Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Othello help!!!

Options
  • 28-05-2008 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hey I'm just trying to narrow Othello down here...do you think I'd be safe in just covering:

-Character of Othello and his downfall
    -Character of Iago and his motives
    -Role of women
    -Imagery and symbolism
    -tragedy

or any predictions???

thanks!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Hey I'm just trying to narrow Othello down here...do you think I'd be safe in just covering:

-Character of Othello and his downfall
    -Character of Iago and his motives
    -Role of women
    -Imagery and symbolism
    -tragedy

or any predictions???

thanks!:)

I've narrowed it down further. I'm learning, Othello n Iago as characters and Jealousy/ Evilness as a theme!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭gaz d

I like it
    Yoink i think i might do that to!

SRFC90 wrote: »
    I've narrowed it down further. I'm learning, Othello n Iago as characters and Jealousy/ Evilness as a theme!

Same as that, There's no need learning anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mike-gunners

How Can you guys be so sure that only that is gonna come up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

That answers everything really, . . . if a trick indept question does come up, the other option will have to be an easy broad question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I'm just gonna do Othello, Iago, Jealousy/Revenge, maybe Love. They can't throw anything too weird, and if they do... ah well. We did "Othello as an Elizabethan Tragic Hero" earlier in the year and it was pretty easy and nice to answer, but I doubt anything that specific would come up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 DancingRainDrop

Learn a key scene :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Same as that, There's no need learning anything else.
    Do you think im not learning enough by just learning about the characters of Iago and Othello? of course within that I know jealousy etc but still is concentrating on a character question enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Irony
    I've a feeling that it may come up:)
    But iago's so big he has to come up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭stripypumkin

ya i agree definetly know Iago! on getting it right on 2fm he mentioned love and the differnent kinds of love eg desdemona s love and othello's love!

• Advertisement

http://www.rsc.org.uk/othello/teachers/themes.html
    an amazing site for othello quotes:)
    something i'm really lacking in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Watch a load of films of Othello, see how they treat it. Read it and enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lobsterstag

i'v gone for
    -jealousy
    -iago
    -irony
    -Emillia(did a deadly essay earlier this year but what are the chances?!?)
    -plan to do act3sc3 as key scene, we spent about two weeks on it in class so it should be grand, im a bit worried though, havnt really done much for it until now...i really don't want to study othello as a character because you just end up talking about iago and going off topic(well i do anyway:confused:) Irony would be a lovely question!!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

www.sparknotes.com

buy the othello podcast for €4.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

No chance on desdamona being too good to be true coming up?

Decerto wrote: »

i doubt,but the role of woman in the play cud come up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

It was funny when we did that in class because a few boys in our class like to express their male chauvinism. And then Rich was just epic lulz.:pac:

What I'm doing

Themes: Romance/Love Jealousy/Revenge, Role of Women.
    Character: Iago
    (

Might be a b***** of a questions eg "...a combination of Iago's skill, good luck an Othello's weaknesses lead to the tragic downfall of Othello"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Decerto wrote: »
    In terms of a character question its either gonna be Iago or Othello, thats nearly guranteed like, which is good because a character question is also basically guranteed so i'm of the opinion that for othello all I need to study is character questions on iago and othello, only slightly risky thing im doing in the english exam.

Might be a b***** of a questions eg "...a combination of Iago's skill, good luck an Othello's weaknesses lead to the tragic downfall of Othello"

I'd absolutely love that question, basically both character questions summed into one. You wouldn't need to go into as much detail too, that would be a dream if that came up in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Niamhd164

Im nearly certain that the question " Othello and its appeal to the 21c audience" is coming up... So in that im studying the theme of love ( othello and Desdemona) rasism and how it still affects us today, friendship (were talking Iago and Othello) and Jealously and infidelity! Oh and Murder... I think it would be a brill. question to get.. Shakespeare, he is a legend!:D:D

Advertisement