Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tue 27th May 20:30 Columbas College -v- Inter yerauldone

Options
  • 26-05-2008 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭

Really need 3 points to get the season back on track, these are a decent team and beat us 2 seasons ago but I think we've come a long way since then so this'll be a good acid test of how far we've come (assuming we have a decent portion of our squad available).

Carl -
    Martin -
    Ed -
    Dan -
    Michael -
    Geoff -
    Simon -
    Cathal -
    Colm -
    Gav -
    Sav -
    Larry -
    Dave -
    Kenny - No (honeymoon)
    Lepo -
    Jules – Yes
    Art -
    Keith -
    Eddie(Nunu) -
    Iain (j_o_c) -
    Owen -

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Fatmag

Carl -
    Martin -
    Ed -
    Dan -
    Michael -
    Geoff -
    Simon -
    Cathal -
    Colm -
    Gav -
    Sav -
    Larry -
    Dave -
    Kenny - No (honeymoon)
    Lepo -
    Jules – Yes
    Art - Yes
    Keith -
    Eddie(Nunu) -
    Iain (j_o_c) -
    Owen -
    _______

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Carl -
    Martin -
    Ed -
    Dan -
    Michael -
    Geoff -
    Simon -
    Cathal -
    Colm -
    Gav -
    Sav -
    Larry -
    Dave -
    Kenny - No (honeymoon)
    Lepo -
    Jules – Yes
    Art - Yes
    Keith -
    Eddie(Nunu) -
    Iain (j_o_c) - YES
    Owen -

As usual I'll be needing a lift from either town or a luas stop

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

a tricky game. we need to start scoring again also.

Carl -
    Martin -
    Ed - Yes
    Dan -
    Michael -
    Geoff - Yes
    Simon -
    Cathal -
    Colm -
    Gav -
    Sav -
    Larry -
    Dave -
    Kenny - No (honeymoon)
    Lepo -
    Jules – Yes
    Art - Yes
    Keith - No
    Eddie(Nunu) -
    Iain (j_o_c) - YES
    Owen -

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Good luck with it lads, I'm still here in Bucharest so I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Carl -
    Martin -
    Ed - Yes
    Dan -
    Michael -
    Geoff - Yes
    Simon -
    Cathal -
    Colm - Yes
    Gav -
    Sav -
    Larry -
    Dave -
    Kenny - No (honeymoon)
    Lepo -
    Jules – Yes
    Art - Yes
    Keith - No
    Eddie(Nunu) -
    Iain (j_o_c) - YES
    Owen -

Will be there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Carl -
    Martin -
    Ed - Yes
    Dan -
    Michael - Yes
    Geoff - Yes
    Simon -
    Cathal -
    Colm - Yes
    Gav -
    Sav -
    Larry -
    Dave -
    Kenny - No (honeymoon)
    Lepo -
    Jules – Yes
    Art - Yes

Keith - No
    Eddie(Nunu) -
    Iain (j_o_c) - YES
    Owen -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Carl -
    Martin -
    Ed - Yes
    Dan -
    Michael - Yes
    Geoff - Yes
    Simon - No (Exams)
    Cathal -
    Colm - Yes
    Gav -
    Sav -
    Larry -
    Dave -
    Kenny - No (honeymoon)
    Lepo -
    Jules – Yes
    Art - Yes
    Keith - No
    Eddie(Nunu) -
    Iain (j_o_c) - YES
    Owen -

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭BKtje

Have already sent a text to Des but work are pushing me to get this work finished before i fly away for 3 weeks next week so unless i manage to get it done early i don't think i'll be able to make this tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Only a few No replies there so we should have a decent turnout..

I can give lifts from Sandyford Luas stop at 19:45.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

I can give lifts from Sandyford Luas stop at 19:45.
    Nabbing one of your car spots :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭thelepo

Gileadi wrote: »
    Carl -
    Martin -
    Ed - Yes
    Dan -
    Michael - Yes
    Geoff - Yes
    Simon - No (Exams)
    Cathal -
    Colm - Yes
    Gav -
    Sav -
    Larry -
    Dave -
    Kenny - No (honeymoon)
    Lepo - Yes
    Jules – Yes
    Art - Yes
    Keith - No
    Eddie(Nunu) -
    Iain (j_o_c) - YES
    Owen -

I'll also jump in the care with Jules if that is alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

car too please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Carl -
    Martin -
    Ed - Yes
    Dan -Yes
    Michael - Yes
    Geoff - Yes
    Simon - No (Exams)
    Cathal -
    Colm - Yes
    Gav -
    Sav - Yes
    Larry -
    Dave - Yes
    Kenny - No (honeymoon)
    Lepo - Yes
    Jules – Yes
    Art - Yes
    Keith - No
    Eddie(Nunu) -
    Iain (j_o_c) - YES
    Owen - No

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭WeAreShels

I shall also be making my comeback after having finished exams. My 2nd last match this season too.

nice wet eveving for football, plenty of shots and follow ups. and i bags the first yellow card for sliding tackle :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mrgavo

Carl -
    Martin -
    Ed - Yes
    Dan -Yes
    Michael - Yes
    Geoff - Yes
    Simon - No (Exams)
    Cathal -
    Colm - Yes
    Gav - Yes
    Sav - Yes
    Larry -
    Dave - Yes
    Kenny - No (honeymoon)
    Lepo - Yes
    Jules – Yes
    Art - Yes
    Keith - No
    Eddie(Nunu) -
    Iain (j_o_c) - YES
    Owen - No

Lost 2-4.

Ed and Eddie scored.

a 4-2 defeat, against in my opinion, a very good team. we took the lead from the kick off. i just saw the keeper missing and hit it. went in. art and eddie had chances to make it 2-0 and then they caught us on the break with anog from myself (i was on a hat trick after 5 minutes!) . however, it was a soft goal to give away, a simple shout and i could have left it. but anyway, these things happen, i though us playing 3 at the back suited them as the countered attacked and caught us again and u have to say, it was an absolute cracking goal, one of the best i have seen scored against us. 4 first time passes and a cracking volley. we went 4 at the back and settled in, hlf time 2-1.

we started well and equalised straight away, eddie knocking in jules and then daves flick from a free kick. however, they took the lead again, another deflection, not sure off who, but we should have dont better, their player ran from the center circle to the edge of the box unchallenged. then came the key moments, i had a chance from a corner, should haveone better really and then eddie hit the crossbar from a one on one. now they saw u make ur own luck, but we need some. they went down the field and scored, from a corner. that was with about 7 or 8 minutes left. its unusual for us to concede from a corner but these things happen, we scored from a set piece and conceded from one. but we should have done better. 2 players rose unchallenged.

from there on it, it was game over and neither side threatened really. overall, i thought they dragged us all over the place, especially with 3 at the back. they had 3 or 4 cracking players, especially in the middle and on the right wing. with a little bit of luck it would have been 3-3 entering the final minutes, but we are used to not getting the rub of the green. overall, they fought alot harder than us and picked up the second balls all over the place. they also took their chances, albeit with 2 deflctions. as a team,we didnt work hard enough and didnt defend well either. oveall, they deserved the win i think, but we could have sneaked something.

Agree with Ed's post - they did pull us all over the place at times and our workrate wasn't quite what it should be though they didn't have many chances besides their goals and we had chances to secure a draw. They were a better team than they looked in action, if that makes sense.

Am really gutted by this one as we just didn't click for some reason and it took us a long time to settle, 3 at the back was worth trying but didn't work as we ended up with centre midfielders covering wide positions to free up the wingbacks,leaving holes in the middle. 4-4-2 gave us balance and we got into it a bit more.

Personally I'm gutted cos that was my worst performance for some time, long day in work and the energy level just wasn't there so I was slack in posession and workrate wasn't what it usually is though I felt I benefitted from a 5 minute breather and was more in it when I came back on for the last 15. As I said, we can just about get away with it when one or 2 are having off days like that, but in possession tonight as a team we just weren't making it stick....it was just one of them days though they are a good team in fairness.

Great idea and execution from Ed for the goal from the kick-off and agree the goal conceded from the corner was very poor, particularly as we were well organised before it was taking so I can't understand how 2 of our men were under it but didn't leave the ground, but it's a very rare occurence and our record on set pieces is generally good so let's not dwell on it.

Every point gained from here on out still means something for our own pride and progression so let's keep fighting to finish as high as we can and grow as a team....

I just want to say a few things, this could get long, or maybe not, depending if I get on a roll or not.

I may even pull it out and start a new thread.

We'll see.

Anyway.

I'm shouldering the majority of the blame for recent bad results.

I've been trying some new things lately that just don't seem to be coming off for one reason or another, so I think we'll be sticking to tried and trusted in future on the pitch. Maybe I'm not getting my ideas across clearly enough, maybe I'm asking players to fit into square holes that they aren't used to, I don't know, either way, 4-4-2 from now on in, unless we are really stuck. I don't believe in sticking forward minded players in defensive positions, so you're never going to see a Gav or a Dave or a Eddie in defence. And vice versa, Cathal is never going to be playing on the wing for instance. I think them decisions are fairly self-explanatory.

I think we are really, unquestioningly suffering from a very unsettled defence this season, in eight games the same back three/four haven't started one of them. That's not the fault of the lads, outside committments and injuries are unavoidable.

Also, though, our play in the opponents half is good, but the final ball, the shot, the pass just isn't coming off for us. Our build up play is good at times, but sometimes there's no end product.

The standard in this league is definitely a step up from last season, and the season before.

There are better teams out there. I'm not saying they are a million miles better than us, but each team seems to have a little bit more in reserve than we are used to maybe, however, I do feel that with a settled defence, and a strong startingXI week-in week-out we could take these teams.

Let me expand a bit more. We are a better team than we were a year ago (this particular has been together a year now, with one or two additions), but the teams we are playing are better too. We just need to push on a bit, the talent is there, for sure.

Which brings me on to my next point. I really think that if we had have gotten some kind of weekly session up and running, then we'd be the better for it, but there's nothing more I can do on that point.

I'm glad we are playing at what seems to be a higher standard, it's testing us more, and that's what football is all about.

It's tsesting me too. It's a hard balancing act to get right. Do I pack the midfield to stifle the opposition? Throw another attacking option on to go for the win but leave us exposed at the back? I have been trying to go in with two game plans recently, as you will have noticed me saying we start like this, but we may change to that later. I'm still learning, unfortunately.

Just on what Jules said, and did tonight. And it was touched on last week. Coming off for a breather. We were able to rotate the three wingers tonight, which was good, Jules asked to come off, fair enough. This is going to get more important in the next few weeks. If you are feeling a little out of breath, nobody is going to think any less of you if you stick up the hand and ask for a breather. I might not notice you are tired, or whatever, make the decision for me. Let me know.

We are losing a few players now, so the lads who come every week, and maybe not get on, keep coming, we'll need you for the next ten games we have left this season. That's more than half the season left.

Also, if there are any friends out there who you think might want a game, ask them, we could probably do with the extra bodies in a few weeks.

On that note, I'm off to bed.

If a discussion away from tonight's game happens after this, I'll split the posts in the morning.

• Advertisement

to be honest des, its easy to point the blame at this and that, but the reality is we made mistakes last night as a team. me and karl messed up for the first goal, our midfield didnt close the 3rd goal and not one player attacked the 4th goal. these things happen, we are getting killed on individual mistakes. the same happened last week and the week before and its different players the whole time.

up the field, we are missing chances. its good that we are creating them, but we need to be taking more. so as i said, its as a team we are failing. but the margain is small.

on last night, the only thing i think cost us a bit was 3 at the back. i wasnt comfortable one bit in it and neither was geoff and Lepo. they played a counter attacking game and that is lethal with only 3 back. they also had 2 pacy wingers, which meant every time they attacked, we were a man down in the middle, sometimes 2. it ended up with the center backs out of position all the time, hence how they got the 2 goals. we also saw the suituation where sav ended up playing the majority of the first half as a right back and he is one of our best attacking players. we lost our shape completely in the first 15 minutes.

3 at the back has its benifits, however, it does not suit at 11 a side astro with no offsides. its grand changing things after a while, but with the speed and strength these lads had last night, it didnt suit us. we conceded 2 goals with 3 at the back in the first 15 minutes. at 4 at the back, we were far more stable.

as i said before though, u learn far more from a defeat than a victory. at least we lost to a good team who will take points off the other teams above us no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭thelepo

Ah Des relax me oul flower.
    If the passes aren't coming together on the pitch there isn't much we can ask of you. We could have gotten something out of that match last night. Eddie hit the bar, nearly scoring to make it 3-3.

Yeh Des I don't think you should be shouldering much of the blame. You've experimented with a few things to see what suits the squad available to you. Some have come off, some haven't, that's to be expected and it's only a problem if the same mistakes are being repeated. That's not the case - once you have identified something as a mistake you have addressed it and it generally hasn't re-occurred, that's pretty good management in my book and that's why there's never been any Des Out campaigns ;).

There's rarely any surprise on the selection front either and I'd say that's cos the selection generally makes sense with the squad available to you - people will always have their own personal opinions but I don't think anyone can say you're off the wall in terms of selecting the best team available.

As I've said before, only thing I'd disagree with is leaving us short in the middle a couple of times. I'm fairly objective and self-critical (as my posts on here reflect) so I think I generally call it as it is and acknowledge when we get overrun in midfield when it's down to us central midfielders playing poorly or when it's down to the system. This week it was down to us, me in particular though none of us were on form, playing poorly.

There's been a couple of times when it was down to decisions which were mainly made to chase the game which is fair enough when we were left light in the middle. In those cases it can actually look like the 2 in there are playing poorly when it's more that we're under equipped. In my opinion, we don't have many central midfielders that have the experience that's needed to play as part of a 2 man central midfield when we're under pressure. We have a good few that can play as part of a 3 man centre or as a 2 against a weak side, but I feel to play 2 in the centre against a good team, those players need to know the position inside out and that means all the little things that mightn't be obvious to players in other positions e.g. positioning not just yourself but knowing where your partner is at all times. I think I can do that job (hopefully more effectively after the surgery removes some constraints) and Kenny is clearly in that mould of hard-worker who knows the right positioning both for defence and attack and can pick a pass too. Beyond that Neil is the next clear example of that type of player I can remember.

There's plenty of very talented players in our squad and many of those have virtues that serve us really well in other positions and in 3 man midfields,so this is not a criticism of anybody or trumping up those mentioned above, it's just my opinion that when we play only 2 in the middle we're thin on personnell to do that job, e.g as per last few games with Kenny away. I think Des' use of 3-5-2 and 4-5-1 recently was in some way an acknowledgement of that, but on the other hand I agree 4-4-2 does suit us better as a formation, often with a striker dropping off. I don't have a miracle cure for that, getting fullbacks and wingers to press the middle when we don't have the ball always helps and Des has called that out often. At 3 paragraphs on one point that's probably rambling but I guess what I'm getting at is as my aul lad always says, football is like chess - lose the middle and you lose the game and I think losing the middle due to not being correctly equipped there has played some part in the recent results though I don't think Des can regarded as to blame for that, it's just the reality that the strengths in our squad lie elsewhere.

So yeh, don't beat yourself up on it Des, you've done a great job getting the team to this stage - I don't care what results say, there's not one team that has played us in the last year that hasn't left the pitch thinking they were in a tough game so credit to you for building that from such flimsy beginnings. And I know that much as they're far too shy about saying it, all the lads really do appreciate what you're doing for the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Yeh **** result lads. Hard luck. You knew I was on holidays right? Just noticed it wasn't on the start of the thread there.

Advertisement