Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat denaturation of an enzyme-Biology

Options
  • 26-05-2008 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

Could anyboy please explain to me why Ph buffer 9 is added.

Also, what other effects can cause enzyme denaturation.

Cheers, find this exp difficult and I hear its tipped to come up!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

joey54 wrote: »
    Could anyboy please explain to me why Ph buffer 9 is added.

If I can remember correctly, the high pH gives an enviroment that would denature the enzyme, ie (if you do chemistry, a base is a proton acceptor) it takes H + ions away from the enzyme so it doesn't work correctly. If the enzyme doesn't work properly, you wont get the same amount of product, ie. level of foam.
    The normal working pH for most enzymes in the body is about 7-8. If you raise the pH, it is unsuitable, and hence wont work.
    BTW, these values would be different if you are talking about plant enzymes.
    what other effects can cause enzyme denaturation.

Heat is the big one, the chemical structure of almost all proteins (inc. enzymes) are changed when heated, just think of frying an egg. how the colour changes as it heats.

Sorry if that stuff is too complicated, reply to this saying it is, if it is :cool:
    Hope it helps though, best of luck.

Because simply, catalase works best at pH 9. Its the optimum pH for catalase.

Enzymes can be denatured by temperatures over 40 degrees, unsuitable pH, inhibitors and radiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

Thanks guys, its way clearer now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

Because simply, catalase works best at pH 9. Its the optimum pH for catalase.

Enzymes can be denatured by temperatures over 40 degrees, unsuitable pH, inhibitors and radiation.

Apologies, i cant remember it that well so i thought it was human enzymes ye were working with.

Just being precise, are you sure inhibitors actually denature an enzyme, they either bind to the active site or to another part of the enzyme, either blocking the active site or inducing a conformational change that stops the enzyme binding properly to the substrate, would you call that denaturation?

Advertisement