Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Driver Update Program???

Options
  • 29-05-2008 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a free driver updater?

I know of DriverMax but their website hasn't been set-up to allow driver downloads and probably won't be in the near future.

Anyone know of an alternative, download.com certain;y doesn't seem to...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Anything here of any use?

http://drivers.softpedia.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Have you tried DriverMax?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    I know of DriverMax but their website hasn't been set-up to allow driver downloads and probably won't be in the near future.

Yes I have they don't have links to the required drivers on the website, the last time I checked. Unless you can inform me otherwise...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I think there was a program called driver wizzard. But i havent seen much about it in a while. You could just install the drivers manually, or install vista.... which will do it all for you when whql drivers are released.

Anti wrote: »
    I think there was a program called driver wizzard.

It seems it no longer exists. I'm surprised theres no freeware for it, it seems the ones you need to buy are they only ones available.

download.com don't seem to have anything anyway, which is the site I use the most.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

look at driverhq.com, driver detective prog.it checks 4 latest drivers.

gamer wrote: »
    look at driverhq.com, driver detective prog.

Seems you hav to pay for this. looking for freeware really.

i think driverguide is free , it scans your pc for drivers needed, just register as a member,no charge.google driver guide.

Nah only a driver scan is free on driverguide.com doesn't seem like there is a free driver update service

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

What drivers are you looking for?

• Advertisement

YOU join driverguide ,register, click reg link in your email, then you can download whatever drivers you want or need.ITS free and simple.THERES also free progs that scan your pc and tell you what needs drivers need updating.THE free version of drivermax will export all drivers to my drivers folder.I know its time limited buy in future winxp can use those files ,with or without dmax.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,720 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Welcome to the cause Zilog.

Vista has an updater built in, that tracks driver updates by default. Maybe theres an XP version. Its simply called Windows Update.

gamer wrote: »
    YOU join driverguide ,register, click reg link in your email, then you can download whatever drivers you want or need.ITS free and simple.THERES also free progs that scan your pc and tell you what needs drivers need updating.

Thanks for you're help but I registered and activated my account and after it had scanned my computer and clicked on the files it brought me to a screen which said if i wanted to download the driver I'd need to become a PREMIUM member, i.e. spend $30.00.

'Fraid I'm using Windows 2000. I think Windows updater for XP only updates Windows not drivers.

You can get drivers through Windows Update in XP (either by going to the site or letting it search online when searching for drivers). I don't think 2000 could do the same.

Again I ask what you're looking for? What is the PC?

I hav attached gifs showing which drivers i require, (the one with download beside them).

There be some overlapping of the drivers they're only 'print screens'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

What if the new driver crashes your system ?

look on www.usb-drivers.com and usbman.com , look for microsoft .win 2000 usb drivers ,download them all, and update device manager,usb devices as necessary,by browsing to the new usb files you, downloaded.
    also look on win200 cd for usb folder.usbman has win2000 usb drivers.

Looks like a laptop - what make/model?

Its a DELL LATITUDE D600 laptop with Windows 2000. There isn't really anything specifically wrong with it, I've got it working the way I want it.

Just want a reliable website/program to keep my drivers up-to-date.

I also have a XP desktop that I'd like to the same.

Thanks for all your help.

knird evol wrote: »
    What if the new driver crashes your system ?

An odd question...

Do many drivers crash systems, haven't had much experience of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    An odd question...

Do many drivers crash systems, haven't had much experience of this.

For sure they do & the wrong ones can play havoc with your system.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

YOU CAN download all the drivers and manuals from dell.ie support anyway.

Yea you are right they probably could play havoc I've been lucky that ones I've tried either refused to install or did not hav any effect. Thats why I want a reliable website. Preferrably one where i don't have to wade thru a sea of driver downloads.

Actually I have downloaded all the possible drivers from the Dell site for this Laptop and all devices are not up-to-date. It is the same with my desktop.

Post the make,model and cpu, mobo type here of your pc ,eg DELL 3200 , abit mobo 540x pentium 4.i got free drivers from driverguide in the past,after registering,its harder 2 find win 2000 drivers,if device is like 4 years old there may not be any w2000 drivers avaidable,just win xp,or vista drivers.

Advertisement