Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick Q (important)

Options
  • 27-05-2008 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Do Traffic Control Cameras (You know the Ones on Massive Poles) also work as a means of catching people for traffic offenses, or purely as a means of regulating traffic?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Generally regulating traffic but I guess if you commit something serious then it could be used in court if needs be.
    What did you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭carlostevez90

it was lashing today.. and i was quite close to the libne and the light went amber.. biit afraid that if i'da stopped ida went into middle of the junction

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Damien360

All are speeding cameras except for one I believe. The red light camera near the Kilmainhim Hospital in Dublin (spelling poor). It is N4 approach, last roundabout before Heuston Station going in to town.

but wat about the situation above. with the amber light

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Damien360 wrote: »
    All are speeding cameras except for one I believe. The red light camera near the Kilmainhim Hospital in Dublin (spelling poor). It is N4 approach, last roundabout before Heuston Station going in to town.

Dublin City Council's traffic control cameras are not used for speeding... I've a feeling you're not quite getting what the OP means here.

But yes, there is a red-light camera at the wonkabout but thats a different issue.

• Advertisement

ok, bvasicallty what i wanna know is.. would the camera do anything about going through on amber?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

MYOB wrote: »
    But yes, there is a red-light camera at the wonkabout but thats a different issue.
    Cool name - where did that come from?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

kbannon wrote: »
    Cool name - where did that come from?

I think I heard it on AA Roadwatch first, most people who've driven in Dublin know what you mean when you use it though!

OP - I don't believe DCC's traffic cameras are used to report violations ever so you should be be safe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

ok, bvasicallty what i wanna know is.. would the camera do anything about going through on amber?

I think you're screwed. The Guards monitor these cameras 24/7 for amber light busters - expect a court appearance.*

*may not be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

It's not illegal to go through an amber light if it's unsafe to stop. I doubt the camera has the ability to detect that kind of situation.

• Advertisement

you are messing right?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

you are messing right?

Got ya.:D

Yea, relax you've nothing to worry about.;)

so those cameras dont do that? like.. please dont mess

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Seriously man, calm down!
    Amber light: stop unless it is safe to do so - You thought it was unsafe to stop, so didn't. You're fine.
    I wonder how long you've been driving for, as you apparently haven't noticed the token 'extra car after the light goes red' rule that a lot of people seem to have adopted. These people rarely get caught, you're not going to be in any trouble for (justifiably) going thru an amber light.

but its at a junsction with a traffic control cam on it

so those cameras dont do that? like.. please dont mess

Chill - the cameras are used by the corporation traffic office (or whatever it is) for managing traffic jams, not the Guards.

If you had shot someone or caused a fatality then the Guards might go and ask for the footage.

You really have nothing to fear - you didn't even do anything wrong.

RELAX! just had a quick scan of your other posts there. You've said you have your license a while, and you passed your test (i presume this is full license) Your questions seem like you're a bit nervous on the road. Either get a good driving instructor or stop worrying about silly little things,

or read your rules of the road book - it will tell you that an amber light means stop unless it is unsafe to do so. Stopping was unsafe so you didn't, and even if the camera did monitor the juction, you havent done anything wrong!

Yep..sorry i have a problem :(
    Full
    Em.. Are those cameras operated by Dublin City Council

other posters say they are, so I'd go by their word. I honestly don't know.

The small cameras on gantries across the road or poles or bridges are DCC. They are used to feed information back to the control room, thats it.

• Advertisement

these cameras look like the ones in shops.. white.. like a rectangular box?
    that them??

ye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

to be honest, if there was a garda car behind you, and one at the junction waiting for his green while you 'broke' the amber, there'd still be nothing to worry about. Amber light is there for a reason.

is that the definative list
    it was at fairview, but from another angle at the malahide road junction

So spill the beans - what did you really do?

There's no way someone could be as worried as you are about running an amber light.

What'd you do - kidnap? kill someone? bank robbery?

none- just the amber
    boring i know

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

amber light in Dublin is different to amber light elsewhere. In Dublin it means that you have 20 seconds to keep going through the junction. a fresh red light means you have 5 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

OP, just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you! :pac:

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

is that the definative list
    it was at fairview, but from another angle at the malahide road junction
    They can pan, tilt and zoom.

Advertisement