Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MkV Golf R32?

Options
  • 29-05-2008 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,767 ✭✭✭✭

Any reason why there are so many around? compared to the MKIV R32?

Not that they arent a great car and all the rest but they are maybe a MkV gti + 10% whereas the MKIV R32 was a MKIV GTI + 40%?

Seems strange!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Was the MkIV R32 ever offically sold in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,767 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ah, maybe not? didnt think of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

not sure if the mkiv was officially sold here. mk iv r32 was more aggresive and the mkv is more of a show off car imo. i saw a pic of an irish reg r32 somewhere ill try and get it.

edit: heres the pic: http://www.octane.ie/forum/showthread.php?p=213965#post213965

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Its a good one!

In my exp i think the MK5 R32 has been pushed more by irish dealers as a sort of tail end of the celtic tiger spend your money on a flash car vibe (even though the MK4 R32 was around in the midst of the celtic tiger)

I think the MK5 GTI has alot to do with it,the MK5 GTI is a great car and has put the GTI back on the top shelf as been a proper hot hatch as a result lots of people with lots of spare money are buying them (no problem with that) hence alot of people are going into VW showrooms looking for a car to out do the GTI (in that true irish fashion of keeping up with and passing out the jones-again no problem here) hence we are seeing more MK5 R's on irish roads,without question there are more,i know personally of 2 MK4 R32's over here both owned by enthusiasts,ive seen umpteen MK5 R32's who werent been driven by enthusiasts of course i cant say for certain in every case but i have a few personal examples.

In short no one in ireland cared about or even knew the MK4 R32 existed as no one really latched onto the MK4 gti which was a disappointing car (anniversary model aside) so therefore no noe needed to buy one to keep up with the neighbours,that was saved for the BMW's the neighbour got a 318 you got a 328,then your other neighbour got an M3,no disrespect to BMW drivers but the E46 3 series coupe was the celtic tiger car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

tossy wrote: »
    Its a good one!

In my exp i think the MK5 R32 has been pushed more by irish dealers as a sort of tail end of the celtic tiger spend your money on a flash car vibe (even though the MK4 R32 was around in the midst of the celtic tiger)

I think the MK5 GTI has alot to do with it,the MK5 GTI is a great car and has put the GTI back on the top shelf as been a proper hot hatch as a result lots of people with lots of spare money are buying them (no problem with that) hence alot of people are going into VW showrooms looking for a car to out do the GTI (in that true irish fashion of keeping up with and passing out the jones-again no problem here) hence we are seeing more MK5 R's on irish roads,without question there are more,i know personally of 2 MK4 R32's over here both owned by enthusiasts,ive seen umpteen MK5 R32's who werent been driven by enthusiasts of course i cant say for certain in every case but i have a few personal examples.

In short no one in ireland cared about or even knew the MK4 R32 existed as no one really latched onto the MK4 gti which was a disappointing car (anniversary model aside) so therefore no noe needed to buy one to keep up with the neighbours,that was saved for the BMW's the neighbour got a 318 you got a 328,then your other neighbour got an M3,no disrespect to BMW drivers but the E46 3 series coupe was the celtic tiger car.

That pretty much sums it up! That said, I can't see many people buying them new post-July.... 2K road tax is a lot to fork out to keep up with the Jones's.

On a related note, has anyone else noticed the enormous amount of MKV Golf "GT" on the roads? Are VW giving them away for free or what? Presumably most of them are actually just 80bhp 1.4's, but I ain't impressed with VW for making it resemble its big brother so closely.!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

tdc wrote: »
    not sure if the mkiv was officially sold here. mk iv r32 was more aggresive and the mkv is more of a show off car imo. i saw a pic of an irish reg r32 somewhere ill try and get it.

edit: heres the pic: http://www.octane.ie/forum/showthread.php?p=213965#post213965

Mate bought one from a dealership and had a custom/private/whatever R32 plate on it. Nice car suspension a little bit soft at speed for my liking but i came from a car with coilovers.

The car was comfortable not overly hard at slow speeds. Gripped very very very well. The software that controls the 4wd can be modified to get rw bias. I liked it but i wouldn't pay the money for a new one. In a few years id look at them when they hit the affordable performance car prices.

Mate was a VW nut though and no other car would do him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭MSporty

NiSmO wrote: »

It is the peoples car afterall!!:D BTW thats one of the reasons I got rid of my Mark V R32

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Yeah NiSmO if I had spent my hard earned cash on a 170 I would want something to distinguish it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Isn't wanting people to know how powerful your car is just another keeping up with the jones tactic? Who cares if your car looks the same as the 80bhp one. Why not just get some lettering in halfords and stick 170 beside the GT? Spotted a Sweet MkV R32 in town a while back which was debadged,made it look a little nicer in my opinion.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

I have to agree here there is bucket loads nearly all of them being the 80bhp ones.

AFAIK the Golf GT is not available in the 80bhp version any more.

The Golf GTs with the new styling (different front grill, darkned headlights etc) all have the TSI engine. Either 120bhp (turbo charger), 140bhp or 170bhp (turbo + super charger).

The most obvious visual difference between the 170bhp and the other GTs is the exposed twin exhaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I think the "chrome" hubcap spinners and a tyre-r badge would go nicely as well:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I wouldn't say I'm jealous. You're just annoyed people will think you have an 80bhp car I guess. Are you lacking in something that you feel you need people to know you have a powerful car?

08-02-07_1314.jpg
    nuff said

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I'm getting the GT Sport 170BHP TSI. I wonder what badge will be on the bottom right of the boot - GT or TSI with SI in red?

Don't gloat about ur ability to make the pics smaller haha:D Car looks well, any better pics???

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I know this is off topic but how do you find driving yours? Have you had any problems so far with it?

Can't beat white, fair play, well wear

Advertisement