Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know of a Hiking group with people in their 20's?

Options
  • 26-05-2008 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Does anyone know of a Hiking group with a younger age group? I'd like to join a hiking group with poeple in and around their 20's in the South Dublin area. Most of the groups I find online are people in their 40's - 50's.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 redelephant

Can't help with your query about dublin groups in dublin as i'm in a different part of the country. But don't let the age group put u off - I'm one of the youngest in the group i hike with but it's fine - you meet lots of interesting people u might never get talking to otherwise and there is plenty of craic

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The thing is though even if you did manage to find a hillwalking group that was so ageist as to exclude people who were 'too old', then after a while they'd all become 'too old' too and no young people would want to join and you'd be back to square one:)

I'm both 'old' and a member of a walking group, but I don't care how old any of the other members are and neither does anyone else .. it really just doesn't matter. In any case there are people in the club who are even older than I am who can walk the pants off of me, and probably most 20-something year olds as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭robvam

I was not intending to be ageist and I apologise if anyone interprets it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I don't think you'll have much luck to be honest.
    The only way you'll be in with a chance is if you're in college and join up with the adventure soc. Or even if there's a college or uni nearby you could pop in and explain the situation to them. I know one or two lads that weren't studying in WIT at the time that used to accompany trips.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

robvam wrote: »
    I was not intending to be ageist and I apologise if anyone interprets it that way.
    Sorry if my comments came over that way ... I didn't mean them to, and I did put a smiley at the end though :)

It is a bit of a chicken and egg situation though .. if nobody young joins then any potential young members are put off joining because of the age profile of the existing members, which just reinforces the situation. In the meantime the existing membership just gets older (as you do!) and the situation gets worse year by year. We've had a bit of an exodus of younger members recently, totally unconnected to their age btw, and since then have had one or two instances of newer younger members deciding not to come out any more because of the age profile of the rest of the group. Sometimes you just can't win.

As a more practical suggestion, and I don't know whether they allow people along who aren't students, but I believe UCD have a walking club.

• Advertisement
Advertisement