Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ADI Part 1 exams

Options
  • 27-05-2008 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

Has anyone here sat or passed the part 1 exams and are they fairly similar to the DIR theory exams? Did anythign come up that you were not expecting? Could you give any tips? Is most stuff covered in the Driving instructors handbook, rules of the road and The Driving manual.
    Are there many questions on the mechanics of the car or legal things?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 coolshark

Hi Macca

I'm an Approved Driving Instructor, <SNIP>. Everything in the Theory test book but all categories is covered in the ADI Part 1 exam so study all the questions in the whole book and you'll be fine. Trucks, trailers, buses, cars, if you don't know a question go with your instinct and use your head.

You can email me:
    [email]<SNIP>@eircom.net[/email]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DrivingCampus

Macca206 wrote: »
    Has anyone here sat or passed the part 1 exams and are they fairly similar to the DIR theory exams? Did anythign come up that you were not expecting? Could you give any tips? Is most stuff covered in the Driving instructors handbook, rules of the road and The Driving manual.
    Are there many questions on the mechanics of the car or legal things?

The RSA should have sent you out an ADI information pack. In this pack the study material required to pass the exams are documented. From memory it includes:
    • Driving Instructors Hnadbook - John Miller
    • Rules of the Road book
    • Ricability Booklet (for adapted vehicles)
    • Official Theory Test Book
    • Standard Procedures for the Driving Test
    You should be able to get a downloadable version on the RSA website

The exam itself is straight forward enough, similar to the learner driver theory exam i.e. multiple choice questions. Questions will vary depending on the category of instruction being applied for.

I got a couple of questions based on the safety checks plus a couple on the mechanics of your vehicle (chapter 7 "The Car" in the Driving Instructor Handbook)

If you do adequate preparation then you really should have nothing to worry about. As another poster has said, use your common sense if you're unsure about any question.

Best of luck
    Padraic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Could anyone help please. The ISM site says that ADI part 1 test is in two parts, the first being the theory test, the second being a hazard perception test. I can find no reference to the hazard perception test in the RSA literature, is it part of the test.
    I'm also told part 1 test will take 2.5 hrs, if thats correct there must be a huge number of questions.
    Any info much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 coolshark

That question already answered. Can't remember the whole length of the exam but certainly was no where near 2.5 hours. Read the whole Theory Test book not just on cars though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

loobylou wrote: »
    Could anyone help please. The ISM site says that ADI part 1 test is in two parts, the first being the theory test, the second being a hazard perception test. I can find no reference to the hazard perception test in the RSA literature, is it part of the test.
    I'm also told part 1 test will take 2.5 hrs, if thats correct there must be a huge number of questions.
    Any info much appreciated.

This is incorrect

It is theory test type of test; hazard test is not part of it.
    My test was for categories B and C, 120 questions. Time taken about 40 – 45 min.

Advice: Read Theory test CD or Book, ROTR Book and all Information sent by the RSA also books recommended by the RSA.

I know about 20 – 25 people who have taken the test and all say their questions were different.

• Advertisement

Got thru that ok, some questions though were way harder then I expected. How have people found the next stage? I've surfed training providers on the net and seem to come across some shark like providers. How tough is the test? What is the tester looking for? Does he/she want you to pass the standard test with fewer faults or to see how you drive in an everyday situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Macca206

Forgot about this thread..for anyone doing it its harder than the DIR i thought but then i prob did less work for this one. A lot is common sense but also need to know about the different types of licence and whats needed on all the different tests for trailers, bikes, trucks etc which I felt wasnt too relevant but there you go. If you study rules of the road, drivers instructors handbook and driving the essential skills you wont go far wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭J_R

loobylou wrote: »
    Got thru that ok, some questions though were way harder then I expected. How have people found the next stage? I've surfed training providers on the net and seem to come across some shark like providers. How tough is the test? What is the tester looking for? Does he/she want you to pass the standard test with fewer faults or to see how you drive in an everyday situation?

Not very.

Pass Rate for Instructors who have already taken the tests
    Stage 1. 79% pass rate (Theory)
    Stage 2. 88% pass rate (Own Driving)
    Stage 3. 89% pass (Instructional Ability)

and
    Those who have had to repeat a particular stage have usually been successful second time round

Compare above to the UK Driving instructors qualifying exams (for 2005)

ADI Part 1. 50.4%
    ADI Part 2. 44.9%
    ADI Part 3. 28.3%

My opinion, government were more interested in getting the driving instructors into the tax net that improving road safety through higher standards.

(Tax compliant certificate must be produced before sitting above exams)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 osullm3

hi all

i have my test next week and stdying for a few months now,could u tell me did you get much questions on instruction ,trucks,bikes and buses,
    i think instruction side would be my weakest but i'll give it a go anyway,

Theres 5 sections, driver testing procedures, road safety, pedagogy (teaching), mechanics/maintenance and a section particular to the category you've applied for, B I presume for you. Some questions are really difficult but most are very staightforward. It's probably just the luck of the draw but I got a lot of questions relating to towing a trailer (for the cat B section), inc. widths and lengths of trailer allowable for the driving test.
    The section on teaching was probably the most difficult but it also has the lowest score required to pass 60%, as opposed to 70-75% for the other sections.
    As already posted, if you read and know the books listed by the RSA in their information literature you'll have no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 osullm3

thanks loobylou for the info and reply,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 InDublin666

The information here is pretty useful.. hagin said that... I failed :o(

Anyway, there are 4 sections you need to pass for stage one, plus an additional section for the category (s) that you intend to teach in.

Overall I was confident and did quite well, but if you fail any section you fail the lot..

I failed the section "Driver Testing Procedures and Documention.. Section 1..

I passed with flying colors the other sections:

2. Road Safety Precepts and Practices
    3. Pedagogy
    4. Basic Mechanics and Maintanance of echiles
    5. Membership Category B Car - max of 8 passengers

I had read the material suggested above.. and I had a CD from the UK (not finished with it yet obviously) that has ADI practice tests..

So the area of testing and documention I failed on, is my weak point.. I wasn't too aware of it as a section b4 I did the test.. So I'll book it again ASAP and I'm sure I'll be fine with it second time round..

I was surprised that although I was doing category B that I got so many question about other categories.. but that's not what failed me, so the advice above about studyhing the whole "Driver theory test book" is well advised..

I got 70 in the section I failed, and needed 75.... so one or two questions out.. I'm not too worried, and I know what to concentrate on now.. so I'll call after the weekend and book it again..

The kind of wuestions I got were about which of the following are cecondary controls that a tester might ask about.. the other checks.. tyres, under the bonnet etc.. and what are the different areas on the test form.. pink etc.. and also if someone failed for coasting, what section would that be marked on etc.. that's pretty much what I recall now... so it's back to the books for me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 RSA ADI MARK

hi indublin666 good luck when you sit part 1 again,when you pass and then do part2,pm me if you are looking for some advice,have you got an adi to help for part 2/3 im not looking i know some good ones in dublin im in the sunny southeast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Steve.sat

I just wanted to know if RSA Driving Instructors (ADI) Part II and III in Dublin are subject to three attempts as in the UK. Could some please enlighten me.

Thanks and regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 scoile

you can sit parts 2 and 3 as often as you like, at €200 a pop though.

Thanks Scoile.
    Do you mean to say that after having passed the theory test we can have as many attempts until we pass the practical exam and the same with the Part 3 which is instructional ability?

So it is different from the DSA set ADI exam in the United Kingdom where you are only allowed up to 3 attempts for both Part 1 and 2.

Please clarify. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 scoile

Yep, different to Uk system (where I think if you fail 3 times you must start at part 1 again and also serve out a 2 year time restriction).
    Here, if you keep paying you can keep trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

There is a requirement that you complete all 3 stages within 2 years or else you must go back to the start with Stage 1 again.

Thanks gentlemen - nice one. That is plenty of time to do in I suppose.

I am in the UK where I got myself indebted with a huge loan to pay for the instructor's training from a school which is only money hungry. After getting the money they have to be constantly reminded of their responsibility.

They are not providing me the training as they should do and as they claimed in their advertisement literature. They onlhy provide limited practical training assessment of up to 7 sessions. And that's it. You have to beg for more supervision. Without this help and without getting me the go-ahead for my practical it will be pointless for me to appear for my exam.

So I was thinking of Dublin as an option and may be I would come over to and do it there.

Advertisement