Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Want someone to cut down tree for cheap?

Options
  • 28-05-2008 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

I have a big tree in my garden I want cut down, does anyone know somebody to do it? How much & would they take it away?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 itsmedee

Your local tree surgeon will do it. cost depends on height/size, access to tree and how difficult the job is.

wot area r u in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Glacier

Dundrum, it would usually cost hundreds thought, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 itsmedee

Glacier wrote: »
    Dundrum, it would usually cost hundreds thought, right?

It could yeah.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i am in the same situation, i have two trees that need to come down.

tree surgeons our out of my price range, so i have been asking around and no-one seems to do it.

i am going to have a go at myself this weekend, am pretty scared but they have to go, just hoping i dont take my neighours walls down or kill myself :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a colleague in templeogue recently had two relatively large (about 50 foot, i think) trees felled for €900 - seemed to be the cheapest he was quoted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

irishbird wrote: »
    i am in the same situation, i have two trees that need to come down.

tree surgeons our out of my price range, so i have been asking around and no-one seems to do it.

i am going to have a go at myself this weekend, am pretty scared but they have to go, just hoping i dont take my neighours walls down or kill myself :o

You must have a death wish. Its a good job none of your friends need a lobotomy, or you might have a go at that as well:eek::eek:

No doubt you have never seen a large tree cut down, or you would realise how dangerous an occupation it is. In the country, wide areas no problems.
    In the city, restricted access, opportunity for major catastrophy. Sure you might even kil yourself. A 60 foot tree will drop in about 2-3 seconds. Can you run that fast if it goes the wrong way. Dont be under any illusion you can predict the fall direction of the tree, cause you cant.

Can you set up a web cam maybe, so we can witness the event.:p:p

And remember, your house insurance wont cover you for damage relating to this. Thats why professionals get paid a professional rate for the job, for THEIR expertise.
    I have cut down 100,s of trees, so I know what I,m talking about, and I dont do it for a living.

Sure next time you need a doctor , and he,s too dear, get Dr Nick from the simpsons, at a CUT price rate.

This has to be the best thread ever:):)..I will have to spread the word around.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I agree with kadman. You'd have to be an idiot to take on that job for cheap. What happens if the tree lands on something causing a lot of damage or worse still - injures or kills someone. A person with proper insurance would have to charge a proper price to cover the insurance/risk costs.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

simple, i havent got a €1,000.00 full stop. the trees need to come down or i wont have a house for much longer.

i actually have a fair idea of how to cut down a tree, at the moment i am looking for a ladder long enough,

obvisiouly, i am not going to just saw the tree in half, i will be starting at the top and working my way down.

there is no risk to any property so there will be no need for insurers to be involved.

it is not a situation i am happy with but unfortunately, it is the situation i find myself in not from choice.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

What type of tree is it, how high is it , and how near the house or boundary is.

I take it you got a quote from a tree surgeon. A quote from a sawmill would be better, because if its a useable tree, price will reflect this. You could be cutting down a yew, or may be a walnut that is good useable timber for furiture ect.

I personally dont recommend that you tackle it , as you have no experience of the task in hand. If I was in the same situation, I would hire a cherry picker as opposed to a ladder, as this would isolate me from the tree. And I would selectively prune off as much top section as I could to reduce the weight of the upper limbs before I cut them. That would be my approach, as I have cut down dozens of trees. But as I said before I would NOT suggest that an inexperienced person like you should attempt it.

Please post the tree details, if you know them

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

irishbird wrote: »
    i actually have a fair idea of how to cut down a tree, at the moment i am looking for a ladder long enough,

If you had any idea about cutting trees you would not be talking about ladders and chainsaws.
    Many people have found out the hard way that trees can kill.
    IMO if you have any sense just save the 1000 and do it professionally.
    Treesurgeons usually use either climbing gear or cherry pickers depending on access, they never ever use a ladder.
    My neighbour a farmer was using a ladder to trim branches, a branch came down faster than he expected and he had to jump, he landed on a rock and shattered his heel, he is still recovering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I've cut down many trees over the years and it still scares me. Last year I was quoted €3500 to have 3 ash trees cut down, I couldn't justify the price so hired an 18meter cherry picker and worked from the top down. I hated every minute of the job and given the chance again I'd leave it to the experts. Don't use a ladder!!! branches are heavy, they twist and can end up anywhere. If there's no risk to property below consider using a Hand log saw with ropes, I used one and it's a far safer option than any ladder.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I agree with all here very dangerous job, wouldn't recommend you do it yourself..

It is expensive but get a quote from a few, there can be large differences.

Maybe you could get it pruned back to take the bulk of the weight off. This should cost alot less.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

So the upshot is felling trees = leave it to the professionals.

I'm going to lock this lest anyone make any more "Don't do it yourself, but if you're going to then use..." suggestions . Let's leave it at "Don't do it yourself".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement