etc.

That said they have asked nasty things once or twice, but what with it being the final year of the current curriculum I'd expect they wouldn't ask anything too hard. Best way to be prepared for em is to just have grinded out as many of the part c's as possible tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Paper one(c) the ask you to draw a line from a point under conditions, example
    • Angle to the vertical/horizontal plane - draw a cone in plan or elevation
    • Angle to another plane - draw a cone in the view you have an edge view
    • Certain distance in length - usually some rebatement involved

In most cases there are a number of conditions - in that case draw a few cones and find intersection points. I think its a tough question, but the other parts are so easy its worth doing it, so ill be doing it in June. Just know the past papers.

Can't help otherwise cause I'm doing 2 (a). Seems a lot easier than all this talk of geology and bore holes!!!

either of yous know any websites i can find info about them, because my Tg teacher is terrible and he never did the (c) parts and the book he gave us on paper 1 doesnt have anything on them and when i try them on my own i tend to make up constructions which seem kinda logical but generally arnt right

Go to

www.examinations.ie > exam materials archive > marking schemes

and download the solutions. They should be a great help, as they are too me. I know how it feels to have a bad teacher, and I'm not that strong on TG as a result

i have the solutions book, I was looking for something which explained concepts/methods for them because google is coming up blank and my text book is dire

I dont know how to help. Maybe you could skip that question if you were really stuck. Q6 can be aright sometimes, if you know your theory. Or the inter-penetration if your really stuck. Really really stuck :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

As you know part C is different each year, but as an example take 2003. You are asked for the projections of a 70mm line from D, touching ABC @ point 75mm above Horizontal Plane.
    To solve this you need an Aux Elevation showing an edge view of the plane ABC.
    Draw a line 75mm above the X1Y1, The answer 'P' would be where this line crosses the edge view of the plane ABC. Project back to plan.
    In order to find it in plan, you need to locate an inverted cone (triangle) with Apex at D in your Aux Elevation with sides 70mm long.
    The plan of this cone will be a circle, and any point on this circle in plan to D is 70mm. Locate P in plan.
    Project to ele, again height is obviously 75mm.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

blue-army wrote: »
    I'm doing paper 2(b)...

do they ever ask logarithmic spiral?...auxilary vanishing pts? anything abstract I could be missing?
    *bump*

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

True angle between boreholes - Create a plane from the boreholes (just join the endpoints in plan (construction work btw so lightly)), get an edge view (look along that line), look perpendicular and mark + measure your angle.

Qwerty? - I likies your drawing. That's the kindof thing those with poor teachers need to see.

My teacher uses this application that can explain some things quite well - and goes to a very advanced level too. But, I don't know what it is damn. Decerto - are you for LC this year? Your best bet is to understand Qwerty's solution above, most of them aren't more difficult than that - just different. They usually involve edge views or creating a plane so even if you can't complete the part you'll get marks for doing that.

If you're having no joy with that then it's a bit late . . . You can still get a very good grade anyhow so focus on other Qs.

declan_lgs wrote: »
    True angle between boreholes - Create a plane from the boreholes (just join the endpoints in plan (construction work btw so lightly)), get an edge view (look along that line), look perpendicular and mark + measure your angle.

Rebatement!

Thanks very much for the replys, ye i have LC this year, thing is only questions i know fully on paper 1 is 1,3,4 and whatever number cycloids and spirals is, so its too late to consider other questions, but qwertys solution made it seem a whole lot simpler than i thought it was,so maybe there is hope:)

blue-army wrote: »
    I'm doing paper 2(b)...

What questions are you planning on doing?

On the other two questions:-

Logarithmic won't come up in OL afaik, just Archimedian spirals

You can use Aux Vanishing points in some OL Perspective, but you'ld probably be faster (& Safer) using Height lines if you aren't clear on AVP's.

These might be of help for the Skew Boreholes questions.
    the rest of the course seems to just be learning methods but these 2 parts dont have any real standard way of going about it, the 1(c) part in particular

These parts of Honours questions are designed to require an deep understanding of using graphics to solve problems. They require you to solve rather than answer questions by rote learning. Basically they divide the A from the B students.

thanks qwerty, btw what book is that coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 dshalloo

What questions is everybody doing??

Im looking at Paper 1 - 1,3,4,5
    Paper 2 - 2,5,6,7

Any Suggestions or recomendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

I'm doing:

Paper 1
    Lines and planes in space (question 1)
    The Oblique Plane
    Conic Sections
    Interpenetration or Solids in Contact

Paper 2:
    Perspective - I HATE PERSPECTIVE but we don't have a choice in paper 2
    Roof Geometry
    Skew Boreholes
    Earthworks

• Advertisement

Decerto wrote: »
    thanks qwerty, btw what book is that coming from?

Sorry, they aren't from a book, they are just drawing/notes I've done myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 dshalloo

I'm doing:

Paper 1

Conic Sections

Speaking of which i was looking at that for my back up question, but i just dont get the centre of curvature if it comes up without it im sorted! Ya perspective is soooooooooooooooooooo long i have that spare and conics applied but again it can be dodge depends on what your given?

Because its the last year of the course do we think its going to be dead hard?? with a few tricks like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

dshalloo wrote: »
    What questions is everybody doing??

Im looking at Paper 1 - 1,3,4,5
    Paper 2 - 2,5,6,7

Any Suggestions or recomendations?

yup, dont put all your eggs in the one basket! any 4 questions is fine so long as you go in on the day and pick out the ones that you think you'll get most marks in. make sure you have a backup cos I remember alot of controversy last year over the perspective question in paper 2B. Having said that, if you're like me and had a terrible teacher that covered 4 questions from each paper, what can you do!!

Advertisement