Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Show me the new "bubble car"

Options
  • 26-05-2008 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

With the way fuel prices, congestion and the CO2 discussion are going, it's only a matter of time until the old post war concept of minimalistic "bubble cars" will see a revival ...hopefully modernised, clean and safe cars .

The Smart car was a first step in that direction, altough somewhat of a failure due to high prices and an iffy engine/drivetrain combination.

The internet throws up all sorts of madcap ideas and concepts, from the torturous "gee-whizz" to the silly named "twike"

The coolest one I've found so far (and that I could even see myself owning and driving) is this one:

http://www.aptera.com/details.php

You can reserve one now for 27.000 USD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

2010 will see the arrival of modern equivalents of the bubble car.

The Fiat Topolino and VW UP!(Lupo) will hit the market. The Toyota iQ will also be released.
    They look like they are going to be rear engined, rear wheel drive with twin cylinder engines.

The twin cylinder engine for the Topolino will find it's way in to the Panda and 500. The Panda is already a fine car and with the twin cylinder engine looks like it will get over 60MPG and cost only 100 euro to tax.
    What's different from the '50 is now people are looking to downsize from conventional cars to smaller cars rather than looking to make the move from two wheels to four.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Advertisement