Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autopilot landing in FS X

Options
  • 26-05-2008 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Is it possible to land a B737/747 etc in auto pilot mode on FS X? Is there a procedure to do this?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Tune it into the r/w VOR ,intercept the ILS and glideslope , put the machine into APR mode and that will get you very nearly there if you manage the throttles properly.

Don't have FSX though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

ok, so lets just take runway 28 for example and I'll talk you through it.
    Fire up a 737 for this one!:)
    Ok, first set the course to "281" and on your nav1 radio tune 108.90(wrong in real life now I know, but in fsx its 108.90) now, climb and maintain 3000ft. Go about 11 miles out and turn inbound for runway 28, as the needle approaches the centre, turn off the altitude hold on the autopilot and hit "app"
    which is approach hold, it will fly the approach. I disengage the autopilot at 500ft and land the old fashioned way but you can keep the approach hold on technically to touchdown, won't make a very nice landing though.

Charts can be obtained from here for runway 28 ils approach: http://www.iaa.ie/safe_reg/iaip/Published%20Files/AIP%20Files/AD/Chart%20Files/EIDW/EI_AD_2_EIDW_24-19_en.pdf
    Never mind the holds or any of that, just focus on the final approach to 28 and any waypoints that may help you.

Hope this helps,
    Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Cant remember for sure but in the missions in FSX isnt the carrabian landing mission into st marteen done with ILS? Also the commercial pilot mission from rome to naples in the A320...theres also a tutorial in the tranitioning to jets lessons i think...but Darraghs tutorial above is good :)

Failing all that type "ILS tutorial" into youtube and there's a good few videos :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Grand so. I finally got the 747 down safely in Dublin on 28 although there were some hairy moments. I take it you need to extend the flaps and slow to 140 ish prior to enaging the glidescope? You can't see the runway until you are almost down, is this normal?

Also when on the ground how do you stop the plane fast?

Also how do you find the ILS freqs in FS X?

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I take it you need to extend the flaps and slow to 140 ish prior to enaging the glidescope? You can't see the runway until you are almost down, is this normal?

Ok, you don't need to start slowing to 140 until your close enought to the runway, although in a 747 i'd keep it up to 150, 140 is perfect for a 737 which is IMO the best to start with.

When on the ground, first thing on touchdown press the "/" key. That does the spoilers, then hold F2 for the reverse thrust, brakes are there if you need them too.

As regards ILS frequencies, you'll have to look up the charts. Just remember fsx is pretty much based on 2004 frequencies.
    Dublin - Runway 28 is by default 108.900 in fsx, but in real life it has been changed to 111.350
    Cork - Runway 35 is by default 109.900 but in real life is now changed to 109.150
    Shannon - Runway 24 is by default 109.500 but in real life it is now changed to 110.950

Check out the charts is your best bet, they will give you the course heading for the approach, if you want any frequencies, just post them here and I'll do my best for ya!

All charts for Ireland are here:http://www.iaa.ie/safe_reg/iaip/aip_directory.htm
    Go down to the very bottom of the page

Once you get these ILS approaches you will never turn back!
    Darragh
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Grand so. I finally got the 747 down safely in Dublin on 28 although there were some hairy moments. I take it you need to extend the flaps and slow to 140 ish prior to enaging the glidescope? You can't see the runway until you are almost down, is this normal?

Go to the map and click on the airport you are going to land in and you will get all the rwy frequencies.

Thank you kindly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Don't forget your fuel as well, in real life a 747 wouldnt ever be landing with 100% fuel, set it to something like 10-20% in the weight and fuel menu, this will make it easier to handle and more realistic to land slowly. :)

pclancy wrote: »
    Don't forget your fuel as well, in real life a 747 wouldnt ever be landing with 100% fuel, set it to something like 10-20% in the weight and fuel menu, this will make it easier to handle and more realistic to land slowly. :)

Yea +1! I found that out the hard way!lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

darragh-k wrote: »
    When on the ground, first thing on touchdown press the "/" key. That does the spoilers, then hold F2 for the reverse thrust, brakes are there if you need them too.

Or before landing, hit "SHIFT+/", this will turn on auto-spoilers..

• Advertisement

On the Boeings you can set the brakes to auto.

I have noticed that the Lear jets will try to take off again when landing. What speed should you be coming in at?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

VREF with flaps 30 of around 140kts at most....

Thanks for that.

Advertisement