Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Corroded brake pipe

Options
  • 27-05-2008 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

My car failed the nct today due to corrosion on the brake pipe. I've seen brake pipe repair kits for sale and was wondering if it a straightforward job? I'm not afraid to tackle most jobs on a car and I'm wondering if I should try to repair it myself.

What do ye think?

Car is a 96 almera BTW, just a cheap daily hack.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

You might buy the pipe cheap enough, but the cutters and flaring tool can be pretty steep - assuming it's the metal section of the brake pipe.

If you can find a decent back-street garage, they'll make up a pipe using your old male/female connections - it shouldn't cost too much, and brake fluid should be factored in as you'll need the brake system bled.

If it's a rubber section, it should be even cheaper.

EDIT - If it's just surface rust on the pipe, clean it off with sandpaper or a metal brush and spray over it with some black paint or sealant. If it's leaking fluid, replace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Brakes on a car are one thing no one other than a qualified mechanic should touch. If you ended up in a bad crash and the car was taken away by the cops for investigation and a DIY botch job on the brake lines was discovered you would have some explaining to do. A good mechanic or garage would have all the correct bending and swaging tools for brake lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Brakes on a car are one thing no one other than a qualified mechanic should mess with. If you ended up in a bad crash and the car was taken away by the cops for investigation and a DIY botch job on the brake lines was discovered you would have some explaining to do. A good mechanic or garage would have all the correct bending and swaging tools for brake lines.

aw jeez go easy on the fear mongering man. if it gets you past the much-hated NCT there can't be much wrong with the DIY job

towel401 wrote: »
    aw jeez go easy on the fear mongering man. if it gets you past the much-hated NCT there can't be much wrong with the DIY job
    I wouldn't rely on the DOE or NCT for safety at all. My van failed DOE for no rear door check straps and a headlamp miss allignment. I brought the van back a week later, the test center forgot the van was back for the recheck and put it through a full test again. I was failed on worn ball joints, torn boot and a bent wishbone. I disputed this that it should have been spotted the first time. I was given a "pass" and was "recommended" to to have these repaired and was not required to return the van the third time. How many other defected cars and vans go through these tests?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

This kit is what I am looking at for doing the repair job.

• Advertisement

That's pretty cheap - go for it if you feel confident, google "bleeding brakes" for after you've it replaced. If you do go down this route, use the connectors (unions) from your old pipe or ensure you have the correct one fitted before you go flaring the ends!

If you wait a few weeks you might fine that kit up in Lidl :D

I think you would need something more than this. http://www.idealcarparts.co.uk/acatalog/Brake_Tools.html

If I was doing it, I wouldn't touch the unions where they join the hub. I would cut out the corroded section and then splice in a new section. Using the unions in the kit to join in the new piece.
    A mechanic did this on a friends car when it failed on the same thing. It subsequently passed the test.

Would this be considered a good repair?

For the effort that's involved, you'd be as well to replace the whole section.

As I said though, if it's only surface corrosion, just clean it up and spray over it with paint or sealant. Use a screwdriver to pick away at the rust to see how bad it is.

Rang my mechanic and he quoted 120e to do it. I'm sending it in Tuesday.
    For that price, it's not worth me flapping about with it :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement