Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Alone

Options
  • 27-05-2008 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

I know this has been covered a million times before with regard to puppies but I just wanted to get your views on this.

Up to now our dog went with my better half to work everyday so she was never on her own really but recently circumstances have changed and this is not possible for her anymore and she is alone at home with freedom of the hall, kitchen and the living room. THing is she is never alone for more than three hours at a time as I cocme home for an hour at lunch hour and himself gets home about 2.5 to 3 hours after I've gone back to work after lunchtime.

Thing is, I HATE leaving her. I feel so so guilty about it. She has everything she needs and I have a few of those treat balls that you put treats inside and she has to get them out and she gets a walk in the morning, at lunch and again in the evenings. I suppose I'm just asking you all if this is ok? I have considered getting another dog to keep her company during the time she is alone but the thing is we rent our house and I'm not sure if that would be possible for her.

THanks in advance of any replies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'd say 2 x 3 hours is fine and should be no problem.

It is very important though not to let her feel that you hate doing this / that you are worried.

Dogs are very astute at picking up our emotions, even if we try to hide them.

As long as you can treat leaving her alone as a matter of fact, so will she.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

peasant wrote: »
    I'd say 2 x 3 hours is fine and should be no problem.

It is very important though not to let her feel that you hate doing this / that you are worried.

Dogs are very astute at picking up our emotions, even if we try to hide them.

As long as you can treat leaving her alone as a matter of fact, so will she.

THanks Peasant!

Like you say it's me that is the problem, I try to be matter of fact about it and I'm getting better but it's hard to do. Mind you I put some treats in a ball for her this lunchtime when I left and off down the hall she went with it and didn't frankly give a rats arse that I was leaving! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭creme egg

Thalia,

we are in exactly the same situation with our dog (7 months old). he is left for a few hours every day. My other half comes home at lunch and plays with the dog, chases him in the garden etc. OH feels more upset about leaving dog than I do. We do the same too, leave treats in hiding spots for him, and he is not too bothered when we do leave. I'd love to get a video set up one day to see what they actually do when we are gone. I would say catching a lot of zzzzzzzz in his bed would be number 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

I think 2 - 3 hours is fine. In fact there have been times that I have left my dog for up to 6 hours. That is an an extremely rare event and I don't like doing that. My reasoning is that I am alone for hours sometimes. I might get lonely and bored but that's life! Just because you are a dog doesn't mean that you need human attention and stimulation constantly.

When I have had people to stay, they tell me that my dog just sleeps when I am out. She doesn't interact with them even if they are eager to play with her. When I come home, she is all action and wants to play with anybody.
    Weird, huh?

OP, your dog is obviously loved and well cared for. She has a great life.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

My dogs get irritated when I work from home as it upsets their routines. :D

I've set up a webcam in the past and they just slob about waiting for one of us to get home. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement