Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No nct cert

Options
  • 29-05-2008 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi all,

A few of us are having a debate. What if you were driving a car with the nct cert expired and you were stopped by the gardai, what would be the worst penalty they could impose on you? Has anyone had any experience of this?

Cheers,
    Ted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I could be wrong but I think they are allowed impound the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

If your NCT disc has expired but you have a letter or confirmation of some sort to prove that you are booked in for your NCT sometime in the near future then you'll be okay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

My wife was stopped recently at a check point, she was worried about her out of date NCT. All they were interested was tax and insurance and sent her on her merry way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Scottie99 wrote: »
    My wife was stopped recently at a check point, she was worried about her out of date NCT. All they were interested was tax and insurance and sent her on her merry way.
    This subject has been covered a zillion times here and this chap is bang on. I have yet to hear of anybody get done for nct cert on its own. The common concenus / boardsies experience is the Gardai dont give a ring about NCT certs, they are only interested in Tax & Insurance. On the off chance you are stupid enough not to have tax or insurance then they will probably stick the boot in.

NB: None of the above applies if you drive an LV/LT/PL/ES/SK/RO etc. reg'd car :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Sizzler wrote: »

NB: None of the above applies if you drive an LV/LT/PL/ES/SK/RO etc. reg'd car :mad:
    Jeez would the begrudgers please stop whining about foreign reg'd cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Onkle wrote: »
    Jeez would the begrudgers please stop whining about foreign reg'd cars

LOL. eh, no. The system is pants. Stop defending it.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭LOTTOWINNER

There was a high profile case, a few months ago, of a judge being convicted for not having a NCT cert, in cork I think, he was fined but I don't think there was any penalty points.

although I have personally have gone through two check points, with expired NCT cert. without any comment from the garda. (tax and insurance were in date)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Max fine of €1250 afair.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement