Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help wanted - first private sale

Options
  • 26-05-2008 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

Hi - looking for a bit of advice about my first private car sale:

1. What's it worth?

I've got a March 2003 2 litre petrol Accord Executive with 43,300 on it imported by me from Scotland 2 years ago - bought from a Honda dealer so came with mileage verification and HPI check etc. Has full Honda service history from new -last service a week ago and due for NCT next week. Never given any trouble and will also be getting a few minor scratches sorted before selling. Very high spec. black leather electrically adjustable heated seats with lumbar support, dual climate, sunroof, cruise control. I've also added an ipod input which is integrated with the steering wheel controls - not sure whether to include it or keep it for the 2005 CRV I'll be picking up next week!:D

I could only find one for sale privately of similar age/spec/mileage - looking for €17,500 - is this about right??

2. Where to advertise. I was thinking carzone.ie - is it worth paying the extra for them to put it in the Sunday Times? Also considering The Irish Times - figure I might price it a bit higher there! Correct me if I'm wrong but most of the cars on adverts.ie seem older/higher mileage but I guess as it's free it'd do no harm to put it up there too.

3. Should I show the number plate in the photos? I think I probably should as I have nothing to hide.

4. Is it best to meet buyers at my own house or on neutral turf?

5. Should I insist that I see the bank draft being bought before handing over the keys?

Answers and other hints and tips greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

what to do when selling a car worth more then a cash amount ( say 1000 where you bring notes rather then a bank draft ) =

you show them the car , when they like it tell them this " 17,750 via bank draft or 17,500 cash "

if they choose the bank draft , hold the keys till it clears then sign it over and enjoy the money.

also full honda service history is a big bonus, also the low miles , just change the oil before selling her on.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is this the car by any chance? :D
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Honda/Accord/SE-Execitive/1067735/

No offence but I don't think your going to get near €17,500 for a 2003 year old Accord despite it being in immaculate condition.

Unfortunately it is a buyers market out there at the moment, nothing is shifting either through dealers or private sales and with a new Accord being launched next month I really cannot see someone paying that kind of money for a 5 year old one. The fact is that someone can go to the UK themselves and bring a similar one back, VRT it and it will still work out cheaper. A friend of mine just brought back a 2005 Accord 2.2 i-CDTi Exec from the UK on Sunday, granted it has 95k motorway miles on but it has a FHSH and is spotless according to him, he only paid GB£6,500 for it over there.

Imho I think €15,000 is a more realistic price to ask for your one.

My 2c anyway and best of luck with the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

bazz26 wrote: »
    Is this the car by any chance? :D
    I'd say you're 2,000 miles out there! :pac:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Bazz26 - no it's not the car as esel says you're 2,000 miles out! As for your mate, 95K, even for a diesel, is a very high mileage and most people couldn't be ars*d to import from the UK. By my calculations he payed 15,366 euro (and I'm being generous with the exchange rate) including VRT plus flight/ferry not to mention road tax for a 2.2 litre car- 791 euro pa! I was thinking maybe €17,500 is a little high but I can always reduce if there's little/no interest.

S.I.R. if I was a buyer I'm not sure I'd be happy to hand over a bank draft and then have to wait 5 days for the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I can give you the number of a friend working for the Car Buyers Guide.
    He's new there but apparently doing very well. I'm sure he'd love your business.
    PM me if you want the number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

i was talking to my friend yesterday and mentioned you to him. He reckoned he could probably get you into the "Deal of the Week" section if you're interested... again pm me if you want the number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

digitaldr wrote: »
    Bazz26 - no it's not the car as esel says you're 2,000 miles out! As for your mate, 95K, even for a diesel, is a very high mileage and most people couldn't be ars*d to import from the UK. By my calculations he payed 15,366 euro (and I'm being generous with the exchange rate) including VRT plus flight/ferry not to mention road tax for a 2.2 litre car- 791 euro pa! I was thinking maybe €17,500 is a little high but I can always reduce if there's little/no interest.

S.I.R. if I was a buyer I'm not sure I'd be happy to hand over a bank draft and then have to wait 5 days for the car.

i wouldnt hand over a car worth 1k or more till i have the money in my bank account , ofcourse id give the fella and refferances or such that he needs.

i

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Price the same make and model at its current market value in the UK, calculate VRT rate on the same model, total them. Factor in roughly €500 for flight, boat, day off work etc when importing and theres your price.

Realistically, secondhand cars in ireland at the moment are only worth their market value in the UK plus VRT and expenses. The sooner people in ireland realise this and readjust their pricing to stem the flow of imports the better. If things continue the way they are, Soon there will be no market to speak of for either Irish OR Imported cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Bendihorse wrote: »
    The sooner people in ireland realise this and readjust their pricing to stem the flow of imports the better.

Thankfully they haven't quite realised it yet and as I said earlier not everyone is willing to take the plunge and import for themselves.

ShayK1 might give your friend a buzz but not sure I'd want to go for deal of the week - always been suspicious of them!

Is there any drawback/potential for getting scammed in my plan to witness the draft being purchased?

Advertisement