Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparitive English

Options
  • 27-05-2008 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Is there anybody who is just learning ''theme or issue'' for the comparitive study in English?

Any suggestions would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Dangerous, though it'd probably show up. Try and learn the other one you're doing that's not cultural context, if you have one that isn't.

Spend equal time in the essay on each text, don't neglect one. Have a key moment illustrating the theme, keep using words that mean 'in comparison' etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Sounds like a crazy risk. Cultural context isn't too bad I think. It came up last year and all, but my teacher was saying not to rule it out, because Cultural Context (well Social Setting) is up this year for ordinary level (well as an option I presume), and sometimes "they" give a break to teachers who've to teach a mixed class by giving the same question.

Of course, you never really know. But it's a big gamble. 70 mark question like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭lovechem

Literary Genre hasn't come up in yonks! If it did, happy days. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I'm concentrating on theme and issue but know literary genre fairly well. Staying away from cultural context.

Learning just one is crazy and not a risk anyone should take.

Side not, is anyone else just learning 4 poets?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Cultural Context is pimps when you put it under the following headings:
    Role of Family
    Influence of Women
    Religion
    Class Divisions
    eh, can't remember the last one!

I'm learning Theme/Issue and Cultural Context, I wouldn't touch literary genre with a barge pole!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Calorimeterman

Literary Genre is surprisingly easy. It may be boring and the last thing you're thinking of while watching Christy Brown biting a guy in the leg is "Hm, this film makes great use of the 3rd person", but all you need to do is write one essay and you'll be sorted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

We only did Theme and Issue in class. It'll probably come up, but I'm sure I can BS one of the others if it doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

ComparAtive

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

If you are planning on just doing T&I, why not pick an issue that ties into cultural context? Social divisions, there's an issue for you, but also links into cultural context. Sometimes I think there's very little in the difference between the two, it's all about the vocab and comparisons you pick.

Just do 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

Im just doing Theme and Issue. If it doesnt come up i can bs through cultural context. Basically the exact same just different key scenes.

as for poets im doing two well and going over another two briefly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

What essay structure are you all doing, 9/10 points with one point per paragraph or three points with one paragraph for each text(and three paragraphs for each point)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭cartman444

does anyone know how may comparisons are required on average, I only did 4 or 5 for my mock and i got 37 out of 70!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

BMH wrote: »
    What essay structure are you all doing, 9/10 points with one point per paragraph or three points with one paragraph for each text(and three paragraphs for each point)?

Not sure I explained this too well.
    What I mean by a "point" would be something like 'role of women' if you're doing the cultural context. If I was doing an essay, I'd take three points, and do three paragraphs on each point, focusing on one text in each paragraph(but comparing and contrasting at the same time).
    What others have said, however, is to do one point per paragraph, with discussion of all three texts contained within each paragraph.
    Just wondering what you're doing.

Well after studying both theme & issure and literery genre today im equally prepared for both, wrote out essays on each, have a couple points set in my head for each so when I go into do the exam ill just write out those few words on the booklet and go from there, worked for me in the pre.

whatever happens im staying away from cultural context.

cartman444 wrote: »
    does anyone know how may comparisons are required on average, I only did 4 or 5 for my mock and i got 37 out of 70!:p
    I did about 5 in the theme and issue question in my mock, got 65 out of 70, so its really all about the development and use of contrasting words and phrases like '' meanwhile in old school'' or ''in comparision'' etc

Yeah I agree, I did between 5 and 6 points and developed them, got about 4-5 pages and got 64/70. Keep a structure, having the "anchor" text first in each paragraph. However I like to do the texts that are similar and then do the text that contrasts(if there is any).

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Theme and issue is the only one that we really did in class, until last week, but I'm still pretty shaky on cultural context.

Chosen T&I is communication though, which ties in with class divisions and role of men and women fairly well.

Still boned.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

1huge1 wrote: »
    I'm concentrating on theme and issue but know literary genre fairly well. Staying away from cultural context.

Learning just one is crazy and not a risk anyone should take.

Side not, is anyone else just learning 4 poets?

Im learning 2! I garauntee Mahon is coming up and Rich is my safety net.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

1huge1 wrote: »
    I did about 5 in the theme and issue question in my mock, got 65 out of 70, so its really all about the development and use of contrasting words and phrases like '' meanwhile in old school'' or ''in comparision'' etc

+1, It's ALL about developement, listing comparisons can only take you so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Nikkio237

As many as possible, comparison wise. Even if you just note a point that's common or completely different in the tests every few lines or so, that'll get you a higher grade than writing on each text seperately. I think Theme & Issue and Literary Genre are supposed to be likely for this year, aren't they? I'd adore it if Cultural Context came up, but I think it's been asked the last 2 years, so probably have to discount it. Which is a pity, because I really hate Theme and Issue. Points wise, I'd say yeah, 5-6 points bringing in each of the texts? If you have the basic ideas and points prepared before you go in, you can write them down straight away somewhere and expand on them. Incidentally, General Viewpoint isn't on our course this year, is it?

• Advertisement

That's exactly what I do, keep rhyming the six points I have in mind and scribble the down really quickly when I get in and away I go. Don't have to worry about forgetting them, then it is a matter of expanding the points.

No general viewpoint isn't on this year. Thank God!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Nikkio237

Thank God is right, that means that whatever happens, I'm covered. If General Viewpoint was on, then I probably would have had to study T&I as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Alan Smith

Literary Genre and Theme OR Issue for me:o

Advertisement