Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for used car recommendations... about €14,000 to spend

Options
  • 26-05-2008 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I've got a '98 Audi A3 that I'm looking to trade in. Hoping to get ~€4,000 trade in on that car and then willing to spend another ~€10,000.
    I live in the city centre and nearly always have to park in tight spots, so looking for something of similar size to the A3. Preference for a 1.6 petrol engine, although I'd get a 1.4 if I thought it was zippy enough.

I'd love to get another A3, but they're too expensive. Was thinking of a Golf, but they're pretty pricey too and a bit too common.

What would you recommend?
    I quite like the Opel Astra, but it seems hard to get a 1.6. The Seat Leon or Mazda3 seem pretty good too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

focus? I have the old model, but there are some nicely specced new models out there with integrated bluetooth and keyless entry etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Tooler wrote: »
    I've got a '98 Audi A3 that I'm looking to trade in. Hoping to get ~€4,000 trade in on that car and then willing to spend another ~€10,000.
    I live in the city centre and nearly always have to park in tight spots, so looking for something of similar size to the A3. Preference for a 1.6 petrol engine, although I'd get a 1.4 if I thought it was zippy enough.

I'd love to get another A3, but they're too expensive. Was thinking of a Golf, but they're pretty pricey too and a bit too common.

I quite like the Opel Astra, but it seems hard to get a 1.6. The Seat Leon or Mazda3 seem pretty good too.

Leon.
    Nice car ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

vectra wrote: »
    Leon.
    Nice car ;)

My bro has an altea, its like a leon except with higher roof, he got the 1.6 version, must admit I was sceptical when I first heard he bought it, but was very impressed by how solid it was and good performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭vectra

There you go.
    Not the latest model but fresh as a dasiy ;)

LEON 1.6 petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Tooler

Cheers for that.

Just did a bit of research on the Leon & Altea - they sound pretty decent. The Focus gets great reviews everywhere and they're probably easier to resell, but I just don't like them - can't put my finger on it, but I'm not a Ford fan...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Am i wrong to think that €4000 is a bit ambitious to look for as a trade in value. Maybe against an inflated price only. IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Cheers for that.

Just did a bit of research on the Leon & Altea - they sound pretty decent. The Focus gets great reviews everywhere and they're probably easier to resell, but I just don't like them - can't put my finger on it, but I'm not a Ford fan...

Drive a focus after your A3 (in fact any A3) and you'll be converted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Tooler

Am i wrong to think that €4000 is a bit ambitious to look for as a trade in value. Maybe against an inflated price only. IMO
    Ye, it potentially is. The car's not in great nic at the moment, so I might have to revise that estimate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Im like the OP im just not a ford fan, maybe its the bad memory of my dads Ford Sierra 2.3ltr diesel tank! He had a focus in 00 just never fell for it!
    I would go for the Leon 1.6, newer model if you could get one.

I went for a Mazda3 last year, i really like the car, wish iw could afford the MPS version but its nice to drive, i think you'll find any 1.4 sluggish after an A3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

I love my 2005 Astra 1.7 CDTi. I love it so much I'm trying to sell it to a very careful and discerning someone. My car is in my sig.

In all seriousness I do like the Astra's, and if I got the cash I'd head out and buy a new model....

• Advertisement
Advertisement