Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chaning levels on the day

Options
  • 28-05-2008 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

can i drop to pass maths on the day?

or do i need to say it on the first time i see the supernentendo guy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MaltEagle

There's no problems dropping on the day itself, they'll have a list of exam numbers and a level printed beside it. The Superindendent will have some spare Ordinary/Foundation papers.

Have you spoke to your Maths teacher about it though? I know Honours Maths is very diffucult, and alot of people think, ah sure I'll drop to pass on the day, and I'll get an A1. Sometimes that is not the case, because the questions have not been practised and are unfamiliar with the layout of the paper. My maths teacher told me that one person recently dropped down from Honours and got a C1.

If you're 100% sure about it though, make sure, you have a look at some of the Ord. Level papers on www.examinations.ie and practise some of the questions. Just think long and hard about it.

Best of Luck.

Yeah you can.

You can drop to pass in any subject, they always have aload of extra papers with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭gaz d

Yeah,you can im dropping physics and spanish on the day!:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes you can, but not if you have taken a different paper first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

salman85 I'm doing honours maths, but I gave some grinds there to my girlfriend doing pass. You have to realize there are some topics on the pass course that honours do not cover. So just make sure you will be able to answer enough questions. Would be a balls to realize you couldnt do the exam!!

If your not going to get an A in pass, I would see no reason to drop, unless your failing honours (and if you are you should have dropped long time ago!!). Honours maths is probably the best leaving cert subject to have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭salman85

yeah i have familiarised my self with paper 1, im going to do 1+2+3 +7+8 and hopefully if question 6 is like a physics type i will have no problem or else i will take a stab at complex numbers

in p1 higher level algebra and diff are my strong points

i havent done any paper 2 yet from OL going to try some today i'll write what i think of it on the first glance

i have no clue what question 1 is

question 2,3,4,5 are grand definately doing those

i'll go over probablility and do question 6

im good at vectors any way so im grand with it

hoping for a B ATLEAST if not an A, i did paper 1 and i got like a 82% which is a B1, it was the first paper i did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭xxGalwayGirlxx

Brilliant so you can change, Because I told the principal I wanted to change to pass home ec, but when I got the letter home with our subject choices and levels it had me down for honours!

My teacher said tho that they mighten have enough pass papers to give out....would that mean Id have to do honours! Would you be able to complain or would it just be my fault!??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It doesn't matter what level the department have you down for, you can still change on the day. They might not have enough papers if say 20 people panic and want to drop, but that's not very likely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If an unusually high number change level for a particular subject, you might have to wait while someone photocopies a paper for you. If it is a subject that has some other assessment component which has already been marked at the higher level, this will cause the SEC a headache, but it is their headache, not yours.

Advertisement