Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students and study aids.

Options
  • 29-05-2008 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

(mods can you make this a poll with the following options: 1 caffeine, 2 ginseng, guarana or other herbal stimulant, 3 ritalin, 4 street amphetamine, 5 other - please specify, and edit out this text- thanks)

I'm curious as to how many of us are using drugs to help us in the final stages before the exams. I myself have been using piracetam for the last few months, but that is not a drug per se, more of a cognitive enhancer.

Many of my friends use "speed" (street amphetamines) to get them motivated and to allow them to study for long periods without a break.

I personaly would like to acquire some ritalin, but I don't fancy trying to convince my gp that I have ADHD!

Whats your secret weapon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

disssco wrote: »
    (mods can you make this a poll with the following options: 1 caffeine, 2 ginseng, guarana or other herbal stimulant, 3 ritalin, 4 street amphetamine, 5 other - please specify, and edit out this text- thanks)

I'm curious as to how many of us are using drugs to help us in the final stages before the exams. I myself have been using piracetam for the last few months, but that is not a drug per se, more of a cognitive enhancer.

Many of my friends use "speed" (street amphetamines) to get them motivated and to allow them to study for long periods without a break.

I personaly would like to acquire some ritalin, but I don't fancy trying to convince my gp that I have ADHD!

Whats your secret weapon?

Can't see how drugs can help you study. I know there's pressure on right now but do you really think ritalin will help you study better?.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I'm capable of concentrating for more than five minutes, that's my secret. Yup. Also I intend to get a decent night's rest before all of my exams, and remain calm. Usually does the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    do you really think ritalin will help you study better?.

Yes. I have never been so sure about anything in my entire life.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

I actually have ADD, so I have a ton of concerta... (like long lasting ritalin, same chemicals). I'm guessing its actually gonna help people who don't need it, but I need it for remotely normal concentration.
    I don't encourage non-prescription use, theres loads of health risks and the side effects suck.
    It would have some effect on concentration of normal people, but Ive built up a bit of a tolerance and don't get the great effects anymore. ADDs like watching a 20 tvs at once and having no remote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

I always thought ADD was made up. In my school, there are a few people who supposedly have it but I figured it was just down to their attention-seeking.

Lol @ using drugs to get motivated.

• Advertisement

Noodleworm wrote: »
    ADDs like watching a 20 tvs at once and having no remote.

**** sounds dreadful, my sympathys.

What are the side effects?
    Are you a boy? Do you mind if I ask if it makes your penis shrivel (I'm not being funny, its a common side effect of most stimulants!).

**** sounds dreadful, my sympathys.

What are the side effects?
    Are you a boy? Do you mind if I ask if it makes your penis shrivel (I'm not being funny, its a common side effect of most stimulants!).

nope, ima girl. My little brother was on ritalin for a few years. Never heard him complain.
    I just get nausea, dry mouth, twitching, it can cause insomnia that why you only take it in the morning. Theres plenty of websites you can check for this stuff.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

a guy on my year is on concentration pills and if he takes the pills he cant drink, (if he drinks he'll get sick)

on the other he hand he can study for ages without a break

Noodleworm wrote: »
    nope, ima girl. My little brother was on ritalin for a few years. Never heard him complain.
    I just get nausea, dry mouth, twitching, it can cause insomnia that why you only take it in the morning. Theres plenty of websites you can check for this stuff.....

Those websites generally don't tell you about willy shrinkage though:)

Fad wrote: »
    a guy on my year is on concentration pills and if he takes the pills he cant drink, (if he drinks he'll get sick)

on the other he hand he can study for ages without a break

Concentration pills? What are they?

• Advertisement

stimulants and alcohol have opposite effects, their not supposed to mix.
    Also you shouldn't take them without a prescription but I have a feeling anyone who can get them won't listen.... anyway....side affects, tolerance,dependency, withdrawel....just don't go there...

Prescriptions aren't everything. Why should you pay €50 to go to the doctor when you know exactly what you need yourself?

Ritalin is easily gotten from internet pharmacies, but the leaving cert would be over by the time it arrived. I would have no desire for it then as I hate stimulants in general. And I could not imagine getting addicted to such a drug. I know it can and does happen, but not to me! I'm not being naiive, I just don't classify that kind of thing as a "fun" drug. It would be a chore almost for me to take it. I'm only wondering if students are taking it for study aids.

Yes I agree stimulants and alcohol do not mix. Look at Kathy French, cocaine + alcohol = dead as dodo.

Why should you pay €50 to go to the doctor when you know exactly what you need yourself?
    So you mean to say you have a degree in either medicine or pharmacology, and know exactly what'll happen to you when you take strong medication?

Not all medicines no. But there is enough information on various medical internet sites to make an informed decision about certain medication. I only said why should I pay €50 when I know what I should take myself. He will only tell me what I already know.

Obviously if I have some mystery ailment or some problem which I know next to nothing about I would pay the fee without hesitation.

Most doctors refer to the same medical sites as I mentioned above when dispensing uncommon prescription medication. They don't know it all either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Not all medicines no. But there is enough information on various medical internet sites to make an informed decision about certain medication. I only said why should I pay €50 when I know what I should take myself. He will only tell me what I already know.

Obviously if I have some mystery ailment or some problem which I know next to nothing about I would pay the fee without hesitation.

Most doctors refer to the same medical sites as I mentioned above when dispensing uncommon prescription medication. They don't know it all either.
    Are you serious?

I think the reason there is such a system in place is so people like you, who admit to not needed a drug, would happily take with only referencing the internet.

Pharmacy No. 1 for you? I hope not.

Timans wrote: »
    Are you serious?

I think the reason there is such a system in place is so people like you, who admit to not needed a drug, would happily take with only referencing the internet.

Pharmacy No. 1 for you? I hope not.

I don't understand what you mean?

I'm not talking about ritalin when I say I know what I need. I mean say I have sprained my ankle and the pain is so strong that nueofen plus doesn't relieve it at all. Why should I go to the doctor and say I have a bad pain in the hope that he will prescribe me tramadol, when I know I should be taking tramadol all along?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Fish oil and tuna :D keeps your brain healthy and working..
    although.. wouldnt mind some of that ritalin of your at this stage :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

You actually probably should do pharmacy seeing as you have such an interest in the subject, and to be honest, my post was winding you up.

But, you've got to admit that if such a law was introduced where people could get certain drugs without prescription, there would be chaos. Just because you research it and know quite a lot, doesn't mean 99% of people do.

Laws are there to protect those who don't do the research, not those who do.

I agree with the €50 thing simply because I don't think we should have to pay for GP visits at all. (Hell I never go to the doctor because of that...)
    But deciding, due to internet research (and we all know the internet is always right), what prescription medication you need? It's prescribed for a reason.

Timans wrote: »
    You actually probably should do pharmacy seeing as you have such an interest in the subject, and to be honest, my post was winding you up.

But, you've got to admit that if such a law was introduced where people could get certain drugs without prescription, there would be chaos. Just because you research it and know quite a lot, doesn't mean 99% of people do.

Laws are there to protect those who don't do the research, not those who do.

I agree with you totally its just a shame for those of us who do our research (the law doesn't change!)

I have pharmacy down on my CAO. The points are very high and quite frankly down to my lack of motivation this year I doubt I'll get them. I don't think I would enjoy that kind of life anyway. I imagine its pretty mundane. And for those of you who think that a pharmacist can take a few "fun" pills for himself every now and then think again. There is more paperwork involved that a book publishers! There is no way you could get away with it.

Vets on the other hand have much more freedom in that respect!

This thread is totally de-railed!:) And why haven't the mods made it a poll yet!!:mad:

• Advertisement

Yuugib wrote: »
    Fish oil and tuna :D keeps your brain healthy and working..
    although.. wouldnt mind some of that ritalin of your at this stage :(

Omega 3 is great. I definately think it helps cognitive function.

Throughout the exams I recommend taking a daily multi-vitamin. Tesco have some cheap ones, don't pay like €15 for a bottle of tablets in the health shop.

And for those of you who may have to repeat (god-forbid) I suggest piracetam. I'm not going to explain what it is here. Wikipedia have an article on it. Its effects are subtle, but they are noticable and they do help, especially with remembering things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭salman85

my mom and dad are both doctors i would have no problem getting any ADD etc drugs my dad is a pediatrition he usually has alot of samples of these kinds of drugs

i was on a homeopathic medicine which improves problem solving skills and comprehending information

i stoped taking it, its like cheating. i think they should introduce drug testing in exam centers.

now to think of it i would take speed or meth for small periods of time until the exams are over, it will also help my reflexes in counter strike, most of my team take speed when they play, they dont complain about anything.

but its cheating so i wont.

salman85 wrote: »
    my mom and dad are both doctors i would have no problem getting any ADD etc drugs my dad is a pediatrition he usually has alot of samples of these kinds of drugs

i was on a homeopathic medicine which improves problem solving skills and comprehending information

i stoped taking it, its like cheating. i think they should introduce drug testing in exam centers.

now to think of it i would take speed or meth for small periods of time until the exams are over, it will also help my reflexes in counter strike, most of my team take speed when they play, they dont complain about anything.

Good luck finding meth its virtually non-existant in Ireland!
    I doubt your parents would give you these drugs if you didn't really have the condition which required you to take them. It would be bad medical practice and bad parenting (or good practice and good parenting depending on how you look at it:))

How is taking a herbal remedy like cheating? For one herbal remedies are total bull**** and do not work!! Secondly, every student grabs at every opportunity they can get. If what you are saying is true then taking grinds would be cheating.

Counter strike lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

my mom and dad are both doctors
    i was on a homeopathic medicine
    wtf?

Are you sure they're not quacks?

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    wtf?

^lol!

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    wtf?

this is how mature the average irish teenager is :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Lol, it's a straightforward enough question. I don't see where maturity comes into it.

If your parents are doctors, then why in Gods name were you on homeopathic medicine? Are they doctors or homeopaths?

my mom is a homeopath and has a PHD in botany ur point? and reading helps, my dad is a pediatrition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

This thread is making me sigh for the future of our country.
    People are actually considering meth and speed just coz it's the bloody Leaving Cert?:eek:
    If you have to rely on drugs to get you through a few exams, you have some pretty serious problems.
    If you're feeling stressed and getting panic attacks or something, then go to a doctor and get a professional medical opinion.
    There's other ways to settle down and study that don't involve illegal substances.

salman85, if your parents are both doctors do you think they'd recommend you taking meth and speed? And you accuse another poster of being immature? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

I'm capable of concentrating for more than five minutes, that's my secret. Yup. Also I intend to get a decent night's rest before all of my exams, and remain calm. Usually does the trick.

This. Seriously kids, drugs are bad mkay. :D They are only for medicinal and recreational (;)) use, not for study.

Advertisement