Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird Network Problem

Options
  • 26-05-2008 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

Hi All

I have a Server, lets call it S1.

If i try and ping S1 from any other machine on the network by name or ip address it times out.

If i then log onto S1 and ping the machine I was trying to ping from previously it can do that fine.
    When I then go back to the other machine and try to ping S1 again it works perfectly by name or IP address. This then works fine for 4 or 5 days, no mapping problems or anything. Then the same thing happens again

All network settings etc are correct and there is no firewall running.

Any ideas

I need to start backing up S1 but its hard when the backup server( and all other machines) have this problem talking to this one server.

Rebuilding is not an option

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

Is the problem at the application level or below?
    What else have you tried?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

is it a server os or XP ? sounds like the nic is sleeping with the server during hibernation .. look at power management settings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

zod wrote: »
    is it a server os or XP ? sounds like the nic is sleeping with the server during hibernation .. look at power management settings

Was just thinking this myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

Its running Windows Server 2003
    I will check the power settings for the nic in the morning...I hop your right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭pdevo

what antivirus are you using. Have you tried disabling you antivirus and firewall and then try ping i have seen that problem caused by firewall

• Advertisement

We have Sophos running and no firewall.

Anyway I turned off the power settings as suggested below and also locked down the Port on the switch to 100FULL and set the speed of the card to the same setting.

Last night it worked so if it works for the next couple of nights I would say its sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

dar_d wrote: »
    We have Sophos running and no firewall.

Anyway I turned off the power settings as suggested below and also locked down the Port on the switch to 100FULL and set the speed of the card to the same setting.

Last night it worked so if it works for the next couple of nights I would say its sorted!
    Can you provide an ipconfig /all from Server 1 and another machine on the network, sounds like DNS issues.

I'll do that tomorrow if you like but both my colleagues and i have checked the DNS entries and they are definetly correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

shanemort wrote: »
    Can you provide an ipconfig /all from Server 1 and another machine on the network, sounds like DNS issues.
    dar_d wrote: »
    Hi All

I have a Server, lets call it S1.

If i try and ping S1 from any other machine on the network by name or ip address it times out.
    Thanks

Why would it be a DNS issue if he cannot ping the server using its IP address?

I agree with the above, sounds like a power setting on the NIC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I cant see this being a dns issue either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement