Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Subaru Legacy diesel

Options
  • 26-05-2008 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

Been considering a new motor for months now - everything from a Focus 1.8TDCI to a Mazda 6 right up to a 320D SE. Would go for a hi-power low CO2 petrol if I could think of a decent one (as long as it's not an Audi).

My latest brainwave:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Subaru/Legacy/BOXER-DIESEL/1059802/

Now i know the design has been around for a few years...
    ...and it reminds me of a Hyundai Sonata...
    ...and that Clarkson savaged it...

But I can't help thinking this would be a STONKING piece of real-world kit...:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Boxer diesel ...if I had the money to buy new, I'd get one myself (if only to stick the engine in the back of my van :D)

Seriously though ...the Legacy saloon (the petrol one) seems to be pretty re-sale proof ...you might want to consider the estate version or maybe the Forester with the same engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

What's with all this "low-CO2" crap-o-la these days? Is everybody finally buying into the tree-huggers' spiel? :pac:
    I'm swapping my 2.0 R for a 2.5 WRX STi D-spec in 2 months , it be treat time! :D (and don't ya all jump down my throat for it, the alternative is a 3rd car... with a TVR badge on the front: now there's a hydrocarbon plant!)

Seriously though... about time they added a diesel option throughout their ranges, they're only overdue by 10-odd years or more!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭vectra

anyone get a price for it yet ?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

im guess low mid 30's.... though i wouldn't buy one straight away, wait till the get all the issues it may or may not have sorted out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

vectra wrote: »
    anyone get a price for it yet ?:)

I e-mailed subaru on this as I'll be buying one in January and they said they weren't being released until July. Don't know where that garage in Donegal got theirs then! There will be no automatic available in the diesel though.

• Advertisement

furtzy wrote: »
    I e-mailed subaru on this as I'll be buying one in January and they said they weren't being released until July. Don't know where that garage in Donegal got theirs then! There will be no automatic available in the diesel though.

Hmm,
    I might email that garage in Donegal then asking for a price ;)

Auto wouldnt bother me. I prefer manual :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

They're a nice bus alright. I'll buy one in 3 years time when they're worth a lot less!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

They may have got one from a UK/NI dealer as they are on the market there for a while. I think about 20K Sterling so that would normally equate to near enough 40K Euro here, but with currency and new VRT rates, I would say mid 30's - maybe even lower.

Most new cars have a few issues but since everything but the engine is tried & tested, IMHO a great buy. Normally 2 years in to a new model is the time to buy, but if they did an auto, I would have ordered one months ago. The Legacy is arguable the best (& over) engineered car for the price anywhere, unpretentious motoring (& ownership) for those who can discern between real quality and affectation.

The estate holds its value much better than the saloon, is more practical, is wonderfully understated (more so than an Audi or BMW), but as supply I imagine will be very limited for the immediate future, they will be only be driven by those astute enough to get in quick. Think, feel, drive - A Subaru!;)

TomMc wrote: »
    They may have got one from a UK/NI dealer as they are on the market there for a while. I think about 20K Sterling so that would normally equate to near enough 40K Euro here, but with currency and new VRT rates, I would say mid 30's - maybe even lower.

Most new cars have a few issues but since everything but the engine is tried & tested, IMHO a great buy. Normally 2 years in to a new model is the time to buy, but if they did an auto, I would have ordered one months ago. The Legacy is arguable the best (& over) engineered car for the price anywhere, unpretentious motoring (& ownership) for those who can discern between real quality and affectation.

The estate holds its value much better than the saloon, is more practical, is wonderfully understated (more so than an Audi or BMW), but as supply I imagine will be very limited for the immediate future, they will be only be driven by those astute enough to get in quick. Think, feel, drive - A Subaru!;)

+1....will be ordering the estate diesel RE spec around September for January delivery. Always said I'd get a Subaru when they did diesel. My Dad had a Forester years ago and I loved driving it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

peasant wrote: »
    Seriously though ...the Legacy saloon (the petrol one) seems to be pretty re-sale proof ...you might want to consider the estate version or maybe the Forester with the same engine.

The buyer profile might change a bit if diesel available. The estate looks great, really classy, but I have no need for that much space.

I think the Legacy - saloon or estate - is very handsome in an understated way. It would need to be coming in at low €30...s though - VRT should be quite low with such a good CO2 figure. It's funny, Subarus have quite a different image in the UK - very popular amongst farmers and landed gentry. Apparantly the 4wd saloons/estates were sold in farmers co-op shops back in the 70s/80s and established a rural following.

I still remember Colin McRae in a legacy on the Circuit of Ireland - way before the boy-racers latched on to Imprezas...

• Advertisement

pburns wrote: »
    I still remember Colin McRae in a legacy on the Circuit of Ireland - way before the boy-racers latched on to Imprezas...

Those were the days :cool:
    Thats when I fell in love with the Legacy
    Remember in the early 90's they had the Quad cam Bi-turbo estate..:eek:

What a car ;) >> Colin McRae at 1992 Rally of Thousand Lakes << :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

pburns wrote: »
    ...and that Clarkson savaged it...

But I can't help thinking this would be a STONKING piece of real-world kit...:p

Are you sure Clarkson savaged it?
    He's always been very fond of the Legacy's.

Maybe twas the fact that it was diesel?

Soarer wrote: »
    Are you sure Clarkson savaged it?
    He's always been very fond of the Legacy's.

Maybe twas the fact that it was diesel?

Usual ****e from Clarkson.....what a twat

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article3638139.ece

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

vectra wrote: »

Class video. How did he roll it so many times and get away:eek:???

Timmaay wrote: »
    How did he roll it so many times and get away:eek:???

2 reasons

1) It was a Subaru

2) because it was Colin driving :D >>> { R.I.P. } :(

Got around to driving one of these babies today...

Have to say I was impressed. Engine smooth and linear with a lovely growl (for a diesel).

Looks better in the flesh than Carzone pics. It's quite handsome in fact - understated but with a hint of subdued menace I'd say:cool:...

Interior wouldn't have the Audi-o-philes of this parish pulling their wire but definely better than I thought (there was a facelift last year I think).

Biggest revelation is the 4wd though - the way it grips coming out of a corner is really satisfying and unlike anything I've ever driven before (and I wasn't driving like a muppet)

Price is just over 31 grand and only one spec so far AFAIK. Build quality seems excellent but there has been no money spent on pretensions - the remote fob is an ugly plastic yoke and none of the push-button/depress-clutch stuff you get in many new cars.

But...eh...I kinda like it...:eek:

Where did you manage to find one ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

That's the same question I was going to ask:D!

EDIT: There are a few out there now it seems at your local Subaru dealer. A very timely addition to the range with the new VRT rules only weeks away. No Auto is a mistake though.

As for a fast but frugal petrol, the OP's decision to ignore Audi is a mistake IMO, for the same VRT and road tax band as the Scooby paraffin stove the OP could buy the new B8 A4 from July with a 2.0 TFSI engine, with either 180 or 211 bhp, and 236 or 258 lb ft of torque respectively, as well as an average fuel consumption of around 45 mpg. The 211 bhp engine must be an extraordinary engine, God I'd love to drive it!

There is also the 320i, though that is considerably less powerful at 170 bhp but also manages 20% VRT.

E92 wrote: »
    That's the same question I was going to ask:D!

EDIT: There are a few out there now it seems at your local Subaru dealer. A very timely addition to the range with the new VRT rules only weeks away. No Auto is a mistake though.

As for a fast but frugal petrol, the OP's decision to ignore Audi is a mistake IMO, for the same VRT and road tax band as the Scooby paraffin stove the OP could buy the new B8 A4 from July with a 2.0 TFSI engine, with either 180 or 211 bhp, and 236 or 258 lb ft of torque respectively, as well as an average fuel consumption of around 45 mpg. The 211 bhp engine must be an extraordinary engine, God I'd love to drive it!

There is also the 320i, though that is considerably less powerful at 170 bhp but also manages 20% VRT.

Yes, most Subaru dealers seem to have them in stock - timely arrival for July. A big boost for Subaru dealers I reckon!

Yes, that Audi engine looks impressive but I am totally underwhelmed by the looks/interior of the latest A4. I drove a 3 series diesel today as well and TBH despite a brilliant spec it made no impression 'cos I was still thinking about that Subaru!! I was offered 4 grand less by the Bimmer-stealer as well for my own car (and I pretty much know the 'book value of my car ;)). He was making a big deal about how good BMW was slashing the prices for VRT. Therefore I should be happy to accept less than my car is worth...:rolleyes:

The Bimmer happened to be a 318 and even though beautifully appointed (leather etc), as a driving experience the Subaru was in another league. IMO of course...

And just in case any Subaru dealers are reading this and meet me within the next couple of weeks - if I don't get a good deal I'll be sticking with me own yoke!;)

Advertisement