Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bluetooth GPS receiver for a Nokia e51

Options
  • 28-05-2008 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Hi I want a GPS bluetooth receiver for my smartphone, I will be mainly using it for walking not travelling in the car so i need something that will update it's location even when I have moved a small distance (a few steps). Which chipset should i look for and can you suggest any cheap and small gps device that will do the job? Please include websites links. Thanks:D

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Pyro Boy wrote: »
    Hi I want a GPS bluetooth receiver for my smartphone, I will be mainly using it for walking not travelling in the car so i need something that will update it's location even when I have moved a small distance (a few steps). Which chipset should i look for and can you suggest any cheap and small gps device that will do the job? Please include websites links. Thanks:D

Hi

I got a few weeks ago 1 from DX comes by register post and with the exchange rate now it comes for just under €40, I use mine with a SE K800i will say it should also works with your's

• Registered Users Posts: 25,382 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I use the Globalsat BT-368i which is a very compact Bluetooth GPS receiver, it uses Sirf Star III chips and does a hot start in one second. It works a treat with my Nokia E51`smartphone (Symbian S30 3rd edition). I got it via a friend coming back from the US but this crowd in the UK sell it as well.

http://www.easydevices.co.uk/pp/GPS_Receivers/Bluetooth_GPS/GLOBALSAT_BLUETOOTH_BT_368.html

The Holux M-1000B the previous contributor mentions (actually he doesn't mention the model but that's what it is) has the advantage of having a user replacable batery and a claimed battery life of 23 hours which is impressive.

You can check out all of the offerings in this category on Expansys here......

http://www.expansys.ie/c.aspx?t=cat&f=140

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

and the GLOBALSAT BLUETOOTH BT 368 is good for walking too ? it keeps up with you even though it's a small distance you are walking. It's just i've heard other peoples GPS not doing so well for walking but ok for driving. Any problem with it? and how do you charge it is it from USB or adapter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,382 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The US model comes with a brilliant set of chargers - out of the box you have a standard USB cable, a mains charger (100-240V) with the US flat pins and a 'Euro' adapter (actually a two pin plug suitable for a shaver socket) and (drum roll) a 12V cigarette lighter plug with a USB socket. The mains charger also has a USB socket, both chargers output 5V DC which means that I can now charge any of my Li-Ion devices (iPod, Nuvi etc.) from the mains, the laptop or the car.

However it's worth noting that the Holux GPS mentioned above takes the Nokia BL-5C battery whereas when the Globalsat battery wears out the device goes into the bin.

On the issue of walking, it really depends where you're carrying the GPS receiver. The Globalsat BT368i has a very fast hot start of about 1 second but if you put it in a pocket where your body blocks the view to the south and overhead then it may not be able to maintain a fix. Best place is obviously in a shoulder pocket preferably on your southern side.

Advertisement