Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda badges

Options
  • 27-05-2008 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

While driving around I notice many skodas with the badge removed.
    Does anyone know why this is?
    Has it fallen off/ worn away?
    Has the owner deliberately removed it?
    Does people like to pilfer them? (hardly)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I don't know but they are great cars. Having had a Skoda vRS before (one of four Skodas), I am now driving a Seat Leon FR 200 bhp — just like the vRS but with a slightly nicer body (which when you get down to it is the reason why many of us make our choices).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

I always remember when i first started panel beating as a apprentice, one day i parked my car down the back of the work shop.

One of the lads thought it was hillarious to take all the surplus badges out of the stores and decorate my car.

It was a 1.8 turbo diesel, 2.0D, Nissan, Avensis, Micra, VW, Audi, Fiat, Ford, Camry, Ls400...

... I could go on, there was badges on the roof, windows, headlights and wheels.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

tuxy wrote: »
    While driving around I notice many skodas with the badge removed.
    Does anyone know why this is?
    Has it fallen off/ worn away?
    Has the owner deliberately removed it?
    Does people like to pilfer them? (hardly)

Actually, now you mention it, I've seen a few about with the badges missing. I thought they were pilfered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Maybe it's all in my head but I see more Skoda badges missing then any other make.
    Why would thieves have a preference for Skoda badges?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Perhaps Skoda owners are just less quick to replace them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do they come off easier?

The Alfa badges that swiveled over the bootlid were always being taken off when I was in school...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Maybe the owners act in a deliberate manner and remove the badges themselves so people will think they bought the more favourable VW alternative.

My friend has a theory that people buy the skoda because they cannot afford the vw. Is that true? I dont know because I have driven neither.

mondeo wrote: »
    My friend has a theory that people buy the skoda because they cannot afford the vw. Is that true? I dont know because I have driven neither.
    The Skoda is the VW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Anan1 wrote: »
    Perhaps Skoda owners are just less quick to replace them?

You could be right. My dad owns a Skoda(decent car) and he is very stingy. :)

The Skoda is the VW.

We all know that

• Advertisement

The Skoda is the VW.
    We all know that
    :confused:

:confused:

The skoda represents value for money, underneath it's a fine
    car with all the audi/vw bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

aren't skodas just crappier VWs?

colm_mcm wrote: »

In basic terms it's a vw on the cheap but still a vw all the same

except it's made in the Czech republic instead of Mexico!

The skoda represents value for money, underneath it's a fine
    car with all the audi/vw bits.
    VolksWagen means 'Peoples Car'. The Skoda is the VW. Are you with me now?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Surely VW's are crappier Skodas if the reliability surveys are anything to go by?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Only the Jetta and Beetle are made in Mexico AFAIK.

just fishing TBH, everyone loves the Skoda vs. VW argument!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Only the Jetta and Beetle are made in Mexico AFAIK.
    True. Tho the Passat is now assembled in Ukraine as well as Russia. Also out of the Russian factory are Skoda Octavias, Fabias and VW Jettas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Whos cares where there made? still come off state of the art production lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Don't knock Skodas before you try them.

What does a VW have that a Skoda doesn't? Nothing bar a "better badge" and much higher prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Surprise, surprise a Toyota car salesman slagging off a rival car manufacturer.
    BTW any luck finding gullible eejits to flog those paddy special petrol 1.6 Avensis to? Jeez you must cringe every time you hear that add on the radio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Ooh, Sooooo much anti VAG sentiment. :(

What? Skodas are excellent cars for the money. Easily the best of any of the budget brands. And better than many of the not so budget brands too. They do everything a VW does but cost a whole pile less, and they seem to be more reliable too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

E92 wrote: »
    What? Skodas are excellent cars for the money. Easily the best of any of the budget brands. And better than many of the not so budget brands too. They do everything a VW does but cost a whole pile less, and they seem to be more reliable too.

They are indeed, i own a Skoda too.

However the only thing i would say is that the perception of a skoda customer vs a vw customer is probably different.

A VW customer would think that nothing should go wrong, a skoda customer would be if the opinion that he got a bargain and hence wouldnt be as annoyed when something plays up once its covered under warranty

yellow012 wrote: »
    Surprise, surprise a Toyota car salesman slagging off a rival car manufacturer.
    BTW any luck finding gullible eejits to flog those paddy special petrol 1.6 Avensis to? Jeez you must cringe every time you hear that add on the radio?
    +1

They must be really desperate, that ad has been going on for nearly 3 months at this stage. Why would anyone want an Irish special(only RHD country in the world that can have the 1.6) anyway?
    And the ironic thing is that their diesel is the most efficient out there bar the Mondeo ECOnetic and Laguna 1.5 dCi.

Funny how there's no ads about the Corolla 1.4 though, which is also going up in VRT and road tax from July. But that car still has supply issues, what a "co-incidence"!

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

If you took the badges of both the vw and skoda and test drove them, you could easily tell which was which and i'd have the vw every time.
    I was doing an advanced motorist course a few years back and was in a fabia, the guy that was conducting the course was the owner of it and he never shut up about how the skoda and vw were the exact same*,
    I wanted to punch him in the eye and rent him a golf for a week.

*Always skoda drivers advocating that notion

Just for clarity, I drive neither make of car, but have in the past.

They are identical cars underneath, a few bits of nicer plastic here and there, a different badge and a higher price is not going to deceive me!

And I'm not a Skoda driver, but when VAG start imprting the cars themselves, then they will be a very hard car to beat for the money.

You only have to look at Mazda and BMW to see how much of a difference it makes to have the manufacturers importing the cars themselves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Today in Finglas, I saw a Skoda hatchback with VW alloys. The badge was removed as well.

I'll look out for more of these imposters!!

Advertisement