Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2008 Premiership Round 10

Options
  • 29-05-2008 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭

No time to edit this properly, will try do it later.

Friday, May 30
    Adelaide v Essendon at AAMI Stadium, 7.40pm ACST

Saturday, May 31
    Collingwood v West Coast at the MCG, 2.10pm AEST
    Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs at Aurora Stadium, 2.10pm AEST
    Brisbane Lions v North Melbourne at the Gabba, 7.10pm AEST
    Geelong v Carlton at Telstra Dome, 7.10pm AEST

Sunday, June 1
    Sydney Swans v Richmond at the SCG, 1.10pm AEST
    St Kilda v Melbourne at Telstra Dome, 2.10pm AEST
    Fremantle v Port Adelaide at Subiaco Oval, 2.40pm AWST

Picks:
    Crows
    Pies
    Dogs (?)
    Lions
    Cats
    Swans
    Saints
    Power

Also, reported on afl.com.au that crows are bringing over a dublin minor for a trial. might be the 10th Irish player ot be on AFL team books.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Adelaide v Essendon - Crows
    Collingwood v West Coast - Pies
    Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs - Hawks
    Brisbane Lions v North Melbourne - Lions
    Geelong v Carlton - Cats
    Sydney Swans v Richmond - Swans
    St Kilda v Melbourne - Saints
    Fremantle v Port Adelaide - Power

Couple of 'could go either way' games this week.

Despite the morale boosting win for the Eagles last week I think we'll lose to the Pies, but not by a massive margin. Dockers to fuck up again.

Hawks will come unstuck eventually but don't think it'll be this week, while Sydney will have enough in Mickey O'Loughlin's 300th game to defeat an ever improving Richmond.

The Lions/Roos game is probably the toughest to call and I'm merely going on home field advantage for that one. Cats to get back on track, as should the Saints, though it could be a closer game than expected.

Crows to win handy on Friday, though Scott Lucas is rumoured to be making his return for the Bombers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs is the tie of the round. If Hawthorn win it, it will set down another marker for their title credentials. They have depth in their squad as they proved last week and are putting down markers for the title, especially with Geelong's emphatic and deserved beating last week.

Collingwood will want to continue on from that with a win over West Coast. And Geelong will be pushing hard to get back on tack with win against a doing-better Carlton. Surely Fremantle cant lose again, although there is a chance of it.

> Also, reported on afl.com.au that crows are bringing over a dublin minor for a trial. might be the 10th Irish player ot be on AFL team books.

I'd say there will be more of these. I saw Clarke on TG4 last night and he did well. I think he was trying to score from 60m with one of his kicks! He was really in the thick of it with 28 disposals, and he was good at the 'half-back' line and in midfield breaking up play, getting onto balls and laying off good passes. Are there any stats on succesful passes (long, short, etc) ? He seems to make many assured passes. If he keeps it up, there will be many more trials I expect.

Redspider

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

I'm going with the exact same picks as Xavi this week, so don't need to copy them out again!
    Lions v North should be a tight game, I'm just going to pick the Lions as for some reason I just don't like North! I don't know why, there's just something about them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

Apologies for not setting this up properly earlier. Absolute ****e week in work! Anyway, its the (bank holiday) weekend!

Adelaide scraped home against the bombers ina low enough scoring game, 74-69. Brett Burton sounded like the main difference as well as Bock doing well at the back. But the last 10 minutes had no gaols kicked at all! Amazing! Adelaide had a score of 9-20, sounds like some horrible shooting there.

Games on setanta this week are Lions v Roos (10am Sat) and Sydney v Richmond (4am Sun). booo setanta, generally have got the good games each week, but missing the Bulldogs/Hawks game is a huge mistake! Lions v roos shouldnt be too bad, but I think most people would prefer a top 2 game on tv rather than a mid table game. Sundays games are all looking crap on paper, but Syd v Rich looks the best of a bad set.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Boca

Adelaide v Essendon - Crows
    Collingwood v West Coast - Pies
    Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs - Dogs
    Brisbane Lions v North Melbourne - Lions
    Geelong v Carlton - Cats
    Sydney Swans v Richmond - Swans
    St Kilda v Melbourne - Saints
    Fremantle v Port Adelaide - Freo

• Advertisement

Eagles lose by 173-73. Thomas, Didak, Medhurst and Davis had a field day. Pendlebury was super as well. For us Kerr had a very good return while Fletcher, Priddis and Cox were excellent. Can't say the same about most of the others. Staker had an absolute shocker, missing a set shot on the siren that could have kept the margin under 100. Summed up his day.

Hawks come undone today as they suffer defeat against the Bulldogs.

Lol at Freo. Leading at the final change for the FIFTH week in a row and bottled it. Pavlich once again the villain with a poor miss. It's beyond funny at this stage.

Big wins for Sydney and St. Kilda as well today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

yay! another clean sweep on the tipping front. pity I backed against the Eagles to do it tho, but sure we'll call it a rebuilding year anyway!

just checked the fantasy footie too, only 6 points separating myself and skittlebrau now! having a right battle at the top!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

The results this week:

Adelaide 74 Essendon 69
    Hawthorn 74 Western Bulldogs 106
    Collingwood 173 West Coast 73
    Brisbane 129 North Melbourne 98
    Geelong 133 Carlton 77
    Sydney 139 Richmond 57
    St Kilda 129 Melbourne 50
    Fremantle 75 Port Adelaide 103

The key result being the Bulldogs win over the Hawks. That keeps them right in the top-3 and keeps the top-3 very tight.

Geelong get back on the winning tack with an easy win over Carlton.

An empahtic win by Collingwood adds to their top-8 credentials.

Sydney romp home in their match.

This leaves the ladder looking like this:
    Pos Team Pts G W L D % 
    1 Hawthorn 36 10 9 1 0 130.34 
    2 Geelong 36 10 9 1 0 129.73 
    3 Western Bulldogs 34 10 8 1 1 128.45 
    4 Adelaide 28 10 7 3 0 117.34 
    5 Sydney 26 10 6 3 1 136.45 
    6 Collingwood 24 10 6 4 0 125.86 
    7 Brisbane 24 10 6 4 0 111.39 
    8 North Melbourne 22 10 5 4 1 96.96 

9 St Kilda 20 10 5 5 0 100.41