Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Built my dog a kennel and he doesn't want to know!

Options
  • 28-05-2008 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I have a 16 month old male lab. I recently built him a kennel but he won't go into it.

I've put his blanket in and he just pulls it out. I have thrown in treats to bribe him but he grabs them and runs. He seems reluctant to enter the space, eventhough it is plenty big.

How do I get him to use it?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Were there any glues or sealants used in its construction? The dog may find the fumes unpleasant. This may be also caused from the new wood.

I am sure when its cold he will go in even though I am not a fan of stand alone dog kennels as I think this country is too cold and wet for them.

I keep mine inside my car garage.

I find nice dry straw is much better bedding - I gave up on blankets etc a long time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

same thing happened to my dogs.
    wait until the rainy day comes hell definely go in for shelter as they dont like rain;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Why can't you just let him stay indoors? If he's an only dog he's probably lonely. If he's to live outdoors you should get him a companion. and make sure he gets plenty of exersize, labs need at least an hour a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

he'l be grand. we had a lab that lived on the roof of his dog house for ages. he'l come around though. dogs are strange creatures and they do what they want. remember we think we own them, ask a dog and they would tell you different very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

First heavy rainfall and watch him run for it. My dog was the same till it rained, he even closes the door now when he is inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

My dog never liked her kennel...she dug a tunnel under the shed and stuck with that! Shes in the house 90% of the time but when outside under the shed she goes...perfectly good kennel sittin there idol!No trick worked...even put a hot water bottle in at one stage..ah ye gotta love 'em!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

milmo wrote: »
    I have a 16 month old male lab. I recently built him a kennel but he won't go into it.

I've put his blanket in and he just pulls it out. I have thrown in treats to bribe him but he grabs them and runs. He seems reluctant to enter the space, eventhough it is plenty big.

How do I get him to use it?

Thanks

My dog used to be the same, she used to drag her bed and blanket out every day and leave it in the rain and muck. She was then reluctant to go back in to the kennel because it wasn't comfortable!

I ended up nailing the bed down in the kennel and that really improved matters. I think she was pulling the bed out as a game, so once that aspect was removed she stayed in the kennel a lot more. I'm sure he'll get used to it in time, dogs can be stubborn and resistant to change!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kkmick

First heavy rainfall and watch him run for it. My dog was the same till it rained, he even closes the door now when he is inside.
    I wish that worked for my dog(8 month old lab)she just sits outside in the rain,
    she's not out that often but she just doesn't seem to know to get in out of the rain

Advertisement