Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to Do in Donegal this Weekend?

Options
  • 28-05-2008 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I was thinking of heading up to Donegal with my missus this weekend. I haven't been there in years (my father is from there) and my missus has never been. Would booking into a B+B in Letterkenny be the best place to base ourselves? We won't be driving so we would like to avail of bus tours etc.

What can you recommend? Thanks for all help/advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Unfortunately there are few bus tours available in Donegal. Bus Eireann run a tour to Glenveagh National Park during the summer but it may not have started yet.

Letterkenny is very central and has a lot of restaurants and nitelife but you may find yourself taking ordinary buses with poor connections to see any of the scenery

Tourist Info office no is 074 9121160

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Thanks man, I'll give them a ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Ardara Multicultural Festival... read all about it: www.ardarameltingpot.com =] =]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

If you're into blues and rock music the annual Rory Gallagher Blues festival is on in Ballyshannon starting Thursday right through till Sunday night, most of the gigs are free and I can assure you it's a great weekend. You may be stuck getting accomodation at this late stage though.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Depends on what your interests are, I suppose.

http://www.donegaldirect.ie/ might be worth looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

The GAA All-Ireland Gaeltacht football finals will be held in Glencolmcille from Friday until Monday evening. Big crowds are expected from Cork, Kerry, Galway and Donegal to mention a few.

The beer will be good as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,888 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If you are in Letterkenny, they have a cinema, swimming pool, bowling alley, paintball course (about 2 miles from town) There used to be go karting somewhere too but Im not sure if thats still available.

Loads of other things that people will fill you in on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Thanks guys. We're more interested in getting out and about into the countryside. I'll ring the tourism office tomorrow and see what tours etc are available this weekend.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

If it's countryside you want, then maybe Glencolmcille is ideal then, as mentioned by Smashey. Lots of lovely countryside along that neck of the woods and the likes of Silver Strand, Slieve League, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

byte wrote: »
    If it's countryside you want, then maybe Glencolmcille is ideal then, as mentioned by Smashey. Lots of lovely countryside along that neck of the woods and the likes of Silver Strand, Slieve League, etc.
    And a great beach just down the road in Malin Beg.;)

Just a pity about the 174 steps down to it. :eek:

• Advertisement

smashey wrote: »
    And a great beach just down the road in Malin Beg.;)

Just a pity about the 174 steps down to it. :eek:
    Sure its not a problem going down to the beach ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭donegalboy

Take a run out to Beltany Stone Circle in Raphoe...
    Its a 4,000 year old sort of mini version of Stonehenge..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭blue shimmering

donegalboy wrote: »
    Take a run out to Beltany Stone Circle in Raphoe...
    Its a 4,000 year old sort of mini version of Stonehenge..
    How do you get there, I would love to go and see it myself now when the weather is good, it would make a nice day out - going there and also to Glenveagh Nat Park? Have been to Raphoe loads of time but have never seen any sign posts for it!

Try this. Its located about a mile south of Raphoe along a little back road.Edit sorry that link wouldnt work but Ive attached a snapshot.

Go to google maps and insert Belatany stone circle into the find box and you will locate it.
    How do you get there, I would love to go and see it myself now when the weather is good, it would make a nice day out - going there and also to Glenveagh Nat Park? Have been to Raphoe loads of time but have never seen any sign posts for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

donegal rally on this weekend....

Advertisement