Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless signal not strong as I expected...

Options
  • 27-05-2008 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

Alright moved into a house with an Eircom Netopia 2247 downstairs with one laptop connected wirelessly and my own desktop upstairs connected wirelessly and it should be 2mb but at all times (the laptop is switched off) I'm only getting between 100k and 120k upstairs. I've fiddled with all the router settings, I've opened a few doors (they're quite heavy thought they might cause interference) to no avail. I've tried third party wireless manager programs to no avail and everything else. What do you think is the problem?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Geff wrote: »
    Alright moved into a house with an Eircom Netopia 2247 downstairs with one laptop connected wirelessly and my own desktop upstairs connected wirelessly and it should be 2mb but at all times (the laptop is switched off) I'm only getting between 100k and 120k upstairs. I've fiddled with all the router settings, I've opened a few doors (they're quite heavy thought they might cause interference) to no avail. I've tried third party wireless manager programs to no avail and everything else. What do you think is the problem?

Well first off it shouldn't necessarily be 2mb at all times (in an ideal world yes!)

What speed are you getting when you connect by cable?

Unfortunately wireless performance is notoriously unpredictable and really is unique to every individual situation. Is it an old house with very thick wall for example? Would there be any wireless networks nearby? What speed do you get with the laptop used wirelessly closer to the netopia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Geff

1. My old connection in another house not too far away from this got 2mb+ constantly. It NEVER dipped. I know about contention rates etc but my connection never dipped basically because I always used download accelerators such as downTHEMall and got 200k+ constantly same goes for torrents and Rapidshare.

2. I can't connect it by cable here because its just too far away (40ft+).

3. I understand wireless performance is unpredictable but the walls aren't that thick (its a recently built apartment block) and their should be minimal interference radio wise because my wireless dongle doesn't pick up any nearby wireless networks so I don't think many people use it around here.

4. I've used the same wireless dongle in my old house with 3 people sharing the connection and it was always fast. I know different scenario etc but its ridiculously slow dropping down to about 10k sometimes for long periods of time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

1. My old connection in another house not too far away from this got 2mb+ constantly. It NEVER dipped. I know about contention rates etc but my connection never dipped basically because I always used download accelerators such as downTHEMall and got 200k+ constantly same goes for torrents and Rapidshare.

3. I understand wireless performance is unpredictable but the walls aren't that thick (its a recently built apartment block) and their should be minimal interference radio wise because my wireless dongle doesn't pick up any nearby wireless networks so I don't think many people use it around here.

4. I've used the same wireless dongle in my old house with 3 people sharing the connection and it was always fast. I know different scenario etc but its ridiculously slow dropping down to about 10k sometimes for long periods of time.

Can you connect the laptop by cable and see what speed you are getting line stats etc? And remember that to some degree anyways your connection in another house is irrelevant your line to your new apartment is the basic contributor and it is important to establish if that is the problem or the wireless network.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Try change wireless channels the, as all Eircom supplied routers are at channel 7 by default.

Advertisement