Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hedge / fence best option ?

Options
  • 28-05-2008 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

hi,
    i am planting a new garden in the middle of a field around a new house. i am wondering what type of hedge to set to act as fence and to give shelter as it is a fairly open/exposed spot beside the coast . i would appreciate any words of wisdom either recomendations or what not to plant , the soil is fairly sandy. i would like to put in something fairly fast growing and hardy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Fast-growing, hardy, everygreen and defines your garden. Im a big fan of Leyland Cypress I love that fact that my garden is out-lined by these beautiful conical shapes rather than a boxy looking cut.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Abigayle wrote: »
    Fast-growing, hardy, everygreen and defines your garden. Im a big fan of Leyland Cypress I love that fact that my garden is out-lined by these beautiful conical shapes rather than a boxy looking cut.

The Leyland Cypress has been the cause of more disputes,court cases and legislation than any other plant known to man with the possible exception of cannabis.It can grow to 20 or more metres,completely obliterating light and rapidly becomes far larger than anybody is prepared to trim or prune.In addition NOTHING will grow on the soil underneath the tree.If you want ahedge there are plenty of native species that will encourage wildlife,define your garden and keep you out of the civil courts.
    http://www.pentlandhedge.colwat.com/OL2.htm
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2003/oct/18/uk.localgovernment
    http://freespace.virgin.net/clare.h/arcv/hdg8Prev98-99b.htmhttp://www.broxtowe.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1323

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

foureyes wrote: »
    hi,
    i am planting a new garden in the middle of a field around a new house.

It seems the OP is in a similar situation as me though, we' have no neighbours to dispute with over it. Mine do have branches close to the ground also. Admittedly not as full as toward the centre of them, but I think they make a lovely marginal.

Give her another suggestion then Degs ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 harto

The leylandii have become a very controversial choice of tree for use almost anywhere these days.
    Putting aside the fact that one man's meat is another man's poison, in this case a lot of consideration should be given to the surrounding environment firstly.
    The OP it seems has a house in a countryside setting. Whatever about it's urban use, leylandii has absolutely no place in such a rural environment.
    It is completely out of place and not natural. You can achieve an excellent hedge or screen using native plants and trees which actually belong in a rural environment and naturally complement it. For example a beech and hawthorn hedge can grow to good height and is hugely more pleasing on the eye then leylandii. The only trade off you have is slower growing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i put down a copper beech hedge early this year. still very small, but even the color that is in it already makes me glad i did..well recommend a beech hedge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Abigayle wrote: »

Depending on which county you are in the planting schedule submitted with the planning permission will dictate what should be used...and what cannot
    While we're not being slaves to ours we'll try and plant Native species..

The planting of evergreens such as Leylandii is generally frowned on in the countryside, if for nothing else it supports verry little or no wildlife..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

parents have leylandii in their house, they won't admit it but i think they regret ever putting it down, which was 20 years ago.

must be 20ft tall now, is so much wok to keep in anyway tidy. nothing wil grow near it, and i think it looks terrible.

swore i would ever have any at my house, and won't. recommend you avoid it like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Katzi

please please take up some of the other suggestions - eg. beech (quite quick growing and holds leaves in winter if grown as hedge), hawthorn (native and added bonus of blossom and fruit which will attract birds) or even something like escalonia (evergreen with red flowers in spring/summer) - but not leylandii at any cost.

If you really insist on something quick growing then even 'red robin' would be preferable to leylandii - but still think the other suggestions more appropriate.

You should also remember to consider what the area around you is like. I have yet to see a leylandii 'hedge' that sits comfortably in any habitat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

As i've already mentioned,it practically poisons the soil around it and no wildlife will live near it.You could plant sycamore trees instead,very fast growing and far more environmentally friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I have no affiliation to them but I find the folks at Future Forests in Cork a great resource and keenly priced...

http://www.futureforests.net/br_hedging.htm

I bought 100's of trees both specimen and hedging and all have arrived in top class condition in the post...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭zenzen

i would echo what the others have said and say to stay away from the leylandii anyway. in my opinion it would be a disaster - sure you would have something quick growing but the things never stop! you would regret it down the line because they grow huge and you'll be spending half your time trying to keep them tidy. plus they look very out of place in country houses.

i really like hawthorn hedges myself, and they would be much more sympathetic with the country surroundings than the leylandii. very good for birds etc also.

zenzen

Advertisement