Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor dogs next door

Options
  • 26-05-2008 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

I have noticed that the people next door to us have a cage in their backyard with TWO husky breed dogs in it. The dogs would be in a cage 6ft high, 2m x 4m with a small kennel inside in. This cage is in the backyard.

The only thing I can think of as to why they would be locked up in a cage all day is because the family has kids. Though the yard itself wouldn't be big enough for two dogs even without the cage within it.

Surely this counts as animal cruelty, is there anyone I can call to report this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Heres the ISPCA contact info LINK Talk to them and see if they think what you've seen constitutes cruelty.
    Or find your nearest SPCA here LINK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭highlight100

People should not be alowed pets if they can't look after them,bet the owners would not like to be locked themselves in a cage all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Are they taken out of the cage regularly do you know? I don't know if the ISPCA can do anything once the dogs have food, water and shelter - everything else is optional :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

It's not always crule just because it looks crule.
    Dogs don't think like humans, they do not require a deck and south facing garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ruthy85

It is crule if they are yelping day and night....The dog in question is huge a big beautiful husky......I'm also a neigbor and I have been keeping an eye out - the owner walks him on the weekend but not during the week...Poor dog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

It is cruelty. An animal requires exercise and stimulation. I would report them straight away, and also confront them.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Unfortunately, in the eyes of the law exercise and stimulation are not a physical requirement to a pet. All the law requires is adequate food, water and shelter, if this is being provided then noone can force them to change their ways.

By all means report it to the ISPCA, ring the national cruelty line is the best way to ensure that they will come out and check it out. They will have a chat with the guy and might persuade him to change his ways. It's not always a good idea to confront the person yourself if you are reporting them unless you are fairly certain of getting a good reception. If you can build up a friendship with them you may have some influence, but if you just march up to them you will get their back up and they will pay no attention to the crazy meddlesome person.

Unless our laws regarding animals change this will remain to be a common sight all over this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If Fast1 and Ruthy85 are neighbours then they should both contact the authorities. There's little else anyone on the Boards can do except advise them on that course of action.
    Egan007 has a point to a degree in that what somepeople consiser crueel may not actually be so. Let the ISPCA decide. If the dogs are howling constantly as Ruthy85 states then contact the council as well from a noise nuisance angle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Hearsay and speculation, how you can condemn people without actually speaking to them about their dogs is beyond me. You dont actually know if they walk the dogs or even if they keep them in this cage 24/7

Oh and CRUEL ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

you dont know them dogs arent walked every day. un-less your twitching curtains 24-7. nosey neighbours should get all the facts before condemming a dog owner. for all you know they walked late at night or early morning or whenever your in work.

• Advertisement

Whatever...Lets lock you up in a cage and see how you like it.....:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

This sounds like the set up a school friend of mine had/has. However, the dogs are walked. They get a daily walk and are very much loved and happy dogs.

Don't be too quick to take things on face value. My dog has a MASSIVE garden to run around in yet before he got the snip snip done he used to pace around the one small area howling because there was a bitch in heat somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 fast1

I have seen the dogs being walked once in the few weeks they have had them. Not to say they don't, but even then being caged up in a 2 x 4m cage for 22 hours a day is not fair on a large dog. If it was a little yap yap breed then fair enough, but not a large dog and to have 2 in the same cage is not fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

so they're new to dog ownership? in that case, rather than going all formal and legal on them, why not pop around and make some conversation about the dogs and how you noticed they might get a little bit bored!

If they've only just gotten them it could be a genuine mistake they made following something they read in a dodgy pet ownership book. If you give them good advice on how to care for them and raise them and they still ignore it, by all means call the ISPCA but give them benefit of the doubt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

I am not saying its ok but think about the proportions of this so called cage

2m*4m*6ft

Thats pretty big.

I dont think its fair to keep the dogs enclosed like this 24/7 but i also dont think you are there watching the dogs locked up 24/7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

No dog should be kept in a run like that all day. Huskies are a working breed and need at least probably 2hrs exersize a day and AFAIK they need plenty of running either off-lead are on a long line for exersize, since they are bred to run for miles.

Poor dogs :( the laws in this country need to change and fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

You could offer to walk the dogs once a day...?

I am not peeping out the window 24/7 but i hear them yellping day and night...They are the only dogs on the street....Anyway it was just a request for advice

Advertisement