Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVI Plug & Play ?

Options
  • 28-05-2008 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭

I recently got hold of a HDMI -> DVI cable which I now use to connect my PS3 to my TFT PC monitor (http://svp.co.uk/product/lg_m198wa_19_lcd_monitor_with_integrated_tv_tuner_44007_clearance). I would like to be able to hot swap the DVI input at the back of the monitor between PS3 & PC. However, I find that when I disconnect the PS3's DVI connection, and plug in the DVI cable coming from my booted up PC, I cannot get a signal. If the PC is rebooted with the DVI cable connected there is no problem.

Does DVI support plug & play or is this just an issue related to my shabby monitor? If so, is there any way to plug the PC's DVI cable back to the monitor and get a video signal without having to reboot the PC?

jAH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

*bump* surely someone knows what the story is with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

PC graphics cards don't like it when you try and hot-swap DVI connections. I don't think it's supported IIRC. There's probably info on the standard on the Wikipedia page...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The monitor doesn't have two inputs by any chance does it? I have my PC connected to my monitor's DVI port and my 360 connected to its VGA port. I switch between the two with a button on the side of the monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Stephen wrote: »
    The monitor doesn't have two inputs by any chance does it? I have my PC connected to my monitor's DVI port and my 360 connected to its VGA port. I switch between the two with a button on the side of the monitor.
    This is what I ended up doing with my PS3 and Dell 20".
    Trying to hot-swap the DVI connection caused similar problems for me... I had to unplug/replug the power to the monitor to get the fking thing to pick up the PC's DVI connection again... maybe it has something to do with HDCP. I wouldn't be surprised if this lack of hot-swapability was an intentional measure.

So yeah, there's my alternate solution, power-cycle the monitor and see if that's any more convenient than rebooting the PC.
    Not sure what else you can do really... I had briefly looked into some kind of DVI switching box (but I'm not even sure that'd solve the problem), but after seeing some prices I was immediately put off... I mean you could almost buy yourself a second flatpanel monitor for the prices they're asking.

Still, if you haven't got a spare VGA port, it'd be a nice excuse to upgrade to a more fancy monitor, mmm, 24 inch, HDMI connections ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Cheers DonkeyStyle, I'll try the power cycling of the monitor this evening. It would be much better than the current reboot of the PC that is required..

• Advertisement
Advertisement