Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having trouble paritioning hard-drive for dual boot!

Options
  • 27-05-2008 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I want to dual boot vista and XP(with vista installed first) and i'm having trouble basically shrinking the disk.
    I've tried right clicking on 'My computer' from the start menu and then going to 'manage' and doing it that way. But when i try to shrink the main partition it says that there is no available disk space to be shrunk.
    (This method here)
    http://vistarewired.com/2007/02/16/how-to-resize-a-partition-in-windows-vista/

and the second method i've just tried is here

http://vistarewired.com/2007/04/07/how-to-work-with-partitions-in-windows-vista-xp-when-disk-management-doesnt-work/

but when i get to step four and i say i want to shrink the drive by 5gb and minimum 3gb, it says that the 'specified shrink size is too large'!?

Why is this? My drive is 250gb and and still over 90gb available.
    Also i'm definitely selecting the right drive etc....i know a good bit about what i'm trying to do but don't understand why this isn't working for me?

Cheers for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Did you defrag first? There mightn't be enough free space in one block.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

NotMe wrote: »
    Did you defrag first? There mightn't be enough free space in one block.

Defrag ey. Nah i havn't done that. You reckon that'll work?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭pdevo

you should just use partition magic or some other partitioning tool

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I'd use GParted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Agree with the above two posts. Get yourself a copy of a popular partition management software, there are lots of freeware options. Stick it on a floppy or even burn it on a cd-r and restart with the floppy/cd inserted, and run it during boot up.

Word to the wise - backup first! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement