Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin stolen - advise please.

Options
  • 29-05-2008 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭

Was in Germany at the weekend, hire car was broken into and Nuvi 300 and a pair of glasses were stolen from the glove box.

I've been searching in "Mygarmin" to see how I can report the unit stolen but can't find a link, can anyone help?

Will never get it back, but I presume that if it is flagged as stolen no one will be able to update the maps on it at least.

Cheers

D-M

BTW hire car insurance doesn't cover me for the loss and VHI travel insurance don't cover it either. Has anyone been able to claim for a stolen unit on their household policy?

invest4deepvalue.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Try Garmin support. It's of little use to you, as GPS receivers are untraceable (they receive only, and don't send information), but at least if anyone else tries to register the device, you might get a name and address of the recipient.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Email these lads cartography.europe@garmin.com

Ask for a Stolen Unit Declaration form, fill it out and send it back, as Krusty said wont do a pile of good but at least it'll be flagged with Garmin as stolen.

Been there, done that :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Do-more wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to claim for a stolen unit on their household policy?

Just to update on this I have successfully been able to claim for a replacement unit on my household insurance (Royal Sun Alliance) but not without some hassles.

First time I tried to make the claim the guy said that the Sat-nav would be classed as a "car accessory" and so was not covered by the policy, however I had to be transferred to a different dept. to retrieve my policy number and when I was transferred back to the claims dept. I got a girl who was much more helpful and said that as the sat-nav was not solely limited to in-car use it should be covered.

Had to ring back the following day to check if the claim was validated and told it was but as the Nϋvi 300 was no longer available they would be allowing me for what they said was it's replacement, a Nϋvi 710!:D

So they are posting me out a cheque for €288 to replace the Nϋvi 300 that cost me €174 on expansys!

So if you are ever in the same unfortunate position as myself be sure and tell them it's not a car accessory!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 25,382 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Way to go and well done but remember to use the security feature on the new unit when it arrives, you set a four-digit PIN number which is required when the unit is powered on.

If you forget the number there are two ways to unlock it: (1) Bring it to a secret location stored when you did the setup, when the unit is powered on at this location it will not ask for the PIN (2) Send it back to Garmin to be unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Cheers

I think I'm going to go for a Becker 7977 this time round!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement