Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do's and Don't of Wooden Floors

Options
  • 29-05-2008 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi Everyone

im having a hard time picking out what wood to pick. i really like light coloured wood like pine but one of my friends got a wooden floor put down all over the house and it is scratched to pieces but i dont like laminate flooring. what are my options. any do's and dont's :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Firstly look at semi solids, they take more impact and therefore do not dent as easily.

Secondly, if you want to avoid scrathes/marks/dents you will have to fit a good dirt/stone collector at every door, have no loose stone on your driveway, no kids, everyone must remove their shoes on entry into the house (provide slippers), no parties as the girls do love their heels, all tables/chairs/furniture must be fitted with pads on legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I think this may be more at home in the Woodcraft forum. - Moved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭mel123

having in my first place had wooden floors (semi solid) and in my second house having floor tiles, floor tiles are definately the best way to go. maybe it was just me, but i was constantly bloody worrying about the wooden floors, getting scratched, marked, heel marks etc. The tiles are bright (i got cream), they make the place look bigger, u dont have to worry about heel marks or scratches and are easy to clean. If you can afford it, go with nice big tiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

if you don't like scratches and light wood, then stay away from walnut

I have oak downstairs and in my kids room that they play in. Its solid and has a good few scratches and bumps but it adds to the character

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 JBCFord

im having a hard time picking out what wood to pick. i really like light coloured wood like pine but one of my friends got a wooden floor put down all over the house and it is scratched to pieces but i dont like laminate flooring. what are my options. any do's and dont's :)[/QUOTE]

If you like the variety and richness of timber and all that comes with owning a nice timber product but dings and scratches drive you crazy and you want to have some peace in your home spend your money on a nice timber cabinet that will appreciate in value not a timber floor

Have fitted many floors over the years for good repeat customers but depending on their lifestyle and family situation you have to be careful what floor you pick and a timber floor are not for everyone

One customer in an up market three bed semi like yourself wanted light coloured timber flooring but they had two small dogs and two cats’ three kids under eleven a nightmare on floors
    Compromise was good quality laminate upstairs and down stairs tile in kitchen and good quality carpet on stairs and landings
    I will be back to their home in five years to fit the flooring they really want and can look after and appreciate when things calm down abit

Every home is different needing a floor covering that the family can enjoy
    And function with without friction
    When you walk through your front door of your home you immediately want to relax
    And not anxious about your floors and who did or did not take their shoos off at the front door
    [ mind you that’s the first thing I do when I get in my front door, on with the house slippers it means my work day is over at last ]

My own home in the throws of renovation, has a dark merbau semisolid on the ground floor witch gets hammered on a daily bases but one mop and it’s like new but then I like the way timber holds the story of its existence
    And good quality laminate in all the bedrooms upstairs
    And again their will be quality carpet going on the stairs and landings

Regards jbcford

http://www.countyfloors.com/species_merbau.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement