Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hardballing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Bit cheeky but sure go for it you could be surprised! Would be a great deal at 22k if you got a decent BMW warranty with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Here's an idea, ring him and ask him will he take 20k...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

Here's an idea, ring him and ask him will he take 20k...
    We're in hypothetical territory here. And I doubt somebody would agree over the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The only things cheaper out there have much higher mileage and/or are petrol. Some 04 530ds are going for over €15k more!

I can't see a dealer taking anyone seriously if you go in looking for €7k off straight away, especially when it's one of the cheapest around. I think it is cheap as it is tbh, yes I know it's the old model(the old one is in fact much better) but it does have only 24,000 miles and has leather as well. I would have thought it would be an easy enough car to sell. Then again with used car sales the way they are at the moment now is as good a time as any to strick while the iron is hot.

I'd say the best thing is to go and drive it and see if you actually like it. And then start haggling. See how desperate they are. The more desparate they are the more you can try and chip away off that price. If you don't ask you won't know of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I'd say you would get it for €22k, really depends what money dealer made on the trade in and if he wants to offload the motor fast at little profit. It's the sort of car that perhaps 2 or 3% of the motoring public is interested in buying for a combintation of running costs and size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Surely a couple of grand built in for a trade in anyway so some hangling might get it for 22 - 23k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Phaetonman wrote: »
    Could I get this for 20K straight. Its the old model and I'm fairly sure it could be sitting on his lot for quite a while.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/530/d-Saloon/1005003/

its the older body... he'd be lucky if i offered him 18 for it.... i kid meh its worth 20 or there abouts.... wonder why its been sitting there awhile.... im not fond of the color....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

It's a manual so not highly sought after. I'd say go for it. If he says no, just leave your contact details and he can get back to you if he changes his mind.

Did this a few years back on a Porsche. Was looking for a 911 and saw a nice example, but felt it was €7k over priced. I offered what I thought it was worth and the guy looked at me as if I'd insulted his mother.

I left my contact details. To my surprise, he contacted me two months later and asked if I was still interested. I had already bought something else at that stage so didn't go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,979 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Phaetonman wrote: »
    Could I get this for 20K straight.

I'd say you have a fighting chance. State it is a deal or no deal situation and prove to him you mean business i.e show him your cash. Give him a deadline

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

You could point at the main dealer cutting *up to* €8k off used BMWs with the impending VRT savings and say €20k is what you're willing to deal for. If the salesman isn't willing to deal he's down a sale, you've lost nothing by asking. Most likely it cost them about €22k-€23k though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

This is more my bracket.

Beige Leather, 16 Inch Alloys, Multi Function Sport Steering Wheel, Climate Air Conditioning, Front & Rear Parking Sensors, Electric Sunroof, Phone System, Xenon Headlights, Cruise Control, Heated Front Seats, Front Fog Lights,

Might get that for 12500, it would be a stepup from my 520 too :)

http://mckeonmotors.webzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1073572

Might get that for 12500, it would be a stepup from my 520 too :)

http://mckeonmotors.webzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1073572

Nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

It's a nice car but there are a few thing's against it for the price, crap colour inside and out, no air con., I'd be wary of the milage, (take a look at the drivers seat, it looks fairly worn, unless it was a fat git who owned it previously), it is the old shape, now nearly five years out of date (even if it is nicer than the current one), I'd offer no more than €20,000 and see how you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Due to hte age of it (4 years) its due an NCT, and soon enough judging by the registration. I wonder if the dealer has reservations about its being able to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

WHITE_P wrote: »
    crap colour inside and out

Well I'm glad you cleared that up for us...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Boots2006

There will be a brake fluid and coolant change due on that 2004 530d at the 4-year mark, might also be due an inspection II
    ... spec looks alright, it has air-con, leather, multi-function steering wheel etc., stereo would take a 6-CD boot changer (although it isn't mentioned).

The wear on the seat is normal, you'll see it on other E39s as well, something to do with the seat padding / pedal offset. Nothing to worry about.

The biggest drawback is the manual gearbox, nobody will be looking for that, including anyone you may want to sell it on to in a few years time ...

If you like to drive, manual is what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

If you like to be able to re-sell your car, 5-series manual with a 3 litre engine is NOT what you want...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

AudiChris wrote: »
    If you like to be able to re-sell your car, 5-series manual with a 3 litre engine is NOT what you want...
    By that reasoning the car is worth €0.
    I'm interested so obviously any discount now would offset any loss.

I'm not saying noone will want it, that's foolish. I am saying that it's possibly a car you'll get stuck with in the future and you should bear that in mind. I'm sure you've already taken that into consideration with your pricing offer.

Did you get the chance to call them today? What did they say to the offer?

• Advertisement

AudiChris wrote: »

So is it safe "under your assumption to say" that any 3 litre car with a manual gearbox is NOT what you want?

It's a pretty decent rule of thumb that, as you get into the larger executive cars - 5-Series, E-Class etc. that the average driver will be looking for automatic.

As the engines get bigger, that trend gets stronger.

Once you get to the performance models, that trend will reverse (as you say, in the drivers' cars), although they usually comprise a small proportion of the sales for that model.

Do you not agree?

Somewhat...

If you had a choice between transmission types, what would you choose and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I believe, though I'm not certain, that a good number of TTs are now being sold as autos. A partner at work bought one last year despite severe reservations before driving it.

I'd have an auto above a manual in general, most of them are just out of my insurance bracket or underpowered.

If you like to drive, manual is what you want.

Oh dear...

Somebody should take your syncromesh away. And your power steering, abs brakes, traction control, etc. etc. ;)

Perhaps i may have stepped in something. But you know what I mean unkel...

But you know what I mean unkel...

I always thought I did. Until I bought my first petrol V8 car with an auto transmission about 8 years ago. I've been hooked on that combo since. Did you ever try one?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Any news on the outcome here, still haggling or he told you to *?!$ off...

unkel wrote: »
    I always thought I did. Until I bought my first petrol V8 car with an auto transmission about 8 years ago. I've been hooked on that combo since. Did you ever try one?

No, never tried one. Closest to a powerful AM was a '05 Saab 93 2.0T

• Advertisement

Closest to a powerful AM was a '05 Saab 93 2.0T

With a tiny 4-pot engine? ;)

Seriously, try a large V8 petrol engine with an autobox. Any will do but obviously some will bring the point home sharper than others :D

Advertisement