Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What ever happened to Antes Up!

Options
  • 26-05-2008 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

Probably not worth starting a thread over, but I've been wondering for a while what happened with Antesup.com. I was only aware of its existence for a while, and found it a good spot for a list of upcoming events, and results from previous games.
    As far as I can tell it hasn't been updated since last February. Although the poker news bit still seems to be up to date.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭corkie123

pity about antes up loved there coverage of touries but seems like the guys have other things to do these days pity :(:(:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I'd say it's getter harder and harder to cover events tbh. The WSOP gets more restrictive every year for press. From 2 years ago, when I got a press pass :), to now I would imagine it will be difficult for AntesUp to get decent access.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

musician wrote: »
    I'd say it's getter harder and harder to cover events tbh. The WSOP gets more restrictive every year for press. From 2 years ago, when I got a press pass :), to now I would imagine it will be difficult for AntesUp to get decent access.

Agree, unless they want to pay an absolute bomb to give publicity to Harrah's et al.....Shame the way the event has become more and more sold out as the year's have gone on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Conbro

Stephen McClean subtlely reminds the boards community that there is still another website in existance that offers a similar service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

Conbro wrote: »
    grumble grumble grumble grumble... bitter point... grumble grumble

Sir, I would like to subscribe to your newsletter!

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

To be honest, its a question we have been asking ourselves for a while now.

Covering the events simply isnt cost effective which left Antesup without a niche and to be honest, Mike and I were finding our hobby becoming our job, which was ok, but then poker became our jobs too and then it seemed like all we ever did was report on or play in or run poker games.

To tell you the truth, I think Antesup will be back as its something we have been making a lot of rumbles about between us in the last while, but as what.. I'm not sure.

Reporting on tournies also became impossible. Even with the EPT where they are very reporter friendly, its become a chore with dozens and dozens of outlets pushing and shoving to get the counts and what have you. Then TV arrives and we are blocked out or have to deal with them too. It all costs and frankly, there's little or no return.

So, we'll see over the summer where things go.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,131 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Conbro

grumble grumble grumble grumble... bitter point... grumble grumble

Said without a hint of irony. Im sure you'ld find great solace in a publication with such content. If only you could find time to read when not tussling with cardroom managers about the structure of tournaments you have absolutely no intention of playing in.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I will definitely not be covering the WSOP this year, sorry lads. I dont know if Mike is going out there this year, I'm sure we have qualifiers etc (I have no daily involvement with GJP and I dont think he'd appreciate the call at 4am :) ).

I doubt if many of the independant operators will be reporting to be honest. Unfortunately that leaves it to the big boys, and they dont care about us. :(

I'd love to say, vote with your feet or somehow let Harrahs know but frankly, they dont care and when money gets involved the concerns of some small blogs and reporting sites are of little concern to them.... realistically, why should they care?

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,131 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

Antes Up will get a facelift at some point in the not too distant future. I was hoping that the Irish poker rooms would take advantage of some free publicity which only costs them sending in their ranking tournament results and schedules but most (some, and i am sure they know who they are do ok) of them cannot see farther than their noses so the Antes Up Irish rankings will no longer continue as I am fcuked if I am going to spend months chasing them up.

GJP will be in Vegas and I have enough contacts that should any Irish players do well then you will be able to follow their progress in detail on one of the larger sites that have monopolised the coverage.

If you play on GJP and are in vegas this summer make sure you keep the 5th July Free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Shortstack wrote: »
    Antes Up will get a facelift at some point in the not too distant future. I was hoping that the Irish poker rooms would take advantage of some free publicity which only costs them sending in their ranking tournament results and schedules but most (some, and i am sure they know who they are do ok) of them cannot see farther than their noses so the Antes Up Irish rankings will no longer continue as I am fcuked if I am going to spend months chasing them up.

GJP will be in Vegas and I have enough contacts that should any Irish players do well then you will be able to follow their progress in detail on one of the larger sites that have monopolised the coverage.

If you play on GJP and are in vegas this summer make sure you keep the 5th July Free.

Knew you guys would come good with the Hookers and Coke, can i order two orientals please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Knew you guys would come good with the Hookers and Coke, can i order two orientals please

+1

im considering just going for this

Advertisement