Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the Vodafone announcement -49 euro package

Options
  • 27-05-2008 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

Is this good news for those of us who can't get eircom broadband?
    I am assuming that the Vodafone bb coverage will not be changing overnight but is it going to speed up the spread of mobile bb or force eircom to speed up?
    I have filled in the contact form on the Vodafone website and they promise a reply in 24 hours ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's not Broadband. When a sector is busy the latency rises to 1000ms and speed drops to 70kbps. Only 24 connections on one mast sector. So sometimes in a busy area won't connect. Phone handset voice uses the same spectrum/sector and has priority. Typical speeds 700k down 100k up ( 4 users maybe?) and min 120ms latency to nearest server. I get about 170ms on a fairly quiet O2 mast.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

i think gordief is referring to the announcement of vodafone that it's entering the landline DSL market. But I'm assuming it's just another perlico type offering, i.e. reselling Eircom product? So if you can't get Eircom BB you probably won't get vodafone BB either. Or they'll try and sell you their mobile broadband which as watty says is not really broadband. But as bad a 3g is (in comparison to a DSL connection) I'm happy to be able to at least be able to get it and am not forced to pay 60 a month for ... what was it... 100 hours of dialup!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

LinkySeems like they are giving you the package for 49 euro a month and if you can get DSL they will give you it for broadband and if not (or don't have a phoneline) they will give you their mobile service. Even though for having 75k mobile broadband customers they have had remarkably few compliants, I could see that changing if there is a serious uptake in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

yes the DSL is just the resold eircom that Perlico lost 17m on in one year. Almost impossible to make money out of reselling eircom dsl when you undercut them.

Advertisement