Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A bit of assistance in trying to change cars

Options
  • 28-05-2008 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've been coming and going on this forum for around 3 months now. I recently posted a while back about the possibility of getting an Accord or an Avensis, but I've had a complete change of mind on that score.

My situation is this:

I have at the moment at 03 Diesel LX Ford Mondeo, with very low mileage and I'm desperately looking to move DOWN a size in car. I did a lot of research and I'm pretty much fully hooked on the new model Honda Civic. However, such is the market at the moment, it doesn't seem like any Honda garage is willing to give me a have decent trade in, even against a brand new Civic. It seems this infamous 1st July date is messing everything up for the second hand car trade.

I've spotted a couple of very nice second hand models both in the UK and Ireland which I would buy in a heart beat, but only at the right price. I foolishly thought I might have more pull than I appear to have what with my own car having a full service history, recently passed NCT, taxed for another 6 months, low mileage, great fuel economy, etc, etc but I think the bottom line is dealers are worried themselves that they wouldn't off load my car even though they'd be making a sale themselves - probably with potential to make a tidy profit in months passed.

What I guess I'm looking for is people's honest advice - should I try and sell the car privately and get the best deal myself and then way up my options or should I continue to use my car as leverage for a decent trade in?

It's becoming a bit of a headache, but it's not the end of the world obviously. I have a good reliable car at the moment, but it's too big - I want that Civic :mad:

Thanks in advance,

Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Stinkah

Bump!
    :(

No response on this folks. Anyone any suggestions for me? Good dealshipers (Honda) north and south, best way to get the car I'm looking for?

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I'd try and see if you can sell your own car for cash in a private sale, having cash in hand and no trade in will give you alot more bargaining power in the garages IMHO anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What ever they are offering on a trade, you are in fact getting at least 2000 less as if you went in for straight deal, you would get 2000 of retail price. So basically if you could sell privately for the same figure you were being offered on a trade, you would be 2000 euro up.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If you really want to change, you might have to accept less than you think you should get. As people have said here, it's not how much you get for trading in, it's the 'cost to change' that matters.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Stinkah

esel wrote: »
    If you really want to change, you might have to accept less than you think you should get. As people have said here, it's not how much you get for trading in, it's the 'cost to change' that matters.

Good point mate, it's something I've been thinking quite a bit about alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Stinkah wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've been coming and going on this forum for around 3 months now. I recently posted a while back about the possibility of getting an Accord or an Avensis, but I've had a complete change of mind on that score.

My situation is this:

I have at the moment at 03 Diesel LX Ford Mondeo, with very low mileage and I'm desperately looking to move DOWN a size in car. I did a lot of research and I'm pretty much fully hooked on the new model Honda Civic. However, such is the market at the moment, it doesn't seem like any Honda garage is willing to give me a have decent trade in, even against a brand new Civic. It seems this infamous 1st July date is messing everything up for the second hand car trade.

I've spotted a couple of very nice second hand models both in the UK and Ireland which I would buy in a heart beat, but only at the right price. I foolishly thought I might have more pull than I appear to have what with my own car having a full service history, recently passed NCT, taxed for another 6 months, low mileage, great fuel economy, etc, etc but I think the bottom line is dealers are worried themselves that they wouldn't off load my car even though they'd be making a sale themselves - probably with potential to make a tidy profit in months passed.

What I guess I'm looking for is people's honest advice - should I try and sell the car privately and get the best deal myself and then way up my options or should I continue to use my car as leverage for a decent trade in?

It's becoming a bit of a headache, but it's not the end of the world obviously. I have a good reliable car at the moment, but it's too big - I want that Civic :mad:

Thanks in advance,

Mick

sell it yourself and get that civic.... just out of intrest the hybrid or the shuttle design. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Have you tried a few different Honda garages, and are they all offering near the same, if anything for your Mondeo. If you get a similar trade in value from a few garages, thats about as good as you will get. It will be less than you should get selling privately, but then there is the hassel of selling privately.

Have you looked at other makes in the same class as the Honda, as some other brands may well be happy to take the Mondeo as a trade in.

Just my opinion on the current Civic, I don't think it will age well looks wise, and I've read complaints from owners in mag's about the dashboard reflecting badly in the windscreen, especially at night.

Advertisement