Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garage - Taking 3 months to fix an oil leak!

Options
  • 27-05-2008 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all,

I bought a car from a certain independent garage at Christmas with a 6 month warranty. I noticed that the steering fluid reservoir was quite low so i brought it back to them. They said that there was air in the system and seemed to fix it then and there and topped up the reservoir. However after a few weeks the res was low again (much lower then the min mark). I’ll keep this short and relatively vague as it is ongoing:
    • Brought the car back to dealer – 3 weeks later got car back – was told that the leak was fixed
    • Next day res was very low. Rang dealer I was told they would take it to main dealer.
    • I was told that the main dealer had identified the problem & it would take 5-10 working days to get parts in (I was told from UK, Belgium, Spain…)
    • Got car back, still leaking just as bad as before. I sought some advice and was told to bring it to the main brand dealer. The independent dealer said they would pay for the repairs. When I asked why hadn’t the brand dealer noticed it last time – turns out I was lied to they hadn’t brought it to a main dealer at all.
    • The main dealer identified the problem in two hours (this is after 3 months of hassle) and called the independent dealer to authorize the work. Ind. Dealer refused on the grounds of expense.
    • Ind. Dealer says can get work done cheaper elsewhere.
    This was last week. I’m still waiting to hear when the work can get done. I was meant to go on a road trip around Europe 10 days ago and had to cancel the ferry because of this issue. Of course I’ve left out the rudeness and terrible customer service that I’ve received.
    I would love to name and shame but it doesn’t seem to be the thing to do. Any way just writing to see what others would do in this situation…

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Mac 3

Just wondering, what sort of car is it and have you a copy of the warranty on paper. The reason I ask about the copy of the warranty on paper is just in the event of a solicitor getting involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Driver23

It's a Mazda. The warranty was typed on the invoice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

I'd name the dealer.....You've not writing anything libelous, just recounting a particularly bad experience. Find out if you're alone in your experience or if anyone else has had similar experience and who they fared out....

Gil

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

By naming the dealer, you are not giving them the same opportunity to defend themselves. Then when they eventually discover a thread abot them, they tend to discuss the matter with their solicitor.
    Be careful what is said.

@Driver23 - talk to a solicitor! You seem to be quite out of pocket over this (missed trip, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Why didn't you buy a litre of power steering fluid and just go on your holiday anyway - you could have topped it up every day and not given yourself all this hassle. Its not an oil leak, its a steering fluid leak and should be treated as such.

Has anyone told you what the actual problem is - is it the pump, rack or connecting pipework which is leaking? Unless you have a diagnosis you can't begin to address the problem. As for naming and shaming, I wouldn't bother as it doesn't fix anything in the long run. A solicitors letter often prompts these cowboys in the right direction though...

'cptr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Driver23

Hi all,

thanks for the support.

Hi Interceptor

The problem is that the steering pump seals are leaking, I brought it to a main dealer for analysis and repair. Analysis was done but the repair was refused by ind. dealer because of the cost and the Independent dealer says it can be done cheaper elsewhere. with regard to buying a litre of steering fluid and heading off. It is a good suggestion but aftere the recent "repairs" I bought some steering fluid (€18 per litre) used about 300mls to fill the reservoir in the morning and by early evening it was nearly empty and I was 100 miles from home, filled it again by the time I got home it was nearly empty. So I figured €9 per 250 miles for steering fluid is not good considering its spraying all over the engine and I was meant to be driving ~6000kms in the next few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Demand a replacement power steering pump, replacing the seals may not be good enough if the shafts in the pump are pitted or worn. If they don't co operate send them a solicitors letter.

Advertisement