Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking During the Leaving cert Exams

Options
  • 28-05-2008 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi,
    Just curious to know if you are allowed to leave the exam with one of the attendants to go out for a smoke? I know when ya need to go to the bathroom you sign out and bring one of the attendants, but does the same princple apply for nipping out for a quick cheeky sneaky smoke? Anybody any info?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

i cant see how you cant just sit down for 3 hours and do an exam without worrying about having a smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭xxGalwayGirlxx

I know in my school last year one of the attendants smoked so they didnt mind bringing ya out for a fag, its just they get sick of it if you constantly go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Smoking is not permitted (by law) in any Irish school, so unless your attendant is going to bring you outside the building (and in some cases outside the grounds) I doubt it will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

Well, I was an attendant last year, and I ended up bringing a couple people outside to smoke once or twice. I guess it just depends on how nice yours are! But to be honest, I doubt it'd be a good idea if there's a long walk at all from your exam hall to get outside. If I were you I'd just forget about it and focus on the exam, they're not that long, and I'm not sure if it's technically allowed. In fact it probably isn't..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Are you actually that bad that you couldn't sit down to sit the most important exams of your life so far without having to need to go for a fag?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MaltEagle

If you can't sit down and not smoke for 3 hours, I'd hate to see you try get on an 8 or 9 hour flight to the United States...if you don't think you'll last the 3 hours, bring in lots of chewing gum or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

MaltEagle wrote: »
    If you can't sit down and not smoke for 3 hours, I'd hate to see you try get on an 8 or 9 hour flight to the United States...if you don't think you'll last the 3 hours, bring in lots of chewing gum or something!
    Well theres no smoke detectors in out bathrooms so i'd don't see why you wouldnt just smoke in there, the people who stay outside the door are mostly girls and either way their not allowed to go into the bathroom after you which kinda defeats their purpose if you have a mobile in your pocket but whatever.
    MaltEagle wrote: »

Well I think its more to do that your so nervous during the exams, while you wouldn't be when on a plane unless your a nervous flyer :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

that's just..........silly:)
    As people have said it's only 3 hours, and if u've done ur work you wouldn't have time to go out for a fag anywayss

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

Don't waste your precious time. Have one right before it starts, stick a few nicorette patches on your arm and bring in some nicorette gum.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

I doubt you could be stopped from "smoking" a nicorette inhaler during the exam either, but you will look like a right tit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭BarryDoodles

I dare anyone to tell a smoker he/she cannot have a cigarette! Advice though would be to eliminate hassel and just bring in nicotine gum....nicorette 2mg and a bottle of water:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

If someone who was sitting beside me came in reeking of smoke, it'd annoy me.. can't stand the smell.

Then again, are you allowed complain if someone smells? It's disturbing your concentration like...

If someone who was sitting beside me came in reeking of smoke, it'd annoy me.. can't stand the smell.

Then again, are you allowed complain if someone smells? It's disturbing your concentration like...
    Well im sure you can complain but as to what could be done about it thats a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 irish0808

Thanks for all the help. In response to Dr.Millah, and a few others, I can usually go more than 3 hours, but with the nerves of the exams it sets me off! In my mocks I was dying for one during only one or two exams, but the option of nipping out would have been nice!
    How is the studying going for everyone? All set?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

The simple answer to your question is, Give up the fags :) (Probabaly not a good idea before the exam however according to medical research)

The only reason any young person smokes is to impress their friends. Granted if they become addicted, they then smoke for pleasure and to feed the addiction.

Very sad either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

K4t wrote: »

The only reason any young person smokes is to impress their friends..

Bullshít tbh.

Well there's that and the fact that their brainwashed into thinking its cool and that it actually helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I've never really smoked, and have no idea of what the addiction is like, and I doubt anyone denouncing smokers here does either.

And come on. Young people smoke because they've been brainwashed into thinking smoking is cool? What a load of crap. If you hold that view you've very clearly been brainwashed yourself (which is unsurprising, given the level of anti-smoking propaganda that exists). I mean it's much more likely that they've just tried it because they're curious and liked it rather than some elaborate brainwashing theory. And peer pressure is exaggerated SO much.

I wouldn't encourage people to be taking smoke breaks during exams, but if they feel they need to, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

The only reason any young person smokes is to impress their friends. Granted if they become addicted, they then smoke for pleasure and to feed the addiction.

Ok I know its off topic but in fairness I would say most of the people younger than 15 who start smoking do it in fields and behind houses, and do it to be apart of the group. I personally think its pointless, but having never smoked more then 30 fags my life I am no position to make an educated comment about it.

Time is of the essence in the exams. Just dont go out to smoke. Or to use the jacks. Just bring in a bottle, its all good ;)

• Advertisement

Bullshít tbh.
    Trying not to :eek: *shakes head* at your username, for what other reason do youngsters start smoking? honestly!!!

I smoked myself for a day or two! and I know plenty of people who smoke and it's just all about trying to impress when they start. Eventually they become addicted and they're great etc. blah blah blah

It's the same story with underage drinking, the exact same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

LOL at 17/18-year-olds with barely enough money for a pack of fags every few days believing they're as addicted as a 20-a-day person who's been smoking 10+ years.

It's all in the head, just do the bloody exam and have a smoke afterwards...

By the way, what other reason could there be for taking up smoking besides wanting to look cool/fit in with the crowd? Curiosity I suppose. But if it's genuinely only curiosity, then the likelihood is you'll hate it and that will be your curiosity sorted so why continue?
    I ask that as someone who started smoking 16 years ago and while I've cut down, I still smoke when I drink. I know I definitely only took it up to look cool.

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    I've never really smoked, and have no idea of what the addiction is like, and I doubt anyone denouncing smokers here does either.

And come on. Young people smoke because they've been brainwashed into thinking smoking is cool? What a load of crap. If you hold that view you've very clearly been brainwashed yourself (which is unsurprising, given the level of anti-smoking propaganda that exists). I mean it's much more likely that they've just tried it because they're curious and liked it rather than some elaborate brainwashing theory. And peer pressure is exaggerated SO much.
    How is peer pressure a brainwashing theory :confused:
    Peer pressure is very real my friend.

Secondly, you do know that smoking increases the risk of getting lung and throat cancer, it makes your breath and clothes stink, not to mention the amount of money wasted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

And it's a complete inconvenience to your friends who don't smoke. 2 guys in the band I'm in smoke and they have a smoke after 2-3 songs. It's such a pain in the ass, can't they just quit and spend the precious 2 minutes they wasted on practising for a better cause?!(I've brought it up with them, it's like talking to a wall!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Dudess wrote: »
    But if it's genuinely only curiosity, then the likelihood is you'll hate it and that will be your curiosity sorted so why continue?
    Which is what happens in the majority of cases.

Disturbingly enough, the majority of teen smokers are girls and many of them do it because it stops them from putting on weight...
    How is peer pressure a brainwashing theory :confused:
    Peer pressure is very real my friend.
    Oh it is real, just not the huge thing it's made out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Well I smoked during my Leaving and I really didn't find it difficult at all to sit through a 2/3 hour exam wothout a break. It would have been totally stupid anyways (at least for me) because i'd have to leave the school grounds to do it.

Advertisement