Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell XPS 710 & New RAM

Options
  • 28-05-2008 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭

Hi, just looking for some quick advice please.

I have a dell xps 710 (got off the ebay outlet store a little while ago I'm sure people remember them?)

Anyway its a 2.66 quad core, 8800gtx, 2 gig ram, on vista also.

Just feel i could do with some more ram or new ram altogether it thats better? Only problem is I have no idea what kind I need or what would be best. Any Advice??

Thanks Adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Use this tool to help you find out :

http://www.memoryc.ie/memory_configurator/index.html

And the website has great prices on ram too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Thanks for that.

It gives me this list http://www.memoryc.ie/DELL/XPS/XPS-710.html but there are like two different types. That matter? And is the ram I currently have worth keeping or just getting all brand new ones?

Thanks Adam

That all depends on yoru configuration. If your board had 4 ram slots, but only 2 are being used up, but another 2 x 1gb modules to upgrade to 4gb. If and knowing dell... You have 4 ram slots and 4 x 512mb modules your better off to buy a 2 x 2gb kit. And the ram you have now you can sell over on www.adverts.ie

Yea just checked there have 4 slots, 2 * 1gb, so best off to just order two of these??

Thanks Anti.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

they'll work fine in it.

• Advertisement

Thanks ill order them so.

Adam

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Yea just checked there have 4 slots, 2 * 1gb, so best off to just order two of these??

Thanks Anti.

Yup, they will do the job nicely... and a damn good price too 36€ for 2gb ram :)

Yea good price cant complain thanks for the link Anti.
    36 was ex vat, came to like 48 ish with delivery and stuff but still happy. Should do the job. Thanks for the replies, helpful as always.

Adam

Got them at 10am this morning. Now thats fast delivery! Only shows up 3069 RAM in 32 bit vista but im not worried. Highly recommend memoryc.

Adam

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Got them at 10am this morning. Now thats fast delivery! Only shows up 3069 RAM in 32 bit vista but im not worried. Highly recommend memoryc.

Adam
    Thats normal, 32bit os cant address all the ram, although SP1 for vista 32 will show as "4gig" being installed, this 4 gig cant be used, so it will go back to 3069meg

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement