Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"Play in my steering wheel"

Options
  • 29-05-2008 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭

I noticed while sitting in my car today with the engine turned off that when I move the steering wheel from left to right there is a little bit of "play".What I mean by play is that the steering wheel moves ever so slight from left to right but the actual wheels of the car do not move.Anyone any ideas what my be worn / wrong somewhere along the steering system? By the way the car is an audi A4

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

With the engine off and therefore the power assisted steering off as well that could be quite normal.

Does it also happen with the engine on?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

It would be normal for a car with a steering box to have a litte play but your A4 has a rack which should not have any play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

peasant wrote: »
    With the engine off and therefore the power assisted steering off as well that could be quite normal.

Does it also happen with the engine on?

I'm not sure I will test it tomorrow

It would be normal for a car with a steering box to have a litte play but your A4 has a rack which should not have any play.

Hmmmm any idea what the problem may be then? I had to get the steering rack replaced about a week ago.The seals cracked and it was leaking power steering fluid

Moanin wrote: »
    I'm not sure I will test it tomorrow

If Mr.Diagnostic is right (and he usually is) you will probably find play there as well :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Hmmmm any idea what the problem may be then? I had to get the steering rack replaced about a week ago.The seals cracked and it was leaking power steering fluid
    You had to get the rack replaced because of leaky seals?

A bit of play is normal on older cars. Knuckle joint wears with use.

If I remember correctly the A4 has 2 UJ's on the colum. These could cause it. Trackrod ends could too.

It is not always easy to detect play so you could also be mistaken. That would be the best solution.

JHMEG wrote: »
    You had to get the rack replaced because of leaky seals?

A bit of play is normal on older cars. Knuckle joint wears with use.

Yip so my mechanic said
    If I remember correctly the A4 has 2 UJ's on the colum. These could cause it. Trackrod ends could too.

It is not always easy to detect play so you could also be mistaken. That would be the best solution.

Along with the rack both inner and outter track rod ends were replaced also. Will bring it to my mechanic to have a look at it.

Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Before you start condemning parts - it could be as simple as an appearance of play due to flexing of the tyre's sidewall which is normal. If you're looking for movement at the roadwheel, watch the wheel itself and not the tyre.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Before you start condemning parts - it could be as simple as an appearance of play due to flexing of the tyre's sidewall which is normal. If you're looking for movement at the roadwheel, watch the wheel itself and not the tyre.

Just had a look as you said.There is still a little "play" and the wheel is not moving as I move the steering wheel from left to right.

Any other theories ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Yip so my mechanic said
    And?

How much of a little actually is "a little" in your case ?

Are we talking mm's or cm's of play in the steering wheel here?

Just had a thought (happens sometimes), didnt the A4 have rubber inserts on the inside of the trackrods that would giv a little movement? If so then a tiny bit of movement would be normal. If I remember correctly there was a recall on these too.

Worn knuckle joints will give a little play, buy thats not normal, thats wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Check here to see if any recalls are outstanding.

How much of a little actually is "a little" in your case ?

Are we talking mm's or cm's of play in the steering wheel here?

A couple of mm's

A couple of Millimeter?

I would consider that perfectly normal.

You're probably only just noticing it now (and slightly over-reacting :D) because it was recently repaired and you had to go and "inspect" it :D:D:D

Don't worry ...I'm the same :rolleyes:

A couple of Millimeter?

I would consider that perfectly normal.

You're probably only just noticing it now (and slightly over-reacting :D) because it was recently repaired and you had to go and "inspect" it :D:D:D

Don't worry ...I'm the same :rolleyes:

True but I like to have it perfect so I will probably run it by my mechanic and see what he thinks.

Thanks

Advertisement